All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Almond/Soy Milk, PB, Nuts, Bananas, and Mayo Questions!!! new
      #355079 - 01/31/10 06:46 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Have you tried rice protein powder. I use Nutribiotic plain rice protein mixed with rice milk. I am ibs-d (pseudodiarrhea) not c so i am not sure this would work for you.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#355126 - 01/31/10 05:46 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Which Rice Protein Powder?
Most of the ones I heard of were Brown Rice...which I know I could not handle.

I did find online white rice http://gnhealthfoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=260&zenid=540d5a424be05bf5bfa1a4a43f264469 and even pea protein powder http://www.amazon.com/Pea-Protein-Unflavored-2-lbs/dp/B001DB4MFO/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3.

I am curious, what is your opinion?
Do you think these are more likely to be IBS friendly if I get problems when taking Egg White Powder too much?
Or is it same old?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355127 - 01/31/10 06:08 PM
capricorn1942

i am ok with brown rice protein (Nutribiotic brand) but the one you found is made from white rice. rice is supposed to be very non-allergenic and in my experience does not cause much gas. of course, rice is "binding" and so might not be good for ibs-c.

--------------------

#355131 - 01/31/10 09:54 PM
Naturapanic

I don't see how Brown Rice could be tolerated...since it is IF.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355132 - 01/31/10 10:27 PM
capricorn1942

both brown and white rice are higher in protein than any other grain except quinoa. the protein is extracted attempting to leave the rest behind. some bran may come along with the protein from brown rice but not much and i can tolerate that small amount of rice bran.

--------------------

brown rice new
      #355148 - 02/01/10 12:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

First off Naturapanic, don't be too afraid of IF. You already eat some and defend it. IF is necessary and especially good for C- with some SF. The protein powder has taken just about everything out except the protein.
My question has always been why is there protein in rice powder and none in rice milk? I hate that there is no protein in rice milk!

Many people are great with brown rice BTW. I just dislike the taste unfortunately.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: brown rice new
      #355187 - 02/02/10 05:47 PM
Naturapanic

Well...three questions.

1) I went on a bodybuilding site and was SCOLDED for suggesting that I stop using Egg Powder and switch to Rice or Pea Powder. They claim
Quote:

-First of all, the rice protein is complete garbage. don't use it.

-Second of all, Pea Protein has a very poor usability score or biologigal value (bv), meaning you will only be able to use about 50% of what you eat, verses 100% with egg protien.

-There is more. Pea protien has NONE of the of the gwroth factors contained within egg protien, which are necessary for optimal growth. This is one of the primary reason animal protien is so much better at stimulating growth.

-Also, it is very low in the aminos that are the most critical for growth. This is very important, as surplusses of certain aminos can stimulate growth. Pea protien does a job of it.

So my question...if trying to build muscle...would Rice/Pea Protein indeed be worthless since it has a lower biological value (bv) and is an incomplete non-animal protein?

2) I am very cautious with Brown Rice...I know in the past when I have had some organic cereals that have brown rice flour they have caused me to bloat.
This is why I am afraid to try brown rice powder-I fear since I do not respond well to brown rice flour this would be the same.
Fair point or worth the try?

3) Which do you think would be most tolerable for an IBS C and B person like me....who has sensitivity?
-Brown Rice/White Rice/or Pea powder?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355323 - 02/05/10 05:09 PM
Little Minnie

When you bloat a lot like you and me, can you really say something made you bloat? The same foods one day can be eaten without so much bloat and the next day the bloating could be horrible. I think rice powder, like rice milk, is the most tolerable. I don't know how good of a protein it is though.
If you want a tip for building muscle it is this: do manual labor as much as possible. Dig, lift, chop etc. That is what Jason Statham does for his workouts (and Rocky in Rocky IV). Jason Statham is the Transporter guy, yum!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (02/05/10 05:12 PM)

#355326 - 02/05/10 07:46 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't speak to 1), but re: 2) and 3), I believe that rice is the only grain that doesn't produce gas. However, it is very constipating for some people (like me), which would cause bloating. I also find brown rice protein powder makes me C.

I think I mentioned this to you already but I eat hemp protein, I find it very tolerable.

Best of luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#355341 - 02/06/10 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

I'm trying to remember last summer when I did rice protein. I seem to think I pooped much more than normal, not less.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1072 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9925

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review