All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
can fiber supplements be too binding?
      #35360 - 01/05/04 12:37 PM
Loriann

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: coastal southern California

I have IBS-D when I am having problems. I don't have it everyday - it comes and goes, sometimes I go through periods where it's worse than others. I'm 44 and have had it off and on since I was 10 depending on my stress level and diet. Anyway, I read Heather's book a few months ago and started following the diet pretty closely and taking the Acacia. I only take about 1 1/2 tsp twice a day and since I've started doing that when I get an attack the cramping seems worse because I don't go running to the bathroom a lot like I always have. Last night was a bad one and for the first few hours I couldn't go at all, then I went a few times with normal BM and then it turned to D. It almost seems better before because I would run to the bathroom 5 or 6 times with D and it would seem to get it out of my system and I'd feel better faster. Anyone have any idea if this change is due to the fiber? (last nights attack was my fault - I ate no no foods) Thanks for any help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: can fiber supplements be too binding? new
      #35388 - 01/05/04 02:11 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was put on fiber supplements and the only thing that it did for me was make my cramping worse and I still headed for the bathroom just as much except that when I was in there I couldn't go. It was the most horrible experience of my life. My personal suggestion to you is to simply increase the fiber in your diet. I find that if I get enough of the right balance of fiber, I do really well. Believe me, it is going to take time to get the right balance so that you seem regular, but you are going to have to be patient. It's worth it.
GOOD LUCK!!

--------------------
Natalie

#35393 - 01/05/04 03:18 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Make sure you are getting enough water. The fiber needs LOTS of water to work.

Of course, it's a good idea to stay away from the no-no's too.

#35407 - 01/05/04 05:11 PM
Loriann

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: coastal southern California

Thank you so much for you response to my post - it is SO good to know that I'm not the only one who had this happen. Last night was the 3rd time it's happened since I started the fiber supplement. I am going to take your suggestion and see if things get better. Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 501

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review