All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HIGH FRUITCOSE CORN SYRUP
      #348630 - 07/31/09 06:42 PM
joanie62

Reged: 07/31/09

DOES THIS FRUITCOSE CORN SYRUP CAUSE ANYONE ELSE TO HAVE CRAMPS AND DIARREA... NOT FEELING WELL LATELY. DONT KNOW IF IT IS STRESS OR WHAT...EVERYTHING GIVES ME D BUT CARBS DONT.
HELP !!!!!!!!! WHAT SHOULD I EAT?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HIGH FRUITCOSE CORN SYRUP new
      #348633 - 07/31/09 07:08 PM
Boston_Dee

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Here is an idea - Avoid the corn syrup at all costs.

I wonder if you can tolerate mashed bananas.

I had a bout with some D today and here is what I did.

For lunch I got some plain rice from a Chinese restaurant.
I know that sounds boring but with salt it tasted good. I was hungry and did not want more D. It cured the D.

For dinner I mashed some bananas with a potato masher until they were almost liquid - (2 bananas)

I cooked some rice (but with extra water so it was a bit mushy) mixed in the bananas and it's awesome! this is great for D if you can tolerate pureed bananas. Oh and I had some toast and made a sandwich with the rice mush between the slices. If you can't eat bananas -- make some rice with extra water (white rice only) so the rice is a bit mushy -- add some salt maybe a bit of cinammon make a rice sandwich between 2 slices of white toast.

You can beat the D -- you just have to be very careful!

--------------------
Please visit me on Facebook!

#348639 - 08/01/09 12:42 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I can not have high fructose corn syrup either it really makes my stomach cramp and brings on the d. I just have to make sure I limit my amount but try to stay away from it altogether

Fructose malabsorption new
      #348642 - 08/01/09 05:28 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Foods high in excess fructose (i.e. foods that contain more fructose than glucose) such as high fructose corn syrup, honey, apples, pears, grapes, melons, etc are known to cause problems for some IBSers. It is called fructose malabsorption. In my signature line below there is a link to an article that discusses the relationship between IBS and fructose malabsorption. Figure 2 in the article contains a table of unfavorable foods that IBSers should avoid. Also, Heather has comments about excess fructose being a trigger in this newsletter. Also, if you do search of the IBS diet board you will find many postings that discuss the problems of high excess fructose foods and IBS.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348666 - 08/01/09 05:10 PM
joanie62

I can tolerate the bananas and rice. I dont know if I would put it between toast though> I will try it. This am I used cooked rice, cinammon, soy milk and sugar. it was great and helped with the D. I will try your dish next. thanks

#348667 - 08/01/09 05:17 PM
joanie62

I know what you mean. I used to be able to tolerate gatorade. it was a safe drink for me. but now it upsets me with the same symptoms. everything just bothers me. Unless of course I eat just carbs. This has been going on for 2 wks. I am starting to get worried it might be somthing else. I am however under a lot of stress. I know this can bring on the attacks more frequently. in fact my eczema has returned also. I feel like a mess. This is a wonderful board and has helped in the past.

AVOID IT! new
      #348706 - 08/03/09 04:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

watch carefully for products with it and get dressing, ketchup, drinks, sauces, etc without it. You may have to go to the natural department to find options.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

bananas new
      #348777 - 08/06/09 11:59 AM

Unregistered

When u say tolerate bananas..do people with d have problems with bananas and why? never heard of rice with bananas..is it actually good?

Re: bananas new
      #348798 - 08/06/09 08:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Extra ripe bananas can trigger D in some. Green bananas can make many people C. Best to eat them medium to ripe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348808 - 08/07/09 07:46 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I have to eat them ever-so-slightly green. If there's any black on them at tall (even a spot) they're usually too ripe and they give me terrible gas. (But, for some reason, in banana bread they're ok - go figure!)

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#348815 - 08/07/09 09:16 AM

Unregistered

why is this? it sounds weird..looks like I need to take some more notes about ibs.

Re: Fructose malabsorption new
      #348816 - 08/07/09 09:42 AM

Unregistered

do you think people with d may be more sensitive to it? also is it one of those foods that make your bathroom visit smell really bad?

#348819 - 08/07/09 10:06 AM
Syl

Not sure they are more sensitive but it will definitely make D worse if you are sensitive.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#348820 - 08/07/09 10:07 AM
Syl

When a banana ripens the starches turn to fructose which can cause problems for many IBSers.

--------------------

#349290 - 08/22/09 10:21 AM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

Syl,

Can you give me an example of what you eat in a day if you are a fructose absorber and have IBS?

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

#349291 - 08/22/09 10:28 AM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

I have been eating gluten free, dairy free, nut free bars that are made with brown rice syrup, brown rice flakes, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, evaporated cane juice, dried cranberries, fig paste, date paste. Obviously-- some of these things are high in fructose. Does anyone know of a bar or easy snack (other than lots of bread which I am already eating) that is easy to carry around and requires no preparation. I am a student and I would like to have a snack on hand during class. I really suspect that I might be a fructose malabsorber because most fruit upsets my stomach.

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

#349292 - 08/22/09 10:32 AM
Syl

Hi Penny

There is a link in my signature to a detailed medical article on fructose malabsorption and IBS. In this article figure 2 contains a table of favorable and unfavorable foods. I follow the advice in that table closely as well as following the EFI diet.

I hope this helps. Ask more questions if you need to Oh and tell us if it makes a difference.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review