All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does anyone worry about eating too much sugar?
      #346961 - 06/07/09 12:28 AM
bubbles07

Reged: 05/19/09

I have only recently embarked on the IBS diet whilst waiting for a colonoscopy appointment. It is working well for me but I'm worried about my sugar intake. Previously I was a very healthy eater eg: wholegrains, fruits and veges by the truckload. Obviously this is not an option now but the things I am eating eg: cereals, plain biscuits, bread, crackers, white rice, rice milk etc all contain sugar. I feel very unhealthy although my tummy symptoms (gas/bloating/D) are improving. I have also put on a kilo of weight!
HELP!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sugar isn't a problem for IBS ... new
      #346968 - 06/07/09 07:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

but it can be a problem for weight control.

Rice and rice milk don't contain sugar. For example, Rice dream doesn't contain sugar. Bread and crackers shouldn't contain sugar. Cereals such as regular (not instant) oatmeal don't contain sugar.

If you are careful you should be able to select products that contain a minumum amount of sugar then the only thing you have to worry about it the amount of sugar you add.

Welcome to the board.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

those foods new
      #347010 - 06/08/09 04:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

don't have *added* sugar, but rice milk is basically sugar water because it is made from brown rice syrup- a sweetener. I believe it has 12 grams of sugar per cup (read this morning).
There is no reason to eat sugar or simple carbs on the IBS diet. They are fine for the gut but other foods are also ok for the gut and healthier.
I lost 12 pounds when starting the diet due to cutting out fatty, normal foods. I can see if your diet was really lean before, the change could make you gain weight. Concentrate on the safe fruits and veggies and the safe but good for you grains like quinoa, oats, cornmeal, brown rice, barley (the last two need caution by some). Add lean protein and nuts and it should still be healthy but also IBS safe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: those foods new
      #347018 - 06/08/09 07:57 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe the sugars in Rice Dream (FAQ ) come from the enzymatic breakdown of the starch from rice into sugar. The release of these sugars naturally occur in the GI track when rice eaten.

Brown rice syrup is produced using a similar enzymatic conversion process.

Some rice milks actually have added sugar or syrup.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1580 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review