All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
triggers vs possible gas increasing foods/things
      #344575 - 04/16/09 07:13 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have been thinking a lot about the inulin in Luna bars and how it has been presumed for so long that Luna bars were safe (and maybe the ingredients changed sometime). It got me thinking about foods that maybe aren't triggers but need caution and are in a separate group. Triggers, IMO, are red meat, dairy, high fat, alcohol, caffeine and artificial sweeteners. IF is not a trigger in that way, but needs caution and should be eaten safely. Then there are the foods that aren't forbidden but that some choose not to eat: beans, cole crops (broccoli, cabbage etc), sulfur containing stuff (onions, garlic, eggs, some dried fruits), soy, granola, barley and lentils, and I think inulin should be in this category (at this time I do). They are things that normal people sometimes get gas from. Then there are the extra things like MSG. Then there is fructose which is in the bean category UNLESS you have a confirmed sensitivity and then it is a main trigger.
Also in the bean category are chewing gum, using straws, taking naps and other things that cause bloating and gas. This is how I view it at this time and only my personal opinion and just based on some new ideas I had of understanding triggers and other factors.
So I suppose the stuff in the bean category, as I call it, should be used with caution on a personal basis. But that people need to know that some of those things cause gas, etc.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: triggers vs possible gas increasing foods/things new
      #344576 - 04/16/09 07:22 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Very good observation Little Minnie. That was a great post. The inulin is definitely a trigger for me (i.e. it causes great pain and gas, bloating, etc.)The chewing gum, straws, and naps are also other things that swell my abdomen. I hope people read your post and consider all of these normal, everyday occurences as potential danger. Thanks again for insights!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Gas maybe a trigger new
      #344577 - 04/16/09 07:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Over the past few years it has been reported and confirmed that increased methane gas produced in the colon correlates with increased constipation. For example, see the report in the research library. It has been speculated that one reason the that some antibiotics and the probiotic in Danone Activia - Bifidobacterium lactis - are effective for some with IBS-C is because this bacteria reduces methane or methane producing bacteria in the colon. At the moment it is not understood why those with C have more methane producing bacteria (methogens) in their colonic flora or what foods these methogens ferment to produce methane.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344579 - 04/16/09 07:58 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I notice increased pain after naps too why do you think that would be??

#344581 - 04/16/09 08:03 AM
Kappy

In my opinion, the naps make your bowls think you are going to sleep for 8 hours like a normal night's sleep. When you wake up in just an hour or so, your bowls revolt because they didn't get the full 8 hours. Does that make sense? It does to me. It's like they want the rest too, but not just an hour or so but the full night's rest.

--------------------

#344582 - 04/16/09 08:12 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Little Minnie, I so agree with you. It is such an individual thing, as I said in another post. You can be aware of trigger foods, but sometimes they may not be trigger foods for you. I do agree that dairy, red meat, high fat, alcohol, caffeine, and artificial sweetners should be avoided, not only by those with IBS, but everyone in general. This is where Heather's diet excels!

IF is so necessary for a complete and balanced diet. And as you say for some, not all, this must be balanced with SF, very carefully so as not to cause symptoms. But, some people can handle raw veggies, as myself, with no symptoms.

Naps do not bother me at all. My most difficult time is when I wake up in the AM. That is when the bloat is the absolute worst for me.

Nice thoughtful post, Minnie.

NAPS new
      #344585 - 04/16/09 08:26 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

oh my I can't have my doughnuts or naps on saturdays anymore....

Re: NAPS new
      #344588 - 04/16/09 09:06 AM
Kappy

Ooooohhhh... doughnuts. they make me weak in the knees haha. No more naps on Saturdays and Sundays for me either.

--------------------

#344595 - 04/16/09 09:40 AM
ksymonds84

Reged: 03/23/05
Loc: Colorado Springs

This is my first post even though i've been a member since 2005, I am more of a reader that wants to learn. I started reading this board again a couple months ago. For the past 1 1/2 years I thought I had a problem with gluten but am coming to the conclusion that it is IBS with wheat, high fructose (especially honey and apples),raw vegetables and dairy being my triggers. I agree that some triggers should be looked at maybe with caution. I can drink decaf coffee with no problem but caffeine no-way. Everyone is so individual...great post little minnie!

--------------------
IBS A for over 22 years, lactose intolerant

#344622 - 04/16/09 06:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I do agree that dairy, red meat, high fat, alcohol, caffeine, and artificial sweetners should be avoided, not only by those with IBS, but everyone in general. This is where Heather's diet excels!

Isn't that the truth!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6436

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review