All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Probiotic for IBS-C
      #344237 - 04/08/09 09:37 AM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

I have read several post for probiotics for IBS-D but not constipation prone. My daughter has rett syndrome and we have tried several probiotics over the years like Culturelle GG, primal defense, and some from Metagenics but they have all caused her intestinal pain and gas where she could not tolerate them. We always started at small dose and worked up but no success. She is dependent on enemas every day in order to have a bm so I'm sure this isn't good for her intestinal flora. She is IBS-C, lots of intestinal spasms and gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotic for IBS-C new
      #344238 - 04/08/09 09:45 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Relatively few probiotics have been shown to be effective for IBS. However, two probiotics have been clinically shown to be effective for IBS-C: Align which contains Bifidobacterium infantis and the probiotic in Activia yogurt which contains Bifidobacterium lactis (see this posting in the research library). Many probiotics are likely to cause an increase in bloating and gas for up to 10-14 days until the gut gets accustom to them.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344240 - 04/08/09 11:00 AM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

Thank you so much for your reply. I would love to give the Align a try and even the yogurt you suggested, Activa, but she is lactose intolerant so don't think I could give her the yogurt. I also think I saw that Activa has HFCS which my daughter doesn't tolerate. She isn't able to swallow pills. Is Align in capsule form where I can break it open and give just a 1/4 of it to begin with. Also even a little gas/bloating sends my daughter off the deep end with significant outbursts with screaming and hurting self so it is hard to get past that 10 -14 day period of getting used to a probiotic.

#344242 - 04/08/09 11:15 AM
Syl

I believe Align is in a capsule which you can open. Not everyone gets gas and bloating. In the US plain or natural activia does not have HFCS. The plain is not available in Canada so I made my own using a flavored Activia for a starter. It is really simple. Also, you can put lactase enzyme to break down lactose into simple digestible sugars.

Good luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#344243 - 04/08/09 11:35 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

You should also make sure there is no Inulin or FOS in the probiotic. These are prebiotics, that feed the good gut bacteria, and cause gas and bloating. She will do much better without these ingredients and hopefully surpass some of that waiting time.

I hope this is helpful!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#344245 - 04/08/09 11:59 AM
Syl

Fortunately, neither Align nor Activia natural/plain with B. regularlus (actually Bifidobacterium lactis) do not contain FOS or inulin.

--------------------

Re: Probiotic for IBS-C - Question for Syl/Erind - Help! new
      #344246 - 04/08/09 12:08 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I am taking a probiotic called Bifidus Balance +FOS. I have only taken one today for the first time. After lunch of a baked sweet potato and an artichoke, I got bloated, and I am now in horrible pain with spasms. I just forced down a banana cause my tummy is growling too. I can usually handle the artichoke and sweet potato with no problem. Yesterday did not eat anything out of the ordinary, the usual oatmeal, fruits, and veggies. Monday is the same, and Monday I had two extra T of Acacia fiber added to my usual 3 T because my belly was hurting.

Do you think the bloating, pain, and spasms are caused by this probiotic?

It has Maltodextrin, magnesium stearate, and ascorbic acid, along with 2 billion probiotic bacteria organisms and Inulin FOS 210mg.

It also says keep refrigerated which I have yet to do.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344247 - 04/08/09 12:20 PM
Syl

It is probably caused by the FOS and inulin. It is know to cause problems for many IBSers. Heather talks about these prebiotics which are used as soluble fiber supplements on the main ( inulin and FOS) and she suggests avoiding it. Also, Jerusalem artichokes contain inulin. In fact inulin is frequently extracted from them and chicory. I have to be careful not to eat anything with FOS or inulin as it give me bloating, gas and D.

--------------------

#344248 - 04/08/09 12:29 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Thanks Syl, I must have missed that on the website. These probiotics are going in the trash. I just had my 2nd BM today, and it seems like my bloating/pain only got worse. Horribly painful, and I'm at work. I want to go home!

I didn't know that about the artichokes, I'll have to remember that. I have one more in the fridge, I am going to try to eat that one sometime this week, they are too expensive to throw away. Mercy, I love veggies, but they don't love me!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344257 - 04/08/09 01:08 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I am so sorry for your daughter. Yes, Align is in capsule form.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2366 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review