All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS.D AND DIABETES 2 - DESPERATE HELP NEEDED
      #343890 - 03/31/09 12:59 PM

Unregistered

I am on diabetes boards as well as ibs and am struggling to find people who are dealing with both conditions. Most of the people on the diabetes boards are dieting low-carb (and I do mean LOW) and I am feeling very low and desperate at the moment. All help gratefully received.

Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS.D AND DIABETES 2 - DESPERATE HELP NEEDED new
      #343904 - 03/31/09 05:25 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Judith -
You are definitely juggling 2 major issues here. Were you diagnosed w/ IBS prior to the diabetes?
Is there a possibility of you seeing and working with a nutritionist? If possible, I think that might help. I know, just for myself, I should really eat the anti-fungal diet for the Chronic Fatigue/Fibro., but when I have an IBS-D flare up (usually stress related), then I need to switch to Heather's diet w/ lots of SF - which is a "no-no" on the other diet. It almost makes you feel like you have a split personality - huh?
I pray guidance and wisdom on your search...Blessings!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#343919 - 04/01/09 10:59 AM

Unregistered

Have been living with ibs for over 35 years now and the diabetes diagnosed 4 years ago.
Interesting you mention anti-fungal diet because I have also been struggling with oral thrush since November last year - had a swab taken last week and still thrush showing up. I started with the thrush following a very strong dose of penicillin in September last year due to a very severe throat infection. Since then have had flucloxicillin for the thrush and another dose of penicillin 4 weeks ago for another severe throat infection. Am on my 4th lot of Nystan mouth drops - I am in a tight vicious circle at the moment - perhaps you could give me some hints on trying to get rid of the thrush.
Many thanks and thankyou for your reply.
Judith

#343922 - 04/01/09 12:06 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

Dear "old thrush", my friend! Dealing with it right now myself as I am back on antibiotics & corticosteroids for sinus/ear infections + pharyngitis that I let go too long - part viral, but also bacterial. I try to avoid antibiotics, but this time medical intervention was needed.
My doctors have had me on Diflucan and Nystatin many time in the past, but I just hate taking more meds - even though Nystatin originated from the dirt of the earth.... I'm trying to watch my sugar/carb intake and also taking probiotics - a combination, and due to my tonsils, throat and esophogus involvement - I'm mixing them all together in a smoothie each day.
My friend's wife had mouth cancer and this is the "home remedy" her ENT gave her: 2t Cherry Maalox mixed with 2t liquid Bennadryl - mix together, gargle 4x day, but do not swallow. Also, one person on "Yahoo Health" said she swabbed her child's mouth with Milk of Magnesia???? Again, as I'm sure you know, thrush/yeast is a side effect of diabetes, so you would need to check with a dr. before trying any home remedies...
My throat is itching just thinking about it!

Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#343930 - 04/01/09 03:01 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06

Interestingly enough, there is a fungus link to diabetes. For instance, did you know mice (used for research)don't "get" diabetes? They are injected with a mycotoxin (fungal poison) called Streptozotocin. This causes the diabetes. Your case of having oral thrush is certainly an indicator that you have a fungal problem. If you don't want to try regular prescription meds, perhaps you could try natural antifungals such as apple cider vinegar, oregano oil, olive leaf extract. An antifungal diet will certainly help clear up your thrush symptoms, and I'm betting you will see an improvement in your diabetes condition, as well. For a start, I would eliminate all grains and processed sugar. Those foods are just feeding your thrush. Probiotics are also extremely beneficial to take.

It is hard to change your diet at the beginning, especially if you are craving bread, sweets, sugar, pasta (another indicator your condition is fungal related)...but it will certainly pay off, and after you break the sugar addiction, you won't even miss it, at least not so much Good luck to you.
Kim

#343932 - 04/01/09 04:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is really difficult to have both! My advice is use a soluble fiber supplement for SF instead of eating so many simple carbs as IBS people do. And use stevia for sweetener. Also soy products like tofu can be great with their low carbs. Try to eat the low carb veggies that are also easy to digest. I am not a carb expert but mushrooms, avocado, summer squash etc are SF. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: for Kim 123 new
      #343941 - 04/01/09 07:30 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Kim,

You are so knowledgeable about fungus problems. Can you give me some more info on an anti-fungal diet and what it would involve, or hook me up to a link with more info?

I crave breads, sweets, sugar, and pasta, and have long thought that I have some kind of issue where these foods are concerned. Once I start eating them, I cannot stop. I don't feel the IBS diet is the best for me, since it involves too much white, refined, starchy, carby foods. The veggies are so overcooked/processed to death, I wonder where the nutrition is sometimes. Although it may be necessary for some to stabilize, I don't feel so well on it, so I think something else might be going on. I have recently added a green blended drink every afternoon to my diet, and I feel good when I include this. When I consume carbs (especially grains), I get fatigued and get brain fog.

My IBS symptoms are gone, since starting the hypno CD's, so I want to evaluate and get the best diet for me.

I have been reading a book, "Going Against The Grain", and it makes so much sense. I have an appointment with a very well respected nutritionist at John Hopkins next week, who may be able to provide some info to me. I just don't think I do well with carbs, whole grain or otherwise. Veggies are fine for me.

Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Lynn

#343984 - 04/02/09 01:26 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06

Lynn,

You can read more about fungus on www.knowthecause.com website. There, under the FAQ section, you can read about the diet, also read past articles, or even watch his daily streamed TV show, which usually educates his listeners of fungus, but not necessarily specific about any particular disease or syndrome. Your symptoms, including the brain fog and fatigue are sure indicators of fungus. Myself, I could/can not follow Heather's diet, as it is. Too many carbs in grains and sugar, for example, so after following an antifungal diet, I pretty well lost all my symptoms. If I start eating the old way again, I can feel the symptoms creeping back, so I modify and lessen my carb/sugar intake for awhile, and I feel better.

I also took/take natural antifungals, as it is listed on the above website. You DO NOT need to buy his book. Just start by following the diet as listed on his website, or email me and I will give you a little more info on the whole thing. There is a phase 2 part of the diet once you start feeling better, so you are not restricted for the rest of your life . There is even a phase 3 (lifestyle eating). Hope this helps. Please email me if you would like more info. This particular forum is not intended for that.

Take care.
Kim

#343986 - 04/02/09 01:57 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Thanks so much Kim!

Yes, I will email you, since I know this is not the place. I do have some more questions, but I will check out the website first. I will be in touch.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 679 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3106

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review