All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Male wanting to take Lotronex - help!
      #343550 - 03/22/09 07:04 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

Hi everyone.

I'm a male who has been diagnosed with IBS-D. I have had this condition for the past 2.5 - 3 years and it is indeed miserable (as everyone knows). I have pretty much tried everything to fix it from diet to medication. Currently im taking about 4 pro-biotics a day (align, florostor, culturel, acidopholus) along with other natural and supposedly helpful supplements, drinking lots of pepermint tea and capsules, excersizing on the reg, accupuncture, the self hypnosis program, imodium + pepto and of course a healthy diet. I have had this current bout for about 6 months now and though im starting to get better i still experience symptoms seemimgly whenever my stomach wants. I run my own business and am rather succesfull and I just can't afford to keep getting sick like this every year and being basically disabled for anywhere from 4-6 months out of the year. It's like a reaccuring nightmare!

Pretty much the only thing i haven't tried is Lotronex. I have heard all the negatives as well as the positives. This past Friday i called my GI and told him to prescribe it to me. His assistant called back and said "its only fda approved for women and dr. ______ won't prescribe it for you" Im pretty pissed about this and even told the assistant that i would sign a waiver that i won't sue him if i drop dead. I havent heard back yet, and probably won't. Is there a way for me to get Lotronex or am i going to be turned down by every single doc? I get the fact that he could be held liable if something were to go awefully wrong but like i said im willing to sign a waiver and if this has helped "cure" other males then why in the world wouldn't he consider it an option? Im at the point where im about to just start cold calling docs to see which one will prescribe it.

Can anyone help guide me to getting a Lotronex prescription? or is it like hitting the lottery?

Thanks.

Edited by Borrelli (03/22/09 07:26 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Male wanting to take Lotronex - help! new
      #343551 - 03/23/09 05:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In North America you will likely have difficulty getting a GI to prescribe it for you. The FDA says Lotronex has not been shown to be effective for males. In addition some studies claim it appears to be more poorly absorbed by men compared to women. Even in women because of infrequent but serious gastrointestinal adverse events it is restricted to those women patients for whom the benefit-to-risk balance is most favorable.

However, there are a few reports that it has been used with limited success on men in the UK. You might have to go to the UK to find a GI doc who will prescribe it for you. Also, you might show this relatively recent research article to your GI doc. It examined the use of Lotronex on men using 662 subject and concluded "Alosetron 1 mg twice daily provided adequate relief of IBS pain and discomfort, and improved stool consistency in men with diarrhea-predominant IBS"

Have you tried Heather's Eating for IBS diet approach to managing your IBS? You might get some dietary guidance from people on the board if you post the meals and snacks you have eaten for the past 2-3 days.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#343564 - 03/23/09 12:14 PM
Borrelli

Thanks for the help Syl.

I have indeed read that study using the 662 patients. I figure since i have tried everything else that i might as well give it a shot if there is even the slightest chance that it will help cure my condition.

I have read Heathers book and i do try to stick to the IBS diet. I eat mainly healty foods with soluble fiber. It does help my condition but not to the point where im completly symptom free and feeling healthy. Im just not willing to accept that feeling this way (somewhat sick) is the best i can do.

Thanks for the help and maybe i will have to bribe a GI here in the U.S. to prescribe it.

#343571 - 03/23/09 12:37 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might contact the corresponding author (Dr. Vanessa Ameen, GlaxoSmithKline, 5 Moore Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709) of the study and ask her for the name of a GI doc in your area that might prescribe it for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#343594 - 03/24/09 11:04 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Syl's given you excellent advice on getting Lotronex. While you're waiting to get hold of it, I have three suggestions:

1) Cut out the Pepto-Bismol. I don't know about all forms but the original liquid contains an artificial sweetener. (You should double-check the ingredient list on any of your supplements, too. It's amazing what they sneak in there. I've found artificial sweeteners in tablets that are supposed to be swallowed whole!)

2) Try taking Imodium prophylactically if you are not already doing so. One table in the morning, one at night; or half a table twice a day; or one tablet a day. Whatever helps.

3) Try adding a soluble fiber supplement to your daily regimen. Heather's EFI Diet worked wonders for me but it took Acacia to get me feeling normal. Start low and go slow.

Finally - and I'm sure you've already done this but still - be absolutely certain you've had all the tests necessary to accurately diagnose IBS.

HTH. Let us know how you do with the Lotronex.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#343600 - 03/24/09 12:17 PM
Borrelli

Thanks Sand.

I didn't even think about the sweetener in Pepto! I will cut that out asap but i don't take it too often either.

Prophylactically? I take it by mouth usually twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed just about every day. Is this what you meant?

I do take Heathers Accacia fiber supplement. Like i said, it seems like all of these measures are helping to stabalize me again but i just can't keep going on like this for 4 or 6 months every year untill i get stable. I just don't have the time for it, and even now, im feeling better but i still can't drink a cup of coffee or function like a normal human being and thats just not exceptable to me. Especially if there are drugs out there like Lotronex that could potentially "cure" me even.

Thanks for the reply and the helpfull tips. I will keep you guys posted on the Lotronex.

#343610 - 03/24/09 03:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yes, taking Imodium the way you are is what I mean.

It sounds from your comment about the cup of coffee like what you're hoping for is to be able to eat and drink what you want without experiencing symptoms. If so, then I think medication is the only thing that's going to help. I hope you can find a doctor who will prescribe Lotronex and that it does everything you want. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3068

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review