All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Abdominal Pain
      #343543 - 03/22/09 02:47 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Hi....usually i have some abdominal pain when im constipated or before i 'go' but lately ive been going regulary and having really good bowel movements but have been getting this on again off again dull ache in my upper left abdominal area.....to left of belly button.....in the past going to bathroom alleviated most pain but this is happening after i go and during the day where i feel no other urgency or ibs pain......do u think it could be ibs related or something else - ie strained muscle perhaps from pushing, etc? its been about 6 weeks that i have had it.....again its dull and on again off again..thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Abdominal Pain new
      #343578 - 03/23/09 08:00 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

That is where my pain used to be all the time and he GI said it had to do with my transverse colon... I think, in my case, it has to do with motility (or lack of ) and then the accompanying backed up gas, because I would be swollen/bloated as well. She also said it's kind of like the colon spasms or kinks and causes the pain as well.. It still comes and goes... In fact, it's a guessing game these days to see what part of my abdominal area is the pain going to be in today!
Blessings! Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#343609 - 03/24/09 02:24 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

Sometimes folks experience gas pains there, however, upper quadrant pain is NOT associated with IBS. I've included a list of some common causes of abdominal pain.

Bladder infections
Cholecystitis and/or gallstones
Excessive stomach gas (this may be you)
Endometriosis
Food allergy
Food poisoning (salmonella, shigella)
Hernia
Indigestion
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Kidney stones
Lactose intolerance (milk intolerance)
Menstrual cramping
Ovarian cysts
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
Stomach Ulcers
Uterine fibroids
Somach flu

The best think for abdominal pain are the peppermint capsules found here http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/suplmts/pmintcaps.asp. or the peppermint tea found here http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/teas/pmint.asp. Peppermint is considered a strong antispasmodic. If you haven't done so already, I would definitely see your GI doctor to ensure there is nothing serious going on. If you are not already diagnosed with IBS please go to this link to read more http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp.

I hope this helps!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#343615 - 03/24/09 06:21 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I am sorry, Erin, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I do have IBS and I do have upper quadrant abdominal pain. I have no stomach cramps, but I do experience a colicky type of upper abd pain. My GI says it is IBS related. The only lower GI symptom I have is bloating and gurlging, no cramps. It may not be the norm, but it may be for some people. And yes, I have had all of the tests, and a definitive DX of IBS.

#343623 - 03/25/09 05:29 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have pain in the lower part of the upper right abdominal quadrant. Everything I have seen a new GI docs over the past 30 years the first they do is look for a problem with my gall bladder. It always checks out okay. In each instance after an extensive battery of tests including colonoscopy/endoscopy I have been diagnosed with IBS. The bowel spasms seem to mostly occur in the ascending/transverse colon and the pain is experienced in the upper right quadrant.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#343628 - 03/25/09 07:47 AM
osbo54

Thanks Syl, I agree. Even though our symptoms may be a bit atypical, I have been assured it is IBS related.

#343629 - 03/25/09 08:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Pain in the upper quadrant is not particularly unusual. A on-line GI textbook that discusses the diagnosis of functional GI disorders such as IBS says "The most prominent of these lower G.I. disorders is the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) also known as spastic colitis or mucous colitis. This syndrome is characterized by diarrhea, constipation or both alternatively, and feelings of "abdominal distress" which can occur in such varied presentations as postprandial fullness, dull nondescript discomfort in the left lower quadrant of the abdomen or severe cramping abdominal pain. The cramping abdominal pain may be generalized in both lower quadrants or on occasion be localized in the right or left upper or lower quadrants giving rise to difficulties for the examiner in terms of differential diagnosis of other more potentially serious diseases."

No wonder it is so difficult to diagnosis - there is so much variation

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#343632 - 03/25/09 09:08 AM
osbo54

Yes, exactly. That was my point to Erin. You can't say it is not IBS related, when everyone seems to present with different symptoms. Thanks!

#343641 - 03/25/09 10:31 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Mhillqt,

I am not excluding the possibility of the upper abdominal pain being associated with your IBS...like I said sometimes this DOES happen because of a persons unique physiology and the combination of gas and impacted stools. However, it is not very typical, although I do not dismiss it.

What I am saying, is that if you are not diagnosed with IBS, you definitely should verify that it is IBS or that nothing else is occuring at the same time.

The pain could be your IBS but it could also be a simple food sensitivity or allergy or as serious as ulcers or gallstones. My other point is that you should NEVER just assume you have IBS. I have worked with way too many people who self diagnosed with IBS...they finally received the proper testing and guess what...some did have IBS but some didn't! This is not to be taken lightly since these symptoms are so common among other conditions.

I hope this helps clear the air for you!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#343642 - 03/25/09 10:34 AM
osbo54

That is not exactly what you said in your previous post, but thanks for clarifying.

#343652 - 03/25/09 11:45 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Thanks everyone.....I was diagnosed with IBS 1.5 yrs ago. the only time i had abdominal pain was before a bowel movement or trapped gas...once i had the bowel movement or released the gas, the pain went away....whats odd about this pain is that its been on and off for 2 months and occurs even after releasing gas or being empty.....ive had 2 inguinal hernias in the past but they are lower abdominal and this being upper left....perhaps its a pulled something or other...i think gallstones, appendix, etc are all on the right side and besides...this is a dull ache that comes and goes......but i dont like it:( I guess my question is can you still have abdominal pain even if you have no gas and you are empty and/or not having any issues with constipation or diarhea?

Edited by Mhillqt (03/25/09 05:46 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3091 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review