All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
To Syl
      #342829 - 03/04/09 05:56 PM
mattiesilver

Reged: 01/24/09
Loc: South Carolina, USA

Is oatmeal ok to eat for fructose malab?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To Syl new
      #342831 - 03/04/09 06:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is great! I eat it every morning

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342905 - 03/05/09 04:28 PM
mattiesilver

Do you eat old fashioned oatmeal or instant?

#342909 - 03/05/09 04:51 PM
Syl

Old fashion only. Some of instant stuff has other stuff added.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#342978 - 03/07/09 03:50 PM
mattiesilver

It would be great if there were a forum for fructose malabsorption. In looking Heather's IBS diet, I know there are a number of foods that I would not be able to eat. A fructose malaborption diet cheat sheet would be helpful. Do you try to keep track of the amount of fructose that you ingest at one time and how much you ingest each day?

#342994 - 03/08/09 06:59 AM
Syl

I don't keep track. I am lucky - or unlucky depending on how you look at it - I cannot tolerate most foods that have small amounts of more fructose than glucose. The only food I eat that has a small amount of excess fructose is zucchini and then I only have 2-3 tablespoons of peeled cooked zucchini at a time.

With fructose malabsorption I find it isn't the amount of excess fructose I eat each day, it is the amount of excess fructose I have with each meal.

A cheat sheet would be nice. In fact a modified EFI diet for those of us with fructose malabsorption would be even better. It is quite easy to do simply by substituting fruits and some veggies as well as moderating consumption of foods high in fructans such as wheat and some vegetables. Also there are a few tricks one can use such as offsetting small amounts of excess fructose by adding some glucose (corn sugar or dextrose).

The guidelines I use are the ones found in Figure 2 of the article on fructose malabsorption found in the article linked to in my signature line. It would be extremely helpful if this table with a few other items were made a sticky post at the top of the diet page. This way I won't have to keep reiterating the basics to new people that join the board with fructose problems. Oh well - at least now it is more okay to talk about fructose problems compare to when I first joined the board

--------------------

#343000 - 03/08/09 12:13 PM
mattiesilver

Have you seen the fructose restricted diet put out by the University of Iowa?

#343002 - 03/08/09 12:21 PM
Syl

I don't recall seeing the diet. I have read quite a bit of research from there particularly from a Dr. Satish Rao. Is the diet on their web site? I cannot seem to find it if it is

--------------------

#343003 - 03/08/09 12:32 PM
mattiesilver

I have a booklet that I sent for. The address on the back cover is: Dept. of Food and Nutrition Services
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
Iowa City, IA 52242-1051
I can no longer find the web link but when searching I noticed that someone has the U of I fructose diet on their web site: http://john.toebes.com/diet/1-diet/1-fructose-restricted-diet-basics.html

#343004 - 03/08/09 12:34 PM
mattiesilver

I think I found the web site.
http://web.archive.org/web/20050204162723/www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/DietBasics.htm

#343005 - 03/08/09 02:05 PM
Syl

Ah - yes. They call it dietary fructose intolerance. I was looking for malabsorption. The diet is very comprehensive. I like the layout on this page you linked to.

I am bit surprised to see brown sugar on the list. These days brown sugar is usually made by adding a small amount of molasses to white sugar. However, molasses does have a very tiny amount more fructose than glucose. I think about 0.6 grams / 100 grams.

I am bit confused why the diet restricts certain herbs such dill, coriander and ginger. On the other hand it does not restrict such things as wheat and Jerusalem artichokes which are high in fructans (long chains of fructose molecules). It appears that the Iowa diet has a slightly different focus than the Australian diet.

Overall, it looks very comprehensive. I like the fact that they give the range range of excess fructose per serving for some foods. It would be easy to apply the EFI principles to this diet and produce a fairly comprehensive EFI diet for IBSers with fructose problems. I will give it a try and see what I come up.

Thanks for passing on this information.

--------------------

#343007 - 03/08/09 03:08 PM
mattiesilver

I was thinking about trying the hypnosis cd's. I don't think I have IBS. I don't have abdominal pain or spasms. I get a headache, nause, vomiting and diarrhea only when I pass my fructose threshold. The only symptom I have in common with IBS is hypersensitive gut. I have had this problem since 2002. I believe I have always been sensitive to fructose but I wasn't not aware of what was causing the problem. I just thought I had some kind of food allergy since I frequently got headaches after eating. In 2002 I started juicing and it pushed me beyond the point of returning to normal. I have had gut hypersensitity since then. I thought that the hypnosis cd's might decrease this sensitivity. What do you think?

#343008 - 03/08/09 03:19 PM
Syl

It is possible to have fructose malabsorption without IBS. Although I have not read much research in this area. I suspect only a GI doc could help you figure it out for sure. However, if you are following the U of Iowa diet closely and you still have a hypersensitive gut then it is quite possible you have IBS too.

The hypnosis CD's can't hurt. The research shows directed gut hypnotherapy is a good management tool for IBS. However, if you are not having pain or spasms what do you hope to accomplish with these hypnosis CDs?

--------------------

#343054 - 03/09/09 03:07 PM
mattiesilver

I think the only reason I still have a hypesenitive gut is due to the mind-gut interaction and memory of the initial episode. After I started juicing, I has some GI symptoms but I thought my body was just getting used to the extra fruits and vegetables so I kept juicing and then there was a specific day in which I became extremely ill. I believe I passed my threshold at this time. I kept ingesting fructose for 1-2 years before I figured out what was wrong and my GI tract became overly sensitive and has never been the same. The cd's deal with normalizing the mind-gut interaction so I'm hoping I might become less sensitive through hypnosis.

#343055 - 03/09/09 03:23 PM
Syl

I passed my threshold twice - once with bran (Red River cereal) and other with palm syrup with added fructose. In both instances I ended up in emergency - by ambulance.

Give hypnosis a try. And tell us how it goes.

Good luck

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3761

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review