All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint Caps
      #342390 - 02/20/09 02:14 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Does anyone with IBS-D take these and if so does it help with that or do they just help with spasms and pain?
----------------------
IBS-D, Diverticulosis

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint Caps new
      #342393 - 02/20/09 02:32 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I use peppermint caps from time to time. They seem to provide some relief.

Interestingly, peppermint oil is mentioned as a possibly effective antispasmodic in the January 2009 report released by the American College of Gastroenterology's task force on IBS.

They say "Certain antispasmodics (hyoscine, cimetropium, pinaverium, and peppermint oil) may provide short-term relief of abdominal pain / discomfort in IBS (Grade 2C). Evidence for long-term efficacy is not available. Evidence for safety and tolerability is limited (Grade 2C)."

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342396 - 02/20/09 02:35 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

With my ibs I don't have bloating or very much cramping at all. I have urgency and alot of bathroom trips. So I wasn't sure if these would help with that or not.

#342408 - 02/20/09 07:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

They're best if taken before meals to prevent attacks but are also good IMO anytime you feel gurgly or whatever. If I get a feeling of D impending I take 2 and lay down and most of the time it goes away.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342436 - 02/21/09 10:21 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

I take the peppermint caps 3 times a day on an empty stomach before meals. It has been just as or more effective for me than just taking an antispasmodic (I had taken Bentyl for while). But please note that I also take acacia fiber and try to closely follow the EFI diet. For me, following these 3 guidelines have improved my symptoms. The caps help me with cramping and gas, but I do still have urgency. I have IBS-D but haven't had D in a while.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review