All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything
      #342067 - 02/13/09 11:49 AM
rrsegi

Reged: 02/13/09
Loc: British Columbia, Canada

I am very surprised by the list of items in the "What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything" list in the book. You would think that it would stick to only insoluble fiber foods. Graham crackers have not only whole grain wheat flour in them but also high fructose corn syrup. Amongst the cold cereals, Corn Chex has whole grain corn, Kix has whole grain oats and corn and has high fructose corn syrup, Rice Chex has whole grain rice, the 2nd ingredient in Rice Krispies is glucose/fructose, Honeycomb has whole grain corn and oat flour, and Corn Pops' 3rd ingredient is high fructose corn syrup.

Now when I'm running to the toilet because everything is going right through me, these cereals with all these whole grains in them and high fructose corn syrup which is a known enemy of IBS, these so called "safe" suggestions make absolutely no sense to me.

Can someone please explain?

And does anyone know anything about whether Jello is safe?

Sincerely,

Rachelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything new
      #342089 - 02/13/09 06:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome. First you should know that ingredients change periodically and brands change as well and brands are different from place to place. It has happened that something on the safe list has become unsafe due to the ingredients changing. That makes it important to start to learn for yourself what makes something safe. For some, honestly, that never happens and they have to ask before everything they eat.
However, the foods you mention (except for Rice Krispies and Corn Pops Kelloggs brand, which have HFCS- many generics don't) are safe. The flour in graham crackers is different than whole wheat flour. It is graham flour. I am not an expert, but this sort of wheat flour is safe and many graham crackers don't contain HFCS.
As for the GM products that now get in your face about being whole grain, not much has really changed. They are safe because whole grain oats, corn and rice are still full of soluble fiber. So it is the best of both worlds! A good gauge for telling how grainy something is, is whether it is mushy or gets mushy in liquid. That is what soluble means! So kix, cheerios, rice chex, corn chex, non HFCS krispies, even life, capn crunch etc etc etc, all get very mushy in milk and would dissolve away if left to themselves. Cereal like mini wheats, wheaties, raisin bran and total may get a little soggy but will not dissolve away because their whole wheat is mostly insoluble fiber and therefore unsafe.

Jello is technically safe also cooked pudding with soy milk is safe but not very good for you since they are so artificial.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything new
      #342124 - 02/15/09 12:19 AM
rrsegi

Reged: 02/13/09
Loc: British Columbia, Canada

Thank you so much Little Minnie. That explains so much. I appreciate very much you taking the time to answer my question. I was beginning to think nobody was. So thank you.

Sincerely,

Rachelle

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1229

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review