All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
fructose intolerance and tea
      #341200 - 01/25/09 11:49 AM
mattiesilver

Reged: 01/24/09
Loc: South Carolina, USA

My irritable bowel is due to dietary fructose intolerance. I'm wondering if I can drink the teas offered on the web site. What is the fructose content of the various teas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fructose intolerance and tea new
      #341201 - 01/25/09 12:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board

I am a fructose malabsorber with IBS too. Fructose malabsorption does not cause IBS but it can contribute significantly to IBS symptoms.

There isn't any fructose in the teas sold on this site. Generally speaking there isn't any fructose in any herbal teas unless specifically stated on the label. I don't recall having ever seen a herbal tea containing fructose.

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: fructose intolerance and tummy teas new
      #341203 - 01/25/09 12:53 PM
mattiesilver

Thanks for responding. I know there isn't any added fructose in the tea but tea is made from plants and all plants naturally contain fructose in varying amounts like cranberries have less fructose than apples. How can we find out the fructose content of the tummy teas?

#341205 - 01/25/09 02:23 PM
Syl

Ah - yes. I understand your question now. Let me explain in some detail.

A person with fructose malabsorption problems is sensitive to excess fructose which is the amount of fructose in excess to glucose. For example, white and brown sugar has exactly equal amounts of fructose and glucose. In moderation white and brown sugar present no problems for fructose malabsorbers. On the other hand 100 grams of honey contains about about 34 grams of glucose and 42 grams of fructose. It has 8 excess gram of fructose compare to glucose. 100 grams of apple contains about 2 grams of glucose and 8 grams of fructose. So it has about 6 excess grams of fructose. The excess fructose causes the problems.

Here is the tricky part. Some people with fructose problems can consume up to 25 grams of excess fructose and not experience many if any problems. On the other hand some people cannot handle 1 gram of excess fructose. I am in the later category.

Generally speaking herbal teas are made from plants that contain little excess fructose unless they contain things like apples and pears. Also, the amount of excess fructose that might find its way into the tea from a small tea bag will be quite small - probably much less than 1 gram. Most herbal teas are quite safe just keep your eye open for teas that contain apple and pear.

There is a table of fruits and sugars on this web page that gives the amount of different types of sugars in various fruits and other foods. Also, some time ago I posted a message with links to three detailed articles on fructose malabsorption. They are quite technical. However, the second article contains a table (Figure 2) of favorable and unfavorable foods for people with fructose malabsorption problems and IBS. You may find it helpful

Good Luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#341241 - 01/26/09 02:03 PM
mattiesilver

Wow--you really know a lot about fructose malabsorption. I think I've had this problem all my life and wasn't aware. I just thought I had some kind of food allergy. About 7 years ago I started juicing on top of taking a daily fruit shake and I became very ill. It took about 2 years of being very sick to figure out what the problem was. When I surpass my tolerance level I get a very bad headache, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. I take phenergan for the nausea. I am going to look at the links you sent. How long have you been dealing with this?

#341261 - 01/27/09 05:03 AM
Syl

It took quite a while for me to figure out fructose was a problem. I was having good success with the EFI diet particularly by reducing my consumption of high insoluble fiber foods and increasing my consumption of soluble fiber foods. However, I was still having a great deal of pain and other problems. A few years ago I was reading some medical research articles on IBS and I came across some excellent research on the role of fructose as an IBS trigger. I have a sweet tooth and in particular I loved things that had the extra sweet taste from fructose. Once I eliminate high fructose foods I found that many of my IBS symptoms subsided. It has helped me stabilize my IBS a great deal.

When I first came to the board I ran into a lot of resistance about fructose being an IBS trigger. However, in a recent newsletter Heather discussed a study on "Role of Fructose in Initiating IBS Symptoms". She concluded later in the newsletter that "fructose (fruit sugar) is a very likely trigger for IBS symptoms, especially diarrhea, gas, bloating, and cramps". Over the past two years many people with fructose problems and IBS have joined the board. Slowly it is being accepted as a fairly common problem for IBSers

--------------------

my agenda new
      #341320 - 01/28/09 10:17 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

When I first came to the board I ran into a lot of resistance about fructose being an IBS trigger. However, in a recent newsletter Heather discussed a study on "Role of Fructose in Initiating IBS Symptoms". She concluded later in the newsletter that "fructose (fruit sugar) is a very likely trigger for IBS symptoms, especially diarrhea, gas, bloating, and cramps". Over the past two years many people with fructose problems and IBS have joined the board. Slowly it is being accepted as a fairly common problem for IBSers

I don't think anyone argues the possibility of fructose being a problem for some people with IBS. My issue is that not everyone is sensitive to it and there is a fructose mania now on the boards that never used to be here. A couple years ago many people here got stable by following Heather's diet but not staying away from fructose in general. Now, people who aren't FI can't understand why they aren't getting better by avoiding fructose.

My biggest problem has always been that I don't feel there is much science behind IBS. If you are FI and GI and then never, ever have a problem outside of that then you don't have IBS. My main agenda has been trying to get people to see that there are no miracle cures and even if you follow a good IBS diet you can still have symptoms from the other side of things: emotional factors. Or you maybe didn't drink enough or how you ate wasn't right, etc. I hope people see that symptoms aren't always caused by a specific thing you ate. If you follow that road, it will just be frustrating. If you realize IBS is irritable then setbacks are more understandable.
I don't want to deter people from trying a low fructose diet to test if they are a malabsorber, but it is very important to understand all the sides of IBS.

One last thing, I would be disappointed if IBS had a reputation of just 'being those people who can't eat dairy, fructose or gluten'. If people view IBS as a food allergy it would lead to it being taken less seriously. Someone who is very severe would then have a harder time getting disability if it just seems like they must be eating dairy or fructose or gluten even though they shouldn't. IBS isn't food allergies and it should be seen for what it is.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: my agenda new
      #341324 - 01/28/09 11:32 AM
Syl

Interesting agenda.

It is great to see you recognize fructose as another potential trigger in the list of possible triggers that all IBSers should consider when developing a management strategy.

Quote:

My biggest problem has always been that I don't feel there is much science behind IBS

There is plenty of science behind IBS as witnessed by the hundreds of recently published research papers. The problem is that IBS is a complicated disorder involving the communication between two of the most complex organs in the body - the brain and the bowel. It may be many year before researchers have a full understanding of the disorder and how to treat it effectively. It is quite unlikely that IBS will be seen as simply a food allergy (or intolerance) related problem -- the research is simply not pointing that direction. So you don't have to worry about that too much However, research does show that while certain things such as whole grains, fat/oil, caffeine, fructose and lactose are not causes of IBS they can aggravate a sensitive bowel. Much of this is discussed in An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome by the American College of Gastroenterology Task Force on IBS recently posted in the research library.

At the moment there are no miracle cures but we keep our fingers crossed that perhaps some day science will find one for us.

--------------------

Re: my agenda new
      #341349 - 01/28/09 06:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Well of course I know certain foods aggrevate IBS!

And of course I recognize fructose can be a problem! I did a test and elimination diet about 5 years ago.

When the IBS research completely shows how IBS works and what exactly can be done to cure it then I will admit science has something to do with IBS. Testing of "patches" like using bifidus or avoiding certain foods is a start but that brain/gut connection is far from being solved.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Yes, I agree... new
      #341378 - 01/29/09 01:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

not everyone with IBS is fructose intolerant, and people can have just one of these problems or both at the same time. If it's "just" IBS then watching out for excess fructose is prudent, but there's no need to fanatically eliminate it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2519 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6908

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review