All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety Makes This All Worse
      #339738 - 12/20/08 01:09 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

I have pretty bad panic disorder and 1 year ago dveloped IBS(after 20 yrs of on again off again panic).......Since IBS, my meals are as such: Bfast - Oatmeal, 1/2 banana, walnuts/almonds.....Snack...Pretzels....Lunch...Brown/WHite Rice, 1/2 apple, walnuts/almonds.....Snack....Pretzels....Dinner....Pasta and or chicken/fish and some green veggie......snacks....celery with peanut butter and Ice Decaf coffee......When IM not anxious.....im pretty much OK with my IBS....but ever since Thanksgiving and worrying about all the social events of the season, I find that I have SO MUCH GAS, alternate between mild C/mild D, some pain and NAUSEA......it always feels like my colon is doing something or about to do something....i guess im sensitized....the NAUSEA triggers panic since last year i had the WORST stomach flu ever and blacked out 2x from how sick i felt.......What can i do to make my family events ...xmas eve/xmas day manageable......i feel so exhausted like stomach flu...but its not because ive been eating......ps i just started a low dose of klonopin yesterday .125mg.....seems to relax me a bit but also feel a bit spacey which adds to that nausea feeling ...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety Makes This All Worse new
      #339739 - 12/20/08 01:14 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

dont no what to say cos am the same hang in there ans enjoy xmas as much as you can Hun but some music on i hope you will be ok my thoughts are with you

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#339740 - 12/20/08 01:21 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

It sounds as though you've been doing the right thing with your diet, so maybe concentrating on the anxiety will be the answer.

Have you tried Xanax? I'm taking 0.5 MG of it as needed (sometimes once a day, sometimes twice, sometimes I don't need it at all) and it calms me down pretty well. You may get a little drowsy from it at the beginning but that should pass within a short time.

I'm convinced that anxiety is the root cause of my IBS and getting that (anxiety) under some sort of control is paramount in my mind now.

Good luck to you, and enjoy the holidays!!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339746 - 12/20/08 05:59 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am sorry that you are feeling so anxious. Anxiety is something many of us with IBS suffer from. Do you have a trusted dr. that you can discuss your anxiety issues with?

If I were you I would stop drinking the iced decaf coffee. Coffee is a major trigger for people with IBS, even decaf coffee.

When I have plans to go somewhere it helps me to map out in my mind where the bathrooms are on the way so that if I have to stop I know exactly where. I feel more in control and this helps me relax.

If you are going to a family members home for Christmas Eve or Christmas day maybe it would help you relax if your family knows about your IBS. When I go home if I end up having to hit the bathroom my family all knows that I have a problem and no one thinks anything of it.

Before you go to a party or gathering make sure you eat safe foods and you could bring safe snacks with you. Also, avoid eating trigger foods while at the gathering. Drink peppermint tea before you go and take immodium with you if you are having D.

Have you tried the hypnosis tapes? They are very helpful.

I hope you can relax enough to have fun and that you are feeling better.

--------------------
Janey

what she said and new
      #339796 - 12/21/08 11:09 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Besides cutting out coffee the celery can be tough to digest. And keep eating real often.
You might want to try an antispasmodic like bentyl or levbid. But primarily being prepared with safe foods will help a ton.
I agree family problems can be really stressful!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#339812 - 12/21/08 06:36 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

thanks...my gastro who runs the mindbody ibs clinic here in nyc said that he doesnt believe ibs is food related.....im not so sure! Do you think that the majority of IBSers have anxiety issues....ie generalized anxiety, panic disorder, etc? Also, i find i can eat trigger foods one day and not the next....whats up with that?

#339846 - 12/22/08 09:27 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I have anxiety as well bad panic attacks a few times a month. I had them more so when my job was more stressful (every day occurence), but now, since I have been moved to a different position, I don't get them that often. However, I do not believe that Anxiety is the ONLY cause of IBS. It's alot to do with food like the others were saying. My anxiety comes and goes, but I always have problems with my IBS. HTH

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#339854 - 12/22/08 10:47 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I totally empathise with the anxiety thing, my dF says that I live on pretzels and nerves. One thing that helps me during holidays Is a purse full of emergency rations, (homemade biscotti, pretzels) and just being really open about the fact that I have IBS I can't eat everything, and that everyone knows that If I feel sick I'm out of there, once people got used to it, and I convinced myself that it was ok, I wasn't being a big baby or making people suffer for my condition I felt better, oh and I drink a steady stream of soothing tea. good luck and happy holidays.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1730 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2293

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review