All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
STATINS AND IBS A THEORY
      #338457 - 11/23/08 11:24 AM
gassymichael

Reged: 11/08/08

I am wandering if there is any evidence to support my theory as below.

It is documented that statins often cause cramping, gas, D and C.

Just over two years ago I was put on statins, after a short time I developed all the above. Told to continue the use. A month or two later I developed dyspepsia and on off D and camps, so came off drugs, at the time I was no linking the two issues. After a couple of months was reffered to gastric doc all was proven fine.

Fast forward to last year, new doc, put back on statins, short time after got IBS symptoms back, blood test and stool test all fine, came off statins.

May last year, same dress rehearsal, also finding that the systems takes a good month to calm down again

Went BACK on statins this September, started getting IBS symptoms again, doctor takes me off them but iBS continues even after 6 weeks off of them.

So my question is has anyone else had this sort of issue and secondly does anyone know of any evidence to sustain my thought that statins create IBS and continue to do so after stopping the drugs?

I am not in denial of my IBS just find it odd that I only get bad flare ups when recently been on these wander drugs

My other qestion is this - I have been on a plain food diet also supplimenting with acacia for 10 days now, my system was starting to get back to normal, all be it still crampy a bit when i ate. Went to party last night, 2 glasses of wine and some bread and cheeses and 2 hours later big attack of D, this morning all back to normal as if nothing had happened!!

Is that standard IBS symptoms?

I am sorry for troubling you all i am just so desperate for answers, i hope someone can help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: STATINS AND IBS A THEORY new
      #338470 - 11/24/08 04:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

Went to party last night, 2 glasses of wine and some bread and cheeses and 2 hours later big attack of D, this morning all back to normal as if nothing had happened!!

This experience is not unusual. Of course the best way to avoid the problem is to stay away from wine and cheese

I don't take statins but your theory sounds interesting. The information on statin side effects on the Mayo Clinic site says "Some people taking a statin may develop nausea, diarrhea or constipation after taking a statin. These side effects are rare. Most people who have these side effects already have other problems with their digestive system."

Perhaps you might be one of those rare people. Out of curiousity which statin(s) have you taken?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#338475 - 11/24/08 06:21 AM
gassymichael

Reged: 11/08/08

Hi

I took Lipitor 10mg,, before that when i was in the UK I was put on various ones, every one upset my stomach and i always swore it triggered a chain of IBS that went on for some months

Got the old camera treatment coming up on the 12th Dec, man was that a push to get docs to agree to it, but it was only you guys on here that made me realise it was a real requirement. Just used to get the old thing age vs no alarm signs, fall into rome II (III) crietria !!!

My biggest achievment has been dsicovering heathers acacia, I also was taking the tummy tamers but dyspepsia stopped that one

I think once the camera work is done and the Statins have finally been rid from my system i will have a bit more tolerant system.

#338536 - 11/24/08 09:39 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Went to party last night, 2 glasses of wine and some bread and cheeses and 2 hours later big attack of D, this morning all back to normal as if nothing had happened!!

Is that standard IBS symptoms?

I am sorry for troubling you all i am just so desperate for answers, i hope someone can help

Yep this seems to be how my attacks operate. I eat soemthing that disagrees with me and I get some D but now I bounce back pretty quickly.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1744 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review