All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone have Interstitial Cystitis ?
      #337902 - 11/10/08 10:19 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

i finally came to the realization that this is what I have. my symptom is frequent urination and sensitivity to foods with diuretic properties such as apples, prunes, asparagus and eggplant. could also be the high potassium content. is IC an autoimmune disease? im really concerned about it if it is

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone have Interstitial Cystitis ? new
      #337915 - 11/10/08 01:23 PM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I have Interstitial Cystitis which developed about two years ago. IC is a chronic irritation of the bladder and/or urethra. It causes painful or burning during urination. You can keep the flares under control with a low acid diet.
I've never heard of IC having diuretic effects on people. I've only heard that it can make you feel the urge to urinate more frequently because of the inflamation. It feels like a urinary tract infection.
My symptoms come and go, depending on the acid content of the foods I've eaten.

Is there anyone else on this board with more information?

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#337917 - 11/10/08 02:50 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I have IC as well and need to avoid certain foods - namely anything remotely spicy or acidic, or anything with preservatives in it. I have never heard of those foods as having diuretic properties, nor have I heard of those foods as being bad for IC, with the exception of prunes - plums are acidic and to be avoided.

If you think you may have IC, I would urge you to see a urologist - I assume by your screenname that you are a male, but maybe that is incorrect? If you are a female, the best doctor to seek out would be a urogynecologist. Please get the testing done - while diet is extremely helpful, there are other treatments that I have found to be even more beneficial, including oral medication as well as medication you instill directly into your bladder. I have found the bladder instillations to be more helpful to me than anything else, and you obviously cannot do them without a proper diagnosis and a doctor to prescribe the equipment.

One more thing to note: soy is a major bladder irritant - if you've replaced your dairy with soy to help your IBS, try and replace it with almond or rice milk to see if it helps your bladder symptoms. Soy gives me frequency, urgency, AND major bladder pain.

Good luck in your quest for a proper diagnosis!

--------------------
IBS-C

#337933 - 11/11/08 08:14 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I was diagnosed with IC many years ago and the main thing my dr. told me to avoid was the "nightshade" family of veggies, which includes eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers...and of course, anything acidic. hth

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 442 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1390

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review