All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
PLEASE Help me figure this out!!!
      #337379 - 10/26/08 09:16 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am so confused on fat. I eat very little and I don't think I am getting enough heathers says 25% of your diet I am so horrible at math I don't understand how to figure it out. I just pay low fat stuff like 2 grams. I know I am not getting enough please help me to add it back in the right way with out getting sick. Can someone please explain this to me. HELP!!!!!
emmamsom
ibs-c gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PLEASE Help me figure this out!!! new
      #337380 - 10/26/08 09:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

According to the USDA a moderately active women between the ages of 19 and 30 needs about 2000 calories per day. If you want to get 25% of your calories from fat you need to get 2000/4 or 500 calories per day from fats and oils.

(Note: Heather recommends you reduce your consumption of saturated fats which are found in meats and diary)

Check Table 3 at the bottom of this web page to figure out how many calories you need per day given your age and activity..

One gram of fat contains 9 calories. Therefore you need 500/9 or about 55 grams of fat per day or 18 grams of fat per meal assuming you don't eat any snacks. If you eat snacks then you reduce the amount of fat you eat in meals.

Another tip. One teaspoon of oil contains about 5 grams of fat or 45 calories. Therefore one tablespoon of oil contains about 15 grams of fat or 135 calories.

I keep my fat intake to about 15-20% of my daily calorie intake. I hope this helps a bit.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: PLEASE Help me figure this out!!! new
      #337381 - 10/26/08 10:22 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Emmasmom- here is an interesting link to read about fats. As we know, they are not created equal, and it may not be how much, but what type you are eating that matters..........

http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/beginner_fats.htm

Just a few more questions please new
      #337418 - 10/27/08 08:37 AM
emmasmom

So I found organic waffles at whole foods and it says 7 grams of fat so serving size 3 so I can have 3 waffles and that equals 7 grams? that seems like to much for breakfeast. Is that right?
Also how do I go about adding fat in to things like chicken breast and veggies witch are fat free? thanksfor the help
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: Just a few more questions please new
      #337419 - 10/27/08 08:50 AM
Syl

The amount of fat in the waffles sounds right if the label says 7 grams for 3 waffles.

You can fry the chicken breast in olive or canola oil. A teaspoon of oil will add about 5 grams of fat. And 1/2 of a chicken breast contains about 4 grams of fat so in total you will get about 9 grams of fat. Also, you can add 1 teaspoon of dairy free margarine to you vegetables to get another 5 grams of fat.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Just a few more questions please new
      #337420 - 10/27/08 08:50 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Sheila, Why do you need to add fat into your diet? If you are getting some fat and eating healthy otherwise I don't understand why you want a certain amount of fat added?

Are you concerned because you feel you are too skinny?Because you shouldn't worry about size.If you eat a fairly well balanced diet most of the time,then don't worry so much. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks you should weigh,we are all different.
So why is fat important to you?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Sly-Thanks that helps alot-nt new
      #337422 - 10/27/08 09:03 AM
emmasmom

Dragon fly new
      #337423 - 10/27/08 09:07 AM
emmasmom

Well I am afaid if and when I ever get pregant I am afraid that I wouln't have engouh fat in me. I am skinny. I eat and still hungry so I thought maybe I should up my fat make sense? I also would like cookies now and then and son''t want to pig out and have a attack cause of to much fat.
emmasmom(sheila)
ibs-c gas

Re: Dragon fly new
      #337459 - 10/27/08 06:53 PM
dragonfly

Do you eat more often?Like munching through the day?

--------------------

I wish I could find stuff to snack on.... new
      #337468 - 10/28/08 06:40 AM
emmasmom

Oh girl I wish I can't find hardley any thing to snack on. I need some new stuff In my diet! I would eat all day if I could fine some stuff to snack on.I do animal crackers and grham crackers thats it thats gets very very old fast...

ps do those cd really help?

-Sheila

Re: I wish I could find stuff to snack on.... new
      #337470 - 10/28/08 07:12 AM
Syl

Have you tried these ? They are low fat & low salt.

--------------------

#337478 - 10/28/08 09:37 AM
emmasmom

yes I have but that leaves one less thing for my lunch and than what do I have ya know.. thanks for the help!

There's a huge sticky post about safe snacks and quick foods new
      #337491 - 10/28/08 01:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

right here!

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: There's a huge sticky post about safe snacks and quick foods new
      #337511 - 10/28/08 05:07 PM
emmasmom

Thanks I have this. But trying to find stuff that doesn't have hfcs or fruit purees are hard. I am going to look over again thanks for the help.I would be lost without this site!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: Dragon fly new
      #337516 - 10/28/08 06:23 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Trust me if you are eating healthy the baby will take and get all the nutrients that your body has to help them grow. I ate very low fat when I was pregnant the last time and I only gained 23 pounds. But I ate a lot more of everything and I took vitamins. Your baby will drain your body of all the nutrients it needs so make sure you put in enough for both of you when you become pregant. And the nutrients don't necessarily mean fat. HTH

#337558 - 10/30/08 09:09 AM
dragonfly

YES!!! The cds really help.I find that I think less and less about IBS and my life has changed sooooo much.I've eaten things lately that I haven't eaten in soooo long!

I just came back from the docs because I've been having chest pains and headaches and she is referring me to an IBS doc.I don't know if she'll be able to help butit's a try.
My doc was quite interested in how the cds have helped cause I was such a mess after my gallbladder surgery in Feb,
I battled drug withdrawls from some pretty harsh narcotics and my IBS went through the roof!
I was at the end of my rope, I had no hope left I thought I'd be better off dead.I ordered the cds with my last hope and I seriously doubted they would help.
About day sixteen I was listening to the program and I had this incredible feeling wash over me .I finally felt hopeful again.I knew I was going to beat this and get better.It compares to that feeling you get when you walk into a really old church.A feeling of awe washes over you.A feeling of peace and understanding. I'll never forget that feeling that day.
You must try them.They have changed my life.

As far as snacks...Gosh it's so tough.I snacked on pretzels alot and still do but yes they get really old fast.Now I eat alot of fresh white bread.I can't do peanutbutter but I love pb and banana sandwiches.I still try every once in a while much to my tummys dislike but...I'll keep thinking about safe snacks for ya.
HTH much love to ya Sheila!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review