All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Black poo....help
      #33657 - 12/24/03 04:35 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I called my doc about the blood in my tush...and I also told him about my black stool. Didn't know the black stools were so crucial! He told me to get Zantac and he wants to see me tom...even thou his office isn't opened!

I just had an upper edoscopy a few weeks ago...so what could possibly be wrong? I thought those tests ruled out ulcers and IBD? Could it be something else? I'm a bit worried...any thoughts to calm my fears?

Thank everyone!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Black poo....help new
      #33658 - 12/24/03 05:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Ruchie - Don't panic, I'm sure you're going to be just fine. The black poo is a concern because that can mean bleeding within your GI tract. The bright red blood in poo usually just means hemorrhoids, which isn't such a big deal. Bleeding that occurs earlier in the gut can signal bigger problems though, and that's why your doc wants to check things out. IBD isn't always caught with an upper endoscopy, so that's probably on his list, and I think it's a sign of a great doc that he wants to be extra careful to make sure you're okay.

Hugs for you,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#33663 - 12/24/03 06:25 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Ruchie - sorry you're having such a tough time! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Let us know how you make out. What time is your appt?

At least you do have a good doc that is taking care of you even on his day off.

#33666 - 12/24/03 06:35 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Ruchie, sometimes my poo gets very dark after taking Pepto Bismol, so maybe it has something to do with those antibiotics you've been on. Also, I think my grandmother had black poo because of high amounts of iron in her system. In other words, there are countless explanations, so I bet it's not going to turn out to be anything serious. Try not to worry, and have a great holiday!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#33673 - 12/24/03 07:21 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow. Please let us know as soon as you find out; I'll be checking the boards tomorrow. I'm sure you already knew this, but make sure to tell him about the antibiotic you are taking in case that has some bearing on the situation. I know my Dr would never see me on an off day-he would just send me to the ER. You have a good one.
Joan

#33675 - 12/24/03 07:33 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

Dear Ruchie I,ll be praying for you.but try an have a Happy Holiday an don,t worry to much.but I know that is easy for me to say.honey I have been there.so I know how you are feeling.you have a beautiful smile so please keep it there an let us know.Gerry10.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Re: Black poo....help...and diet too new
      #33683 - 12/25/03 06:46 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks everyone for posting! My doc and I spoke this morning. He's in the ICU with a patient (been there for several days...I pray this patient will be ok!) and he told me that since I haven't had more BM's I'm ok for today. But he wants me to eat a bland diet...I think like the one folks with UC and Crohn's eat. He didn't have too much time to talk about it though given his circumstances...so I hope y'all can help me out!

He wants me on a mostly liquid diet...I have to take 4 zantac twice a day...and bland foods. What are some examples of a bland diet? Is oatmeal ok? How about apple sauce? I think it's called the BRAT diet...Bananas, Applesauce and Toast (but what's the "R" stand for)? Can you put anything on your toast? How about pasta and bread? Should I eat everything plain? I know tomato sauce, that's for sure!

Any help would be super duper appreciated!

Thanks and happy holidays!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#33685 - 12/25/03 07:46 AM
*Melissa*

All that stuff you listed sounds okay. The "R" stands for rice.

I think you should be fine with a little soy spread on your toast.

When are you supposed to go see him? Let us know how you make out.

#33686 - 12/25/03 07:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Mags!

I am supposed to call tom. morning at 8am and make an appointment for tomorrow. If things get worse today, G-d forbid, I am supposed to call him or just simply go to the ER. So far so good....I'm going to try and sleep as much as possible today and drink tons of liquids. I figure those are my best options. I'm glad I don't celebrate Christmas (I'm Jewish)...that would be a big bummer!

Happy holidays Mags.......enjoy!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#33687 - 12/25/03 07:56 AM
*Melissa*

Christmas or not - it's still a bummer!

Too bad you don't have a TV, so you could pop in a movie and relax and try to take your mind off of it. Maybe you could read a good book, maybe that'll help.

Just kick back and take it easy today. Let us know how your appt. tomorrow goes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 833 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2988

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review