All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactulose Laxative in UK -SAFE?+ Is Zucchini a courgette in UK
      #335454 - 08/30/08 09:20 AM

Unregistered

I find different opinions on Lactulose Laxative. Is it a laxative,is it safe? Prescribed by my UK Doctor who says its okay, but they often do , opinions!!?
Also while online is a Zucchini a courgette as we call them in UK? Does any one no a good equivilent foods site on net for UK-may be a UK user?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactulose Laxative in UK -SAFE?+ Is Zucchini a courgette in UK new
      #335457 - 08/30/08 09:41 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Yes, zucchinis and courgettes are the same thing. Eggplants are also known as aubergines.

Lactulose is, strictly speaking, an osmotic laxative that is safe to take every day. However, the sugars that make up lactulose can make IBS symptoms worse. You are probably better off taking a soluble fiber supplement. If your doctor wants you to take an osmotic laxative for some reason, Miralax (not sure what the UK equivalent would be) is probably safer for IBS patients.

--------------------
IBS-C

#335462 - 08/30/08 12:21 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Funny, I just bought Lactulose last week because I needed an osmotic laxative (milk of magnesia is not available here either). I used it once and I was fine with it but it may be problematic to other IBSers. The only way to find out if you can tolerate it is to test it out. Sorry that I can't give you a more definite asnwer !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#335464 - 08/30/08 04:15 PM

Unregistered

thanks for that i may suggest it to Doctor with other laxative. Lactolose seemed to work well when i came back from restraunt with cramps-from the meal. Zara seemed to think stick with it if okay. I tend to use it on emergency only. thanks any way for info

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1552 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1944

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review