All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Antibiotics - what my doctor wants to do new
      #334533 - 08/12/08 05:28 PM
kellmoops

Reged: 08/11/08
Loc: Boston, MA

If there's anything I can answer for you, I was in antifungal research for about two years, but it was awhile ago!
Kell

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kellmoops/Syl: Any in Science related field new
      #334538 - 08/12/08 09:44 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Quote:

If there's anything I can answer for you, I was in antifungal research for about two years, but it was awhile ago!

I know you were answering Kim 123's question, but I'm very interested in your take on yeast/candida. One guy on this board, very recently, posted information to the effect that there is no such thing. However, I, personally have been t been battling it for many, many years, from thrush to the "typical yeast infection". (Unfortunately, I had years of antibiotic use due to chronic infections and CFIDS.) Subsequently, I've read and researched all information regarding candida myself. I especially respect Doug Kaufman and "The Fungus Link". How does one know if it's IBS vs. Candida - other than the obvious physical manifestations? Then how does one even begin to choose a diet of IBS vs. Candida? My stomach seems to respond best to the IBS diet, but then the bread/pasta, etc. can me to have a huge candida flare up.
Have you ever known stress to actually cause candida? It certainly seems to. I can walk through a real rough time and w/i the next 24 hours have thrush all in my mouth.
Thank you for your time - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (08/13/08 04:25 PM)

shawneric new
      #334543 - 08/13/08 07:07 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi Shawn

Some the links you posted are broken. For example, your CDC link is broken. This has occured in some of your other posting too. Could you please check the links you post to ensure they are correct? It would be helpful to those of us that would like to read more about the information you posted.

Thanks

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: shawneric new
      #334652 - 08/14/08 06:56 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Will do Syl.

CDC

Candidiasis

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/candidiasis_gi.html

Additional reading CDC

Welcome to Doctor Fungus, your on-line reference to all things mycological!!
The Official Website of the Mycoses Study Group

http://www.doctorfungus.org/mycoses/human/candida/Chronic_Candidiasis.htm

The Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy has issued this paper on Allergy testing and treatments. 2007

Unorthodox Techniques for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy, Asthma and Immune Disorders

"INAPPROPRIATE TESTING

Chronic Candidiasis

http://www.allergy.org.au/pospapers/unorthodox.htm

Ask the Experts : UC Berkeley wellness letter

Q: What is yeast syndrome? A friend says she has it and must avoid sugar and foods made with yeast. H.S., VIA THE INTERNET

A: There's no evidence that this "syndrome" exists.

http://wellnessletter.com/test/html/wl/2001/wlAskExperts0101.html

Bacteria: More Than Pathogens
Trudy M. Wassenaar

http://www.actionbioscience.org/biodiversity/wassenaar.html

There is candida, there is just not candida overgrowth syndrome in the gut as has been speculated some twenty years ago and still has not been found by anyone.

Most people have IBS which is NOT an infection by candida. Serious candida infections however can kill a person.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: shawneric & Syl new
      #334658 - 08/15/08 02:58 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Thanks so much for all the information. Unfortunately, I'm even more confused than ever! I'm tired of drs. - and even alternative medicine practitioners - each one has a different opinion. I'm tired of all the pharmaceuticals and just am not taking them anymore - been the whole route, Diflucan/Nystatin/Mycelex ... I "might" stay on a probiotic. Even though I've been told for years, since first dx with CFIDS, that it was "Candida" - it's just too strange because it comes and goes, and, not necessarily related to diet. Even stress can cause me to wake up the next morning with "thrush". So, I think the "real demon" is "Stress"! Over the years, I've learned to be a very informed "patient" and a self-advocate. Having worked in the medical, mental health and now education/guidance fields has helped, because I read and research. Then, with the deluge of alternative/complimenary medicine protocols - my brain is screaming "overload". I think I'll be the proverbial ostrich and "stick my head in the sand" for a while! But, you guys have helped tremendously. If I had to choose one opinion for myself to live by - it would be the one from Berkley!
Thanks again for enlightening me to the "other side of the story"... Dorothy (I actually think I may be from Oz!)

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Antibiotics - what my doctor wants to do new
      #335171 - 08/23/08 07:05 PM
brogers

Reged: 08/23/08

irritable bowel syndrome is a higly contaigous fungal infection, when it sees an antibiotic it has the ability to go dormant,thats what makes you feel better, however when the antibiotic is stopped the symptoms return even worse, since the fungal infection was caused by the use of antibiotics to begin with.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10612

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review