All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acid taste in mouth
      #333976 - 08/04/08 05:39 PM
Tylene

Reged: 08/04/08

Has anybody else experienced a severe acid taste in the mouth with IBS. I have had non-stop IBS attacks for the last 5 months. I mean 24/7 pain. I have lost over 30 pounds from throwing up and not able to eat. I have been hospitalized numerous times and have only wished to live in the last 3 weeks thanks to my persistant husband finding HelpforIBS. Thank you Heather. You and my husband have saved my life. My husband encourages me to do everything thing you say to do. I have been pain free for 1 week now. I am like a new woman except for this horible ACID TASTE in my mouth that doesn't seem to go away. The doctors say I have a lot of bile in my stomach. Well, duh, my colon was in a perpetual cramp for 5 months. I haven't found anything that gets rid of this Acid Taste. Sorry for the rambling.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acid taste in mouth new
      #333979 - 08/04/08 06:40 PM
hilda05

Hi Tylene - I have had the same problem as you and was hoping someone would have posted an answer! I have been trying to only eat soluble fiber foods to get on track and yet the acid taste is worse than ever. Before I was diagnosed with IBS, my doctor told me to take prilosec, but all that did was make my face brake out, and then she told me to make sure I just kept eating because the acid needs to be absorbed by something.

I'm only telling you this because maybe it will help you, but I am certainly looking for answers.

#333982 - 08/04/08 07:14 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi! I have had this HORRIBLE bile taste in my mouth and was miserable from it. I finally found 2 things that work a bit. Honestly, it doesn't take it away 100%, but does help a ton. First, I take a phenergen. It's a pill for nausea and helps settle down the acid/bile/whatever is causing that nasty taste. Also, I take a reglan. The reglan does speed up digestion a bit, so I can get a little bit of D from it, but no cramping. Without cramping, I'll take some D over the HORRIBLE acid taste! Ask your doc for these meds and I really think it'll help. I still get that maybe 1-2 times a year and I pop the two pills as soon as possible. They do make me sleepy, but I'd SO rather sleep during it all!
Hope it helps a bit!
Good luck...and I totally sympathize. I tried everything...from eating more food to mylanta to tums to everything!

--------------------
IBS-A

#333984 - 08/04/08 07:38 PM
Tylene

I have gone the gauntlet of pills by the doctors -reglan, prilosec, nexium, and a bunch of acid reducers and bile combiners. They had no effect. My doctor scoped me and said it looked like hamburger meat in my stomach because of all of the bile in my stomach. My husband had to demand that he do a colonoscopy. The doctor said I had the worst spastic colon he had ever seen. My husband suggested dycyclomine with small doses until I reached 160mg a day. The doctor said "Oh, yeah that might work". Doctors, what idiots. The dycycolomine helped a little, but once I started Heathers suggestions and remedies, I threw all prescription drugs away. But, nothing I have tried -I even tried megadoses of zinc-hasn't helped with the acid taste.

#333986 - 08/04/08 07:52 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Bless you! I think nausea and vomitting are the absolute worse - even though earlier I thought cramping and diarrhea were! :-) Seriously, I have had those symptoms for up to a week at a time and thought: I absolutely can't stand this! No appetitite at all - would make myself eat a bite of bread or even 2 sips of Lactose/Gluten Free Slim Fast. My daughter had hyperemesis with both pregnancies and thought I'd go crazy watching her vomit 20+ x a day - sometimes just moving her head caused an attack. Has your dr. ever suggested Zofran? It's a very strong drug and usually only given to chemo patients for nausea, but my daughter's OB gave it to her to save her life. It's strong and causes constipation, but that, in conjunction with the Reglan, saved her! She's a very strong-willed person with a high pain tolerance, but after 3 months of this 24/7 and multiple hospitalizations, she told me "I don't think I can stand it any more" - thank God! that's when we found the new OB and the drugs. I can't believe with the MD telling you your stomach was like hamburger, he hasn't continued to try and try and try.... maybe take your records to a new GI???? This is unexcusable. There's a stomach condition called "Dyspepsia" that sometimes goes hand-in-hand with IBS. I've had it and the Nexium controls it somewhat. A lot of times, I just wake up with that taste in my mouth andit is the pits! Also, the Phenergen is good, but knocks me on my butt! You can break it up into 1/4 tablets and find your tolerance for it too. Plus, it comes in suppos. form and I just heard it can be made into a ceam you rub onto your wrists - by a compounding pharmacist.... Wish I knew more - you have all my sympathy - but, there's got to be an answer out there, maybe starting with a new GI doc?
Prayers & Blessings!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3440

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review