All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Gas Question
      #333566 - 07/30/08 12:16 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I am wondering if any of the following causes gas for anyone. Something has been bothering me the last two nights:

rice, chicken broth (safe, from whole foods), mushrooms (cooked), zuchinni (cooked), or peaches (peeled)?

I was leaning towards the peaches, although I thought I had peach peeled before and was okay...but anyways would love to hear what you think.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas Question new
      #333567 - 07/30/08 04:06 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

If I had to pick a food I'd say the peaches as well. But I'm starting to see that gas isn't always necessarily directly from the food we eat. I can eat the same food two days in a row, and it may bother me one day and not the other - maybe because my pants were a little tighter the second day and trapped more gas, or because I was at work the second day and was sitting for a longer period of time, or maybe because I unconsciously ate quicker and swallowed more air the second day.

I don't mean to sound overly negative this morning and I'm sorry if I do, but sometimes our diets can be perfect and life can interfere with our touchy digestive systems!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#333572 - 07/30/08 06:28 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Were they fresh or can peaches? I can't do can peaches at all! hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#333574 - 07/30/08 06:35 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I agree with Fen...I ate rice, green beans and rutabagas w/ a small amount of chicken last night - all good foods - and feel like crap today - even jittery and shaky. BUT, the night before I ate everything chocolate and sweet in the house and felt fine yesterday. Go figure!
However, I do know one reason we find it so hard to figure out many of our triggers is that it can take up to 48 hours to have a reaction to something. Maybe today I'm paying for my chocolate binging 2 days ago!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#333575 - 07/30/08 06:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Peaches contain the sorbitol, a sugar alcohol. It is used as an artificial sweetner in gum amd it used as a laxative. For many IBSers it can cause problems such as gas, cramps and D.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#333576 - 07/30/08 07:04 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I had a real problem this week with rice.It's supposed to be safe but I had rice crackers,rice for supper and tried a slice of rice chees(which was gross and will never be eaten again)
I had gas right away and cramping.
It could have been from something i ate the day before but I was fine until I ate the crackers.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#333586 - 07/30/08 09:29 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Dragonfly, rice cheese has a super long list of weird ingredients and additives - it could well have been something in the cheese rather than the rice itself.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333613 - 07/30/08 12:45 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Well I won't be trying it again but even today when I ws feeling good I decided to try a rice cake and bam!within half anhour I was living in the bathroom.
It probably has something else in it that was the culprit but for now i'm avoiding rice.I like feeling good and I'm not needing to have a bm so bye bye rice!!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Maybe it wasn't the food? new
      #333615 - 07/30/08 12:56 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I guess I would say if I had to guess a food, the chicken broth unless it was fat free. But, for me, sometimes it's the portion size, or how quickly I ate it, what mood I was in and (this is so crazy) but where I am in my cycle. Some foods only trigger me before/during my period. If the foods were safe before, don't throw the baby out w/the bathwater!

rice cakes & rice cheese. new
      #333659 - 07/31/08 08:12 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I can't do rice cakes i thougth i was weird but i just can't. Rice cheese is trickey I can't seem to tolerate to much of it either. Some of it is gross the only kind I like is the mozzerlla and it has cassein in it . I really enjoyed it in my cheese bread! I guess cheese is out of the question so much for homemade pizza! hth
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review