All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone know how much fiber is in flaxseeds?
      #33291 - 12/22/03 05:35 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I read in a magazine that having at least 2 1/2 tbsp. of ground flaxseeds help pms cramps, irritable bowels, arthritis and I have all of those and they are severe, so I'm going to start eating flaxseeds. I was wondering if anyone knows the amount of fiber that is in 1 tbsp. since I buy it in bulk so it doesn't say. I looked it up on google but on one website it said 1 tbsp. has 2.2g of fiber and another said 3.3g
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone know how much fiber is in flaxseeds? new
      #33294 - 12/22/03 05:54 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

3g. in one tablespoon according to my source. Keep in mind 2/3 of that fiber is INSOLUBLE and only one third soluble, so don't overdo it. Maybe start with a teaspoon and work up from there, or mix it in with something that has more soluble like cream of rice or oatmeal. The amount you want to take is alot, and would throw me into an attack if I ate that much each day..............and this is from one who used to consume about a 1/4 cup a day...........mostly ground in my smoothies.....
Don't believe everything you read....there are other ways to help the problems you have.........no one food will cure everything....
Kandee

--------------------

Re: flaxseeds new
      #33344 - 12/23/03 05:57 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Not sure about how much fibre, but they are insoluble. It would be best to add them to your soluble fibre breakfast, after first soaking them in cold water overnight - apparently this makes them MUCH gentler and easier to digest.

Shellsbells

#33486 - 12/23/03 12:20 PM
till

I was thinking that 2 1/2 tbsp. is alot and it's high in fat so I'm actually not going to take any since I'm severely sick. I don't want to take any chances.
Thanks.

Re: flaxseeds new
      #33487 - 12/23/03 12:24 PM
till

Thanks. I was thinking it over and I'm not going to take any flaxseeds. I really don't want to get sicker since I already feel like death and insoluble fiber is hard enough to eat as it is.

#33501 - 12/23/03 01:38 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Oh, good point about the flax being high in FAT. I almost forgot about that aspect, and I have to be double careful about fats because I have no gall bladder. I only use a teaspoon full now, maybe a little less as I know it can be a trigger, just like all seeds and nuts high in fat and/or insoluble fiber. I guess best to take the wait and see approach and then when you do dive into them only a tiny bit, maybe even just 1/4 or 1/3 teaspoon to see how it sets. To tell the truth I didn't start back on flax for a year after the onset of this IBS..........scared to.
Good luck.............Kandee

--------------------

#33503 - 12/23/03 01:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If you finely grind the flaxseeds, they'll be much more tolerable. You can add them breakfast cereal or a rice/pasta dinner that way.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Kandee and her philosophy on flax seeds... new
      #33509 - 12/23/03 02:02 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

You know SO MUCH! You're right...you can't get everytihng from one food (my huuby tells me that all the time!) I always buy into these "miracle foods" and "miracle supplements". Truth is...everyone is diff. and every body is diff. and we all have diff. needs. What works for me might not work for you.....and what works for me today may not work for me a year from now.

Thanks for keeping us in perspective!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 931

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review