All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Is anyone else going to attend a BBQ this weekend?
      #331791 - 06/30/08 02:41 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

My husband and I were invited to a BBQ and to go 4-wheeler riding at a friends mountain property with 14 other people this weekend. I know it will be fun, but my IBS-D issues are constantly on my mind. My first thought when my husband told me he'd like for us to go was where are we going to stay and what's the bathroom situation with 14 other people. My husband's first suggestion was that we could sleep in our sleeping bags in the back of the pickup with our camper shell on it. Not my idea of fun since July 4th is also our 10th anniversary. So I went along with the idea at first just so I wasn't the "bad guy" ruining all the fun. Eventually we have both decided that we'd rather stay in a hotel nearby and ride 4-wheelers and attend the BBQ. That way we could have showers after riding all day in the dirt and get a good night's sleep and have a private bathroom should I need one in the mornings. We are staying the night Friday and Saturday and will come home Sunday. I'm wondering about the food situation, though and trying to figure out what I can take with us to pack for a "safe" lunch and something I can eat at the BBQ without feeling "out of place". Ya know what I mean? Anyone else in this situation this weekend?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is anyone else going to attend a BBQ this weekend? new
      #331798 - 06/30/08 04:21 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I would bring a big batch of low-fat cornbread, because who doesn't love cornbread? It's a nice SF base, too. Maybe bring some chicken breasts if it's going to be more of a burgers and dogs kind of affair. And a pasta salad? I'm not sure what the refrigerator situation is like.

You could bring some IBS safe desserts too, like safe brownies or zucchini bread.

We had a barbecue this past weekend and I made a batch of low-fat blueberry muffins, knowing that between my IBS and my IC I wasn't going to be able to eat any of the other desserts anyone brought. You know what? With the exception of some homemade ice-cream sandwiches one of my girlfriends made, the blueberry muffins were the hottest dessert! So people don't necessarily expect or prefer rich, fatty, over the top desserts.

Just my two cents - I'm sure more will chime in!

--------------------
IBS-C

#331810 - 06/30/08 06:05 PM
Nugget

Thanks for the suggestions, Fen!

#331814 - 06/30/08 07:37 PM
traveluvr

Reged: 06/14/08

If you have fructose tolerance issues, you may want to bring a BBQ sauce that is HFCS free. Most people are understanding, some may get grumpy. But I have stopped worrying about that.

#331821 - 06/30/08 08:57 PM
Nugget

I have no idea what is on the menu.

#331841 - 07/01/08 08:25 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I'm getting around it by throwing the BBQ. That way I'm in control mwaaa haa haa!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#331843 - 07/01/08 08:42 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Here is my game plan for situations like this:
I always bring what I can, but sometimes it seems a bit crazy to say, "hey, here's my cooler full of food, let me just eat this while everyone else eats those burgers"... So I bring lots of sides. I bring stuff everyone would like and share...it's like a gift for inviting me to whatever party it is.
But the single most impt. thing I do is eat before. I eat a small, but satisfying meal before we go somewhere. That way, A. I won't overeat B. I don't have to eat if nothing works for me belly C. I feel totally in control. But if you're going away for a weekend, then just eat a safe meal before the group meals, ya know? You can still nibble if there are safe items, but I just don't rely on it.
Hope that helps... try to have a fabulous weekend!

--------------------
IBS-A

#331851 - 07/01/08 10:26 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I agree!
Don't worry about anybody else. Take your safe food in a cooler and if anyone says anything tell them you have stomach issues.

Most people won't even notice what you are doing or eating anyway.People tend to be wrapped up in themselves so bring easy food in a cooler.

Cooked chicken breast,safe bread,pretzels(bring lots cause everyone else loves them too) whatever is good for YOUR tummy these days pack er up.

I'm hosting a 50th bday on the 12th and even though we are having tons of not so good for me food, I'm planning on eating my chicken and pretzels and water!I'm making dessert from the IBS cook book and that should be ok.
My fam all have tummy issues too so it's no big deal.

Have fun and eat safe!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#331950 - 07/03/08 10:00 AM
Nugget

thanks for the great suggestions, Aly. I've gone to the store and picked up things that I know I can eat. Plus...the probiotics I have been taking for a couple weeks now have started to really help, I think. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Happy 4th to you!

#331951 - 07/03/08 10:01 AM
Nugget

that sounds like a great plan! Actually we originally wanted to throw the BBQ, but a lot of our friends and family already had other plans for the 4th. So we have decided to do that at a later date. Happy 4th to you!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3533

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review