All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gluten-sugar free
      #331111 - 06/15/08 05:00 AM
Maryann2

Reged: 03/27/08

Has anyone found gluten - sugar free diet to help?
Just went to a complementary medicine doctor who wants me to try this for a few weeks along with Probiotics and amino acid.
thanks Mare

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gluten-sugar free new
      #331113 - 06/15/08 06:30 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I find when I limit my grains and sugar I feel better. I have read of others who find out they have had a gluten intolerance all along after trying such a diet. I guess the only way to know is to experiment and go from there. There must be some merit to it.Good luck. Let us know how it works for you. I also recommend the probiotics. They have helped me.

#331115 - 06/15/08 07:49 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I've tried both. I feel that sugar was actually the bigger culprit for me. After quitting both I felt like my bloating was better at first. But now I think it was because of the limited sugar intake. I've been on the road/eating out a lot and I found that a lot of times all there was left for me to eat besides meat was salads and vegetables. That actually made my bloating and pain worse. I tried to give it some time but after a while I figured that maybe gluten wasn't my problem. So about two weeks ago I added some wheat back. So far I don't feel any worse than when I was not eating wheat/gluten. I would even say that I feel a bit better (my schedule's been crazy lately so I did eat some triggers such as chocolate or had big portions so that's why I don't feel A LOT better ). I don't eat tons of bread and I only added the "plain" kind - sourdough bread, pasta, bagels. Basically I still don't buy muffins, cookies, pastries, crackers, and other stuff that has a lot of artificial ingredients. I still eat according to the EFI diet, I just don't eat the sweets (and fruit for now but I want to add that back eventually).

I would say the only way to find out is to give it a shot. There are many things that we cannot test for. We can test for celiac but someone can still be "only" gluten intolerant which the test wouldn't show (I've been told this by a doctor who specializes in celiac disease). During my last visit my gastro doctor told me that although I tested negative for fructose malabsorption, the tests are not 100% reliable and I should play around with my diet to really find out. So it's really up to us.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how it goes!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#331136 - 06/15/08 05:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have definitely felt better not eating sugar- but not using artificial sugars. I think the bad bacteria breeds on sugar so it helps not eating it. It is not directly IBS but does help the flora in the gut.
Gluten free is the diet du jour but it is good to try. It helps to avoid the simple carb foods that also increase sugar. But I think GF diets are recommended as a catch-all since GI is common and one might as well try not eating gluten.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#331138 - 06/15/08 07:02 PM
Maryann2

Reged: 03/27/08

Thanks all for the responses.
I'll let you know how I'm doing in a week or so.
Mare

#331206 - 06/17/08 02:10 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I feel better when I do not eat refined sugars or refined flours of any kind. We put my 4yo son on a GF diet in October, as a result, I significantly reduced the amount of gluten in my diet. I immediately felt better and saw a decrease in bloating. Occassionally I miss the psychological factor of the gluten in bread, but I acutally eat better and can follow Heather's guidelines more easily without gluten products in my diet. HTH

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review