All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Align probiotic new
      #331182 - 06/17/08 06:45 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

it did take me along 3-4 weeks until align worked for me. I was unbelievably bloated and almost miserable, but am THRILLED with the results now. So, I highly recommend keeping going...
don't know about the capsule coming out, but i'd give it another go anyway.

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#331184 - 06/17/08 07:30 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Thanks, yes, I intend to continue to see what happens. I understand that it takes time to work, but to work it has to actually stay in there and be absorbed!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#331187 - 06/17/08 08:54 AM
Ellen Davis

Reged: 06/10/08

What antibiotic caused your recent strife? My entire IBS situation began in March after I took a physician-prescribed Z-pack for a terrible case of head to toe flu. I got over the flu but never over the diarrhea component of it. I'm trying to load up on probiotics because I feel that the z-pack wiped out the good bugs. You?

#331190 - 06/17/08 09:39 AM
vettech

Yep, it was the Z-pack. I've taken it before, and it did give me D but I got over it shortly after taking the last dose. This time, not so much...if anything, I'm getting worse.

Why were you given antibiotics for flu (which is a virus)? Did you have a secondary bacterial infection?

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

#331192 - 06/17/08 10:03 AM
Ellen Davis

Reged: 06/10/08

Good question. I was running a fever so that means infection in there somewhere. The D had already begun with my illness before I started the Z-pack but I do think that didn't do anything to help the bacteria colony in the gut. How long does it take to get back to normal, whatever that is, after the Z-pack? As I mentioned, this happened to me in March. I'm ready to be over this stuff. I'm doing acacia and have just begun Align.

#331202 - 06/17/08 10:53 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Antibiotic trouble can manifest itself, even years down the road. So, if you had taken antibiotics as a child, it could be causing effects even now that you are older. They kill the good bacteria, allowing yeast to proliferate and grow. Over a period of time in warm, moist bodies, fungus/yeast can eventually cause unwanted symptoms. Sometimes simply using probiotics aren't enough to restore bowel flora, if yeast have had a chance to flourish in the bowels.

#331207 - 06/17/08 02:48 PM
vettech

Quote:

How long does it take to get back to normal, whatever that is, after the Z-pack?

I'll let you know when I find out - I've been messed up since Feb.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

UPDATE Re: Align probiotic new
      #331572 - 06/25/08 12:17 PM
vettech

Well, after a rough first week on Align (the first dose didn't "stay", and I had really bad bloating and gas for the next several days), I can say with some confidence that it seems to be working. On my second week, I am definitely feeling better. No more D, and gas and cramping are reduced. I've been able to increase acacia to 1 tsp. twice daily and that seems to be going well, too.

I'm still sticking mostly w/ the BTC diet (although I had eggbeaters last night and that went well). I attempted grilled salmon Saturday night and had stomach pains all night (though no D). I guess I have to let things calm down more before going back to that.

All in all, I'm more encouraged than I've been in several weeks.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3544 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6123

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review