All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
grasping at straws!!!!
      #330814 - 06/09/08 05:35 AM
Maryann2

Reged: 03/27/08

Short version!- Ibs since February - intestinal infection-hospitalized due to dehydration - put on tons of antibiotics.

Started Heathers diet and fiber - have been very strict with it since then. Lost tons of weight during all this.
IBS was somewhat under control - one semi solid BM in the morning. Most sever problem gas and bloating.

Recently had to have abdominal surgery for a growth on outside of stomach - which thank God was a benign overgrown lymph gland. But of course while hospitalized - the antibiotic thing again.

It has been a week and half since surgery and I am back to day one with IBS symptoms.
Diarrhea/tons of gas - constant upset stomach (biggest problem).
I do need to add I originally had Cat Scans ( which is when they found the lymph node), upper and lower endoscopes and many, many stool samples and blood tests. Not one came back with any abnormal results - hence the IBS diagnosis.

I have maintained the diet - take 1 teaspoon of Heathers fiber a day ( when I up it I get more gas) - drink fennel tea.
I am at my wits end - Nothing seems to be helping!
I have an appointment with a complementary medicine doctor on Saturday - but am having a terrible time just functioning each day.
I am just so afraid to try anything new or introduce anything new to my food intake.

FYI - Diet: Corn/Rice checks or oatmeal for breakfast- 1/2 teas fiber.
Snack on pretzels, banana,applesauce,peaches.
Lunch - turkey breast on french bread, maybe a few baked lays chips.
Dinner- rice, chicken/fish, carrots/beets.1/2 teas fiber.
Sip fennel/chamomile teas during the day (peppermint gives me more gas)

Sorry this is so long and I know there are people with more sever symptoms but I am about to loose it.
Like I said grasping at straws!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: grasping at straws!!!! new
      #330815 - 06/09/08 05:44 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Sorry to hear of your recent troubles. Sounds terrible.
The only thing I could see is that the fennel may be contributing to your gas. I can not drink herbal teas.The fennel gave me cramps and gas.I know, I'm backwards.

Another option for your your d is slippery elm tablets. It soothes the intestinal wall and stomach to help ease irritation.
I had surgery to remove my gallbladder in February and it flared my IBSd and I ended up with yellow d which is common with this surgery. Two days of Slippery Elm and it cleared right up.
It might help you.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#330816 - 06/09/08 05:44 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

The only thing I can offer you is sympathy. I am currently experiencing a resurgence of my IBS symptoms (the worst ever) since undergoing a course of antibiotics several months ago, and nothing seems to be helping this time around (unlike in the past, when I could usually get it under control).

Let me know how the appointment goes with the other doctor. I've been thinking of seeing a Naturopath because I've really lost faith in doctors.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#330817 - 06/09/08 05:47 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Do you know of other things that cause yellow d? I've had it with this most recent bout but I still have my gallbladder, and all the tests I've had have indicated no problem with it. I mentioned the yellow to my gastro but it didn't seem to make much of an impression.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#330819 - 06/09/08 05:50 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I don't know of anything else but possible food colors. I think someone posted about yellow poo.Try scanning through for the link.
Good luck

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#330824 - 06/09/08 06:39 AM
Maryann2

Don't know if my reply made it but thank you! sounds like you are going through the same thing. This really s_ _ ks doesn't it!

#330825 - 06/09/08 06:44 AM
Maryann2

Wow never thought fennel would cause more gas - maybe I'll stick to chamomile for a while and see. I will also look into slippery elm - thank you
By the way I had my gall bladder out years ago and back then they told me yellow stools were one of the symptoms and since then I have had it on and off. My regular gastro doc doesn't seem to get to excited about it either.
I know it has something to do with bile and how long food stays in intestines. But when you read so much about this subject you kind of loose the information in it's contexts.
Thanks again

ouch.... new
      #330845 - 06/09/08 01:43 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

So sorry you're having a hard time, but kudos to you for being proactive. One thing I notice for myself is that it's not just what I eat, but also how I eat it. I need to take my time, chew ridiculously slow, take small bites (sometimes I eat w/one of my children's baby spoons) and wait to see how each thing I eat is interacting with my system. I eat several small meals a day to acheive this and it does help me quite a bit w/the bloating. Also make sure the environemnt you're eating in is stress-free and enjoyable. HTH, good luck!

Re: ouch.... new
      #330852 - 06/09/08 03:07 PM
Maryann2

I don't know how some people that have had this for years do it. I've come to understand the mind/body thing. Eating has almost become a chore. Like I have to put something in my stomach or feel worse.
Just got back from my regular gastro doc ( they love these follow up visits after surgery) and he insists him and I together can overcome this. Put me on Levbid which is supposed to relieve the gas/bloating.
while I still am keeping my appointment with the complementary medicine doctor I have to try something in the mean time. I know taking drugs just masks things but I have been out of work a week and a half and have to go back on Wednesday. Thank God I have the kind of boss who has been so understanding and assures me my job is not in jeopardy.
( I am a secretary to a Superior Court Judge).
So I took the first dose and slept all afternoon.
We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Thanks for the reply

#330867 - 06/10/08 05:19 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Sorry to hear about your problems with this aggravating condition. I too had extreme bloating and gas until I took as much fructose out of my diet as possible. I also found that both oatmeal and bananas caused extreme gas and bloating for me. I don't use a lot of fennel tea but I do add a few seeds to my Tazo Calm when it is steeping. Another thing that has really helped me are probiotics. I take Align every other day and step them up to one a day if I have an attack that empties me out. They help the intestines get "aligned" or that is what my GI Doc says. Good luck to you and remember you are NOT alone.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: Thanks Barbara new
      #330871 - 06/10/08 06:20 AM
Maryann2

I am starting probiotics today. And my GI doc wants me to try Levbid to help reduce the gas and bloating. I know drugs just mask the problem but until I get to the complementary medicine doctor on Sat. I have to try something to get a little back on track. Like I posted before I have to go back to work tomorrow .
Today is not as bad as yesterday - not to say I feel great but a litter better.
I just have no energy of late and hope something breaks soon.
Again thanks for the reply

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3170

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review