All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can water be a trigger of IBS?
      #330745 - 06/07/08 12:10 PM
marko1

Reged: 06/07/08

I am an overweight 30y old male and I am just doing some research on some symptoms I have. I think I have IBS-D but I havent been diagnosed yet. I also think I may be Diabetic. These are sort of new revelations for me. Is it possible Water could be a trigger for IBS? Sometimes after I eat a meal say a few hours later I might drink a glass of water (or even only a few oz's) and I will have a bout of bad diarrhea. I have read about drinking cold water and how it can sometimes bring on diarrhea. But I have had it where I drink a small amt of slightly cold water and 10mins later I am in the washroom. The water I drink is usually bottled or from the office cooler or my filtered fridge tap so I dont think source bacteria could be the case.

I am so glad I found this site!

Mark

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can water be a trigger of IBS? new
      #330748 - 06/07/08 02:12 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Water is not an IBS trigger. You may be experiencing the effects of the gastrocolic reflect.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#330751 - 06/07/08 02:18 PM
LogicalGator

Reged: 04/27/08
Loc: Maryland, USA

Hi marko,

Definitely get checked out by a doctor. I also think I have IBS-D, but have not been tested yet - getting that done this week actually. At first I was dreading the tests but now I'm looking forward to knowing the results.

I haven't had the trouble you have with water, but I have found that sometimes my stomach is in such a bad state from something I ate hours before, that if I eat any food, even normally safe food, it's just such a slight irritant that my stomach reacts very badly. Before I started the EFI diet and carefully watched what I was eating, I didn't notice anything wrong with my stomach until well after I had eaten what caused it. I suggest you examine what you ate the meal or two before you have that reaction to the water, see if you ate anything then that might have caused the problem.

#330764 - 06/07/08 08:33 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey just a note.
Tap water treated with clorine is not good for your tummy.
Even well water going through a uv filter isn't that great.The parasites and bacteria are killed but their disgusting bodies are left in there for you to drink. Other parasites in our bodies feed off the dead.Ewwwww!

Just because it is bottled water, it doesn't mean these things are gone.
I only drink distilled water.All the harmful things are eliminated when water is distilled.
Maybe you could also try this.
It is harder for your body when you drink cold water.It uses more energy to bring that water to body temp.Don't know but maybe that is causing cramping which leads to bathroom breaks.
If you do drink tap water and you live in the city, leave the container on the counter open so the clorine can evaporate.Usually overnight.
Good luck to you.hth

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1085 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1564

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review