All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Problems with menus in the Book?????????
      #330372 - 05/30/08 07:53 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

When I look at HEathers sample menus in her books I notice some glaring issues. I wanted to see if someone could help me clear these up.

For one, I need more than 1300-1500 calories that the sample day menus in Eating for IBS provide. I think most people do. Is it me or am I missing something here?

Also I eat small meals and snacks throughout the day but find that I feel guilty when I compare it to the feeble menu listed in her books. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for any feedback.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Problems with menus in the Book????????? new
      #330377 - 05/30/08 08:34 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I don't intend this in a negative way, but have you seen Heather? She looks like she weighs about 105 pounds. So she probably really does only need between 1300 and 1500 calories a day. As a (presumably) average sized male, you probably need what? 2200? 2500? You need to eat enough to sustain yourself and as long as you're not eating 1500 calories worth of potato chips, don't feel guilty!

--------------------
IBS-C

#330380 - 05/30/08 10:16 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Have you tried simply eating more of EFI safe foods at each meal? Not by much but maybe start with 1/3 more? It would still be a lot less calories than what the average non-IBS person would eat. Heather is probably much smaller then you so it is very likely that even though with IBS we're supposed to have small meals, you might be able to handle more then in one sitting then a tiny woman. Good luck upping your intake, I agree that you need to eat more than 1500 calories per day.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#330383 - 05/30/08 11:26 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Thanks for the help guys.....I think you both are right to point out that Heather is much smaller. I just hope this diet doesn't just work for small women and will work for a man who wants to gain weight and be active in athletics and life in general. Hate to say it but sometimes it is tough having an ailment that men don't really admit to having. Also, I am not trying to offend anyone but some people I have encountered over the past year don't seem to be the type that play sports and like tough workouts. I will try eating more with the hope of gaining some weight and energy.

#330389 - 05/30/08 12:26 PM
Fen

I would try eating IBS-safe, calorie dense foods, such as bananas, avocados, small amounts of nut butters. Maybe some Rice Dream ice cream? Maybe try a smoothie with a banana, some berries, some soy milk and some protein powder? You can throw a little peanut butter in for some extra calories.

Though you probably can't tolerate hundreds and hundreds of calories at one sitting because of the IBS, you probably can tolerate more than us 110-pounders!

--------------------
IBS-C

Eat more? Whats there to eat? new
      #330399 - 05/30/08 01:32 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I would love to eat more but am so limited. I can't do bannans or apple sauce.I had can peaches with natural juice and it gave me gas and bloat today. I am always hungry even after a meal. I can't do avacdo's. I am baking blueberry muffins and having them as a snack but they are getting boring. I don't have that much choice for lunch unless theres leftovers and thats rarley casue were big eaters, and I don't want chicken for lunch and super. can anyone help? thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Re: Eat more? Whats there to eat? new
      #330404 - 05/30/08 02:29 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I snack a lot on pretzels.This fills my tummy when I've got a grrr on. I don't eat a lot anyway but pita chips are good too. Baked potato chips aren't too bad. I get my ice cream fix by eating frozen pureed fruit bars by Del Monte.
I buy fresh buns from the bakery because I can tolerate dairy in small amounts and either eat plain or toast with honey.
Dry cereal is good to snack on too. I really find when my stomach is empty I have worse problems. Just a handful helps.(course I can't always stop at just a handful)
Can you eat any lunch meats? Lunch is toughhuh. What about soup for lunch?
Can you do fresh peaches?Canned peaches might have preservatives in them. Natural is better.

HTH

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Eat more? Whats there to eat? TO EMMASMOM new
      #330411 - 05/30/08 05:17 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Can I get your recipe for IBS safe blueberry muffins? I would love to make some ) Thanks!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#330419 - 05/30/08 06:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You can eat as much as you want as long as the food falls into the diet. I don't see what the problem is. I definitely eat over 2000 cals a day most of the time and eat a lot more when backpacking. It is great though to eat often and not so much at once. You could be eating nonstop if you wanted to. The grazing horse diet I call it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

men and IBS new
      #330420 - 05/30/08 06:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Men maybe aren't diagnosed with IBS as often but I know a lot of men with IBS symptoms. And I know a lot of men who eat poorly and then don't digest well and aren't really embarrassed of the consequences. There is nothing to be ashamed of with IBS really. We just regularly have the same problems everyone has once in a while. There are very few people that don't get D or gas on a regular basis. My step dad has had pretty much no solid stool his entire life! He only eats dinner because he'll have to go after eating.
As for an active lifestyle: having IBS doesn't have to mean being a weak and pale person who never goes outside! I bike, run, hike or garden almost everyday and many here are active. Some people here are having trouble putting on weight, to be sure, but not all.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#330422 - 05/30/08 07:31 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I have IBS and I am more active than anyone I know. I run 40-50 miles a week and do hot yoga every other day. I also play tennis, and bike all the time. I notice I lose weight if I only eat like 3 or 4 meals a day.. eating smaller meals throughout the day seems to work better for me and gives me the energy I need. Def dont feel guilty about it, but I know exactly what u mean. Im sure Heather and everyone else eats more than that anyways, its just a basic guide.

I posted these on the recipe board! ENJOY!!! -nt new
      #330452 - 05/31/08 04:25 PM
emmasmom

#330550 - 06/03/08 12:36 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What about soups and frozen dinners for lunch? I, too, rely on leftovers for lunches, but when I don't have any, I often have a can of Amy's soup, or one of their frozen entrees. My favorite soup is the Lentil Vegetable and my favorite frozen entree is the black bean and vegetable enchilada meal.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#330556 - 06/03/08 01:49 PM
emmasmom

thanks for the advice but I can't do beans yet and I have never tried Lentils. Hopefully soon! thanks anyway for the help.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Edited by emmasmom (06/03/08 02:06 PM)

#330604 - 06/04/08 10:43 AM
Lisa Marie

Lentils are the easiest beans to digest, so might be a good place to start. But my point was, there are lots of soups and frozen entrees you can buy that are safe. Check the "healthy" ones like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice. I eat Amy's because I'm vegetarian. Hope you can find something!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

lisa marie can I have more info on lentils?-nt new
      #330605 - 06/04/08 11:18 AM
emmasmom

Re: lisa marie can I have more info on lentils?-nt new
      #330619 - 06/04/08 03:50 PM
Lisa Marie

Not sure what you mean... You could just do a board search. I just seem to recall others also commenting that they are one of the easiest beans to digest. But if you are still cautious, you could try this recipe that I posted awhile back, in which they are both cooked and blended. I'm pretty sure there are other lentil recipes on the Recipe Index as well.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

I don't know what they are or what to look for...... new
      #330622 - 06/04/08 07:12 PM
emmasmom

Sorry I have never had them before or know what they look like. My dh hasn't either. I am willing to ty them though thanks for the recipe.
Emmasmom
ibs-c

Re: I don't know what they are or what to look for...... new
      #330629 - 06/05/08 04:18 AM
Fen

They come in bulk bins at the HFS, or in bags with the dried beans in the grocery. They look like little split peas, and they come in several colors. My favorite are the red ones, because they cook up quicker and get nice and mushy! There are also green, brown, yellow, and I believe white.

--------------------
IBS-C

#330631 - 06/05/08 04:37 AM
Fen

This is my favorite lentil recipe - I can't eat tomatoes or spicy food anymore with the IC, but it's super yummy served over basmati rice!

--------------------
IBS-C

#330637 - 06/05/08 08:46 AM
Lisa Marie

Thanks! I will have to try this one! I LOVE Indian food...

Sorry emmasmom, I didn't understand what you were asking for!! Good luck with the lentils!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4759

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review