All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Im worried about stomach cancer
      #329835 - 05/15/08 04:29 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

my great grandmother and grandmother both died from stomach cancer (they had poor diets) My mother has diverticulosus and IBS, my cousin has IBS and I have it. I also have severe sensitivities to dairy and other foods and am also supposed to avoid gluten. thing is i travel now for work and no matter how picky i am when i eat out im sure im still being exposed to stuff i shouldnt eat. its easy to get food w/o dairy, but im not sure about everything else. truthfully i cant drive myself crazy..i need to focus on work and cant spend every minute of my trip picking the ideal restaurant for my needs..i just do the best i can. BUT i'm still worried that no matter how strict i am im still gonna develop a serious illness later in life. i'm scared

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Im worried about stomach cancer new
      #329849 - 05/16/08 05:22 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

According to my internist and my GI there is absolutely no evidence that IBS leads to cancer or anything other than more IBS. Worry will definitely cause problems because it increases stress. Take up yoga or get some of the relaxation tapes and chill.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: Im worried about stomach cancer new
      #329863 - 05/16/08 08:18 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with Barbara - my doctors also tell me that IBS will not lead to anything more serious. And stress will make you miserable so do whatever you need to to relax - even your work will be better for it.

However, if you're going to worry about this, see an oncologist. He or she can talk to you realistically about how much risk you're at because of your family history; whether diet really has anything to do with developing stomach cancer and, if so, what to be careful about; and what types of regular testing you should be doing, if any.

Once you have all the answers, then if there are real risk factors in your diet, you can focus on those instead of worrying about everything.

HTH. BTW, why are you supposed to avoid gluten?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: IBS may not cause cancer, but what about new
      #329873 - 05/16/08 10:51 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Food allergies and leaky gut?

I had a stool Ab test done for Gluten sensitivity and it came back slightly elevated. ive been gluten-free for 8 months but am not even sure if i really need to be. i must say that my constipation has improved as a result of cutting out wheat. i used to go 3-4 days without a BM and now i typically go every day even though i still experience some difficulty. I may get the genetic test for celiacs to see if im at risk cause right now im only going on a questionable test result that may not mean anything, but im playing it safe just in case it does.

Re: IBS may not cause cancer, but what about new
      #329875 - 05/16/08 11:55 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

IBS may not cause cancer, but what about Food allergies and leaky gut?

My guess is that the answer is no, those don't cause cancer, but again this is where an oncologist could be of great help to you.

If cutting out wheat has helped you, then it seems like the right decision. If you're not sure it's the lack of wheat, then try adding it back in and see how you do.

As for the genetic test for celiac, I did a quick read on it. If you decide to go that route, be aware it can be very expensive and your insurance may or may not cover it. The other thing to keep in mind is that:
- if you do not have the gene for celiac, you will never develop it but you may still have an allergy to wheat
- if you do have the gene for celiac, there is apparently still only a very slight chance you will develop celiac; you will need to have the antibody test (or the villi examination) periodically which means you will need to be eating gluten.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1226

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review