All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ways to Safely Get More Veggies (and fruits)
      #329613 - 05/11/08 07:09 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I am doing really well with the EFI diet. However, I am starting to worry about nutrition a bit, as I am getting significantly less fruits and veggies than I was before I started Heather's diet. Each day I usually have an apple in my oatmeal, a banana for a snack, some cooked carrots for another snack and a cooked veggie with dinner.
I feel like this is not enough...
However, I am a big snacker, my lunch is usually only a soy yogurt or small peanut butter sandwich so its hard to get veggies into my day while also having enough soluble fiber to make it safe. Plus I have to cook most of the veggies and I can't really cook while at work (I usually cook my carrots the night before and then just put them in the freezer) Any ideas for other easy fruits or veggies that would be safe? I was considering making the zuccini bread but its a bit high in fat for a snack for me I think. Help!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ways to Safely Get More Veggies (and fruits) new
      #329620 - 05/11/08 12:33 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Mmmm, zuccinini bread sounds great! There's also banana bread and I make pumpkin loaf too, and with apple sauce instead of oil, there's another fruit.

I also eat the Fruit to Go strips. I don't find they bother me. But I usually have them after lunch or a SF snack. Each one is 1 serving. Plus I drink a lot of fruit juice, which might not be for everyone. Cranberry and Minute Maid punches for me.

Good luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#329631 - 05/11/08 09:29 PM
LogicalGator

Reged: 04/27/08
Loc: Maryland, USA

Kteach, I'm in a similar boat: doing very well with EFI, and worried about my overall nutrition. I eat a banana and apple sauce every day. I think if I have SF first I do OK with strawberries and blueberries, though still testing (not raisins!).

What vegetable(s) are you able to eat cooked with dinner, other than carrots? I've been very reluctant to try vegetables. Before I found this site and the EFI diet, I had a really bad experience with pasta that had marinara sauce, ground beef, cooked broccoli and asparagus; might have been the beef but as a result I've lumped those veggies in my "maybe I'll try in a long time if I get brave enough" category. I'm more worried about my lack of vegetables than of fruits, because I have a harder time finding tolerable vegetables.

#329639 - 05/12/08 06:35 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Since you like to snack, cruise through the Appetizer list in the Recipe Index. It looks like there are some interesting veggie dips (carrot, beet?) plus stuff like baked zucchini sticks. I'm particularly fond of Shell's Artichoke Hummus from the Recipe Board. I've got suggestions in the thread for reducing the fat. There's also the Roasted garlic and green pea bruschetta from the EFI Cookbook. To me this just tastes okay, but I have a friend who loves it.

Also you might consider cooked vegetables eaten cold as a sort of salad - an extension of your carrots. Cruise through the Side Dishes in the Recipe Index and see what looks like it might work cold. Somewhere (maybe not on this site) I've seen, for example, recipes that call for grilling squash with balsamic vinegar, then eating it cold. You could even put it on toasted bread and call it a kind of bruschetta/crostini thing.

There are some nice pasta salads in the Recipe Index - I really like RachelT's Almond Chicken Salad - you can make a half recipe or even a fourth recipe and eat it for lunch for a few days. There's also Shell's Crunchy Tuna Pasta Salad - very easy to make, tastes yummy.

Last but not least, consider soup. There's no law that says you have to eat a whole bowl at a time - try just a half cup as a snack. If you have access to a microwave at work, that's great but there are soups that would be edible cold. You could even play around with creating some kind of gazpacho substituting more SF veggies for some of the IF kind traditionally used - maybe zucchini instead of cucumber, replace onions with onion powder, omit green peppers, and so on.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review