All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Could sugar be the problem?
      #328551 - 04/20/08 06:45 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

So I've finally got my bowel habits under control. However, I am still bloated all of the time! I know this is the most difficult thing to get under control. Lately I've been thinking maybe its the sugar. I don't have a lot of fat anymore, but between fruit and other things I eat (cheerios, apple cinnamon rice cakes, vanilla soy yogurt, etc) I just wonder if maybe sugar is making me bloated. I don't THINK it's fructose though...I could be wrong but I seem to feel okay after fruit and not as great after "table sugar" items...when I was younger I would get sick when I ate too much soda or frosting or something high sugar like that- I don't eat those anymore though...its just so hard to pinpoint what causes bloating because I am pretty much bloated all the time no matter what.

I know sugar is not usually an IBS trigger, but like I said most of the IBS is under control just the bloating...what do you think?

And if sugar is the problem, what in the world am I going to eat with no sugar or fat, yikes!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Could sugar be the problem? new
      #328561 - 04/21/08 05:18 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

It might be the high fructose corn syrup. This is different from natural fructose. HFCS causes me incredible bloating and gas and it is in almost all processed foods. Read the labels. I had to give up the flavored rice cakes because of it and most of the dry cereals I was eating. Most fruit doesn't bother me unless its all sugar like grapes.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#328562 - 04/21/08 05:55 AM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

Are you sensitive to gluten? My DIL had the bloating problem for years. She found out she might have celiac sprue (sp?) & went on a gluten free diet she felt better in a short time. No more bloating unless she eats wheat.

#328580 - 04/21/08 08:57 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Other people have reported sugar as a problem, despite it being listed as a non-trigger. Maybe it's like oatmeal and bananas and soy.....those aren't safe for everyone. Maybe sugar isn't safe for some of us. You aren't alone, by any means.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review