All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Quinoa
      #328245 - 04/14/08 11:30 AM

Unregistered

Hey, how do my fellow IBS-C people do with quinoa?

Thanks!
Jen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Quinoa new
      #328247 - 04/14/08 12:21 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I love quinoa and I don't have any problems with it! I eat it in place of rice (most of the time - once I tried making sushi with it and it turned out pretty disgusting ).
Usually I just put it in my ricemaker - 1 cup of quinoa and 1.5 cup of water and it's yummy!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#328262 - 04/14/08 04:32 PM

Unregistered

Thanks, Zara. That's great to hear. I'll definitely experiment with it. (But not with sushi. You've saved me the trouble there... ) Do you eat it with any other IF at the same time?

#328264 - 04/14/08 05:33 PM
Zara

I'm not sure how to answer, I eat it both ways - with and without IF. Sometimes I make it as a side to grilled chicken or fish, sometimes I add steam veggies (carrots, asparagus, green beans). Lately I've been making a stir-fry - chicken, whatever veggies you can tolerate (for me it's carrots, mushroom, bean sprouts, baby corn, bok choy), then add quinoa and homemade hoisin sauce. It's really good and the quinoa really goes well with the sweetness of the hoisin sauce.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#328274 - 04/14/08 07:47 PM

Unregistered

Thanks, that sounds lovely. I guess I'll have to feel out my own tolerance. I know Heather calls quinoa a better tolerated whole grain along with oatmeal and brown rice. I eat all kinds of dangerous (steamed) vegetables now with basmati rice -- broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, but I can't tolerate brown rice. I hope I'll be able to eat quinoa, with or without IF, because it's so healthful. It's the mother grain! Fiber, protein, iron...

#328294 - 04/15/08 11:22 AM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

Fine here!

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

zara new
      #328497 - 04/19/08 02:27 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do you eat quinoa every day? I'm bored with it and need some new GF options, besides rice which constipates me. Even brown. Is this why you avoid it?

And how are you doing with the Acacia? Is it helping you yet? (if you are at a hirer level).

PS. How's the GF diet going? I need some inspiration and creative ideas for meals/snacks.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: zara new
      #328507 - 04/19/08 05:27 PM
Zara

Jordy, no, I don't eat it every day. I would get tired of it pretty soon if I did. Usually I make a batch, eat it for two or three days, then move onto something else. Or eat something else inbetween those days. I don't think I have problems with rice, or at least I haven't noticed. I don't avoid it, I just try to eat other stuff as well, just for variety. So my GF staples are rice cakes (I found a few varieties that I really like), rice crackers (from the Asian section of my regular grocery store), potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice noodles (the white kind), rice pasta, rice (white and brown but mostly brown). I actually really like all of these so I don't miss the wheat stuff too much. I made a loaf of GF bread (from mix) and I still have some in the freezer. The only thing I do miss is sweet things - cookies, brownies, etc. So I made myself a batch of brownies the other day and they came out really good. I used a combination of rice flour, finely ground cornmeal, and cornstarch (1/3 cup of each to make up for 1 cup of regular flour). They are really good and it's a way for me to get my fix.

Acacia - I'm still taking 2 teaspoons in the morning and at night. I haven't seen any improvements with the bloating or BMs but now that I think about it, I have had less painful attacks in the last few months. So it could be that the Acacia is working in this way.

GF...it's going. I realized that I need to have substitutes form my favorite things to be able to stick to it. Like I said above, I don't really care too much for breads but I do need to get my sweet fix when I crave it. I found a lot of great sounding ideas here , I haven't actually made anything yet but my mouth was watering just reading through the posts .

How have you been feeling, are you doing any better?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#328514 - 04/19/08 07:49 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

. I realized that I need to have substitutes form my favorite things to be able to stick to it

I think this is the key!Problem for me is that all the rice substitutes cause me worse C...just too much rice I guess?

Ooh, did you find that brownie recipe on the celiac board? I miss sweets too! You have to try the chocolate cake for one GF style, like Kandee. I use this same cake mix and it is really good. web page
i have to try to find some more substitutes so I don't feel deprived. If you find anything or have any ideas, please share if you can. But please don't worry about it if you don't want. Seriously, I don't expect you to do all my work! I'll have to cruise that website for some ideas and products to buy. Thanks

So, your up to a total of four tsp acacia now?

OH, another product I recommend is Nut Thin web page I get the almond flavor.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#328521 - 04/20/08 04:36 AM
Zara

That chocolate cake sounds good! I'll post the brownie recipe later today, it's very easy.
I'll let you know when I find more tasty substitutes. For now I'm fine with the brownies. I haven't really noticed any difference in my C - still have good days and bad days. Oh well, I have to be patient. But it definitely didn't get worse. I can't imagine what it must be like not to be able to eat rice .

I've heard about the Nut Thins, I'll have to look for them at my HFS. Thanks for the tip!

Acacia - yes, 4t per day.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3508

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review