All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Does anyone drink white wine?
      #328078 - 04/10/08 11:52 AM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Hi All,

Does anybody on this listserve drink white wine? If so, what kinds of symptoms do you have, if any?

I miss my wine so much! It's hard enough to give up dairy, chocolate (which I love)!, tomato and coffee.

Sometimes I feel like just eating or drinking what I want and damn the consequences!

Candy2

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone drink white wine? new
      #328081 - 04/10/08 12:05 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have a glass of red or white homemade wine with supper almost every day. I cannot drink commercial wines. I believe this is because the fermentation is stop with sodium metabisulfate. I use potassium sorbate to stop my wines. I don't start drinking wine until after I have eaten about 1/2 the meal.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#328086 - 04/10/08 01:08 PM
Candy2

Hi Syl,

How would I acquire or make homemade wine?

Thanks!

#328090 - 04/10/08 02:19 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I drink it occasionally usually after dinner. It's worth noting, though, that I was on Heather's EFI diet for quite a while before I felt stable enough to try wine.

You don't necessarily have to give up tomatoes and you really shouldn't have to give up chocolate. Tomatoes are one of those things that some IBSers can handle and some can't. Introduce them slowly in cooked dishes and see how you do. I've gotten to the point where I can eat them raw in salads and sandwiches.

As for chocolate, there are lots and lots of recipes for safe chocolate desserts in the Recipe Index. And once your gut has calmed down you may well find you can tolerate a small piece of store-bought chocolate candy.

I also saw your post on the Fitness Board where you said:

Quote:

I was wondering if other members have the same problem I do. On days when I have a bowel movement, I don't seem to empty totally and have abdominal cramps. I go back to the toilet thinking I have to have another BM but I don't.

I pray this is not colon cancer.

That sounds like "incomplete evacuation" which is a common and maddening symptom of IBS. For me, time on the diet and increasingly SFS took care of that.

You say somewhere else that you're having a colonoscopy which should answer the question about colon cancer. That possibility needs to be eliminated, of course, but the odds are you have IBS so try not to worry - easier said than done, I know.

HTH. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#328091 - 04/10/08 02:34 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Making homemade wine is simple. Red wine is a primary source of anti-oxidants due to my restricted consumption of fruits. It is known to contribute to longevity. The most difficult part of making wine is waiting 9-12 months until the wine is ready to drink Here is how I make red wine.

I buy 22.8 liter pails of pure California red grape juice from a local wine/beer supply store. I don't buy wine kits that use juice concentrates because they contain a lot of chemicals.

Remove the lid from the plastic pail and stir the juice. Make a hole in the lid large enough to hold a rubber stopper with an airlock. Here is a picture of a rubber stopper with an airlock. Let the juice sit a room temperature for 3-4 weeks. It will bubble as the natural yeast in the juice ferments the sugars into alcohol releasing carbon dioxide bubbles.

Place the pail in a cool dark place for 8-9 months (50-60 degrees F). During this time the natural chemicals in the juice react together in the presence of alcohol to give the wine body and taste.

Usually, 1/2 way through the period I decant the wine by siphoning with plastic tubing into an empty pail to remove the wine from the grape sediment. Throw away the sediment. Put the cap with the stopper and air lock on the pail you decanted the wine into and let continue to sit.

At the end of the period, add 1 tbsp potassium sorbate per pail (it is not related to sorbitol) to stop the wine and let it sit for a day or two. Sterilize screw top bottles and siphon wine into the bottles. Drink as you wish. You will find the wine gets better when it gets to be 14-16 months or older.

I do things a bit different for white wine because the chemistry of making white wine is a bit different than for red wines. About a month after the fermentation is finished instead of decanting into another pail I decant into a carboy. Place the carboy in a cool dark place and wait until the end of the period. Stop the wine with potassium sorbate and transfer to sterilized bottles just like red wine. Drink

I have 2-3 pails on the go all of the time. I buy the juice in the autumn immediately as it comes off the truck from California. It costs $50-$65 per pail here which on a per bottle basis is about 1/5 to 1/3 the cost of store bought wine. This amount gives gives me enough wine for two people to have one glass of wine with supper every evening. And there is plenty to give friends when they come for dinner too

If you decide to try making some wine and if you have any questions please ask.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#328102 - 04/10/08 05:07 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Not white, but blush or fruit wines occasionally. I usually get rosy cheeks and a fuzzy nose! But that's just the wine! I don't seem to have any side affects, but I limit myself to a small glass on very few occasions throughout the year. I even managed a vodka cooler on Easter weekend, after a good, sf based dinner. But I won't be heading out bar-hopping anytime soon - too hard on the tum overall!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#328113 - 04/11/08 07:23 AM
Candy2

Sand,

Thanks so much for your very helpful comments to me. What is the EFI diet? I have only started the IBS diet a few weeks.

Candy2

#328116 - 04/11/08 08:30 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

What is the EFI diet?

Sorry, jargon. The EFI diet is the Eating For IBS Diet which is the same as Heather's IBS diet. In other words, the diet described in this Website and on these Boards. It's all the same thing. Sorry for the confusion.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#330208 - 05/26/08 11:45 AM
Candy2

Hi Syl,

Thanks for your detail on making home made wines. Would it be possible for me to buy a bottle from you? I would be happy to send you a check for the wine plus the shipping costs to northeast WI.

I just can't wait 9 to 12 months to drink the wine. I am getting more stable with my IBS thanks to my acupuncturist. I now have a BM every other day and I am IBS-C.

Perhaps I should try a little store bought wine first so that I know I am ready for your wine.

Thanks in advance!!

#330664 - 06/05/08 04:49 PM
Candy2

Hi Syl,

Would you consider sending me a bottle of your home made wine? How much would you charge me for the wine and shipping?

Please e-mail me at cjk711@yahoo.com to coordinate this.

Thank you. I hope I hear from you soon!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1812 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review