All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lots of questions - novice at work
      #326697 - 03/17/08 08:42 AM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

The only thing I'm really sure about are my symptoms - stomach pain relieved by bowel movement and gassiness on a frustratingly inconsistent basis. Typically much worse in the morning. I've had this in varying degrees since i was a kid. While it sounds like stereotypical IBS, could it be something else like lactose intolerance?

I've been taking Acacia fiber for a couple of weeks but I haven't completely stabilized. I'm not sure if its due to my diet or the fiber. Does taking an excess amount of Acacia produce gas? After stabilizing for a week (taking 1 tsp 2x day) I still had a small amount of gas that made me nervous (i was afraid that it meant worse things although it never did.) so i tried cutting back to half of what i was taking. Then I had a bad couple of days so i increased the amount to 2x what i was taking in the first place. Reading the forum it sounds like I might be making my changes in increments that are too large.

If I eat something that doesn't agree with my body, when can i expect to suffer the consequences? I've had a few meals which break all the IBS eating rules and I feel perfectly fine 24 hours later. For instance - burger, fries, and guiness for lunch, followed by cheesecake - fine for the next 24 hrs, then i have an episode. Could it trigger an episode that far out? This is one thing that I find maddening - I'm having a lot of trouble telling what upsets my stomach. One evening I had a pulled pork sandwich and 3 beers and i was fine for several days.

I noticed that carrots should be fine but I've had them as a late night snack with hummus a couple of times and my stomach has been upset the next morning. Does this make any sense?

I do get plenty of exercise (6-8 hr. a week of intense cycling - I commute to ork) and this does help a lot. So I'm not breaking all of the rules.

This is my pile of mysteries. Any advice or insights?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lots of questions - novice at work new
      #326699 - 03/17/08 09:23 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Have you been properly diagnosed with IBS by a gastroenterologist? IBS can mimick a lot of other gastrointestinal conditions and problems. You need to first get tested to rule these things out before you can be sure that it's IBS you are dealing with.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#326700 - 03/17/08 09:27 AM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

>>Have you been properly diagnosed with IBS by a gastroenterologist?

No, but I've had problems like this for years and years.

Also, I'm underinsured. Nothing is covered up to $10k in expenses.

I'm not too crazy about the idea of going to a doctor that may or may not understand my problem and is unlikely to come up with an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan.

#326741 - 03/18/08 05:42 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Well, self diagnosis is very risky. While it sounds like IBS and you can use the information on this website to try to treat it, there is no way any of us can give you any amount of confidence that it is IBS. In the meantime if it is something else then that problem is going untreated.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review