All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
o.k., colonoscopy down and endoscopy left to go...
      #325967 - 03/03/08 05:42 PM
tobigirl23

Reged: 01/26/08
Loc: Virginia

I had my first ever colonoscopy today (even though I've suffered with (what I think is) IBS since my 20's (at least) and I'm now 51. I was scared, but - like people told me would happen - I slept through the entire procedure. The night before the conolonoscopy, I drank the medicine powder with blue Gatorade...but then I had terrible heartburn. I'm not sure what caused it! Anyway, the surgeon found two pre-cancerous polyps and some internal hemorrhoids. I'll learn what the lab says about the polyps in a few weeks. I figure there's nothing to worry about, though, right? After all, he just pulled them out and so I should be fine, right? He wants me to have another colonoscopy in two years. I'll be having the endoscopy on Wednesday, because of the vomiting I've been having (fairly often) with the stomach spasms. So...the blood test came back negative and the colonoscopy came back negative, so does that make it certain that I have IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: o.k., colonoscopy down and endoscopy left to go... new
      #325974 - 03/04/08 05:20 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Your experience was similar to mine except for the heartburn. Gatorade is a BIG trigger for me so I bet that caused the heartburn--it is full of high fructose corn syrup!! I had two polyps as well. I am 57 and my GI said three years. Hope they find out what is causing the vomiting. I have never had any upper GI symptoms thank goodness.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326017 - 03/04/08 12:02 PM
tobigirl23

I'm going to ask the dr. or nurse what else I can drink the next time I have the colonoscopy done then. I didn't realize that Gatorade is so full of sugar (I guess I should have read the ingredient list - I never drink Gatorade otherwise. Maybe I'll try the Propel next time...). Today, I was totally exhausted and sleepy...and my back was a little bit sore. I wonder if that's from yesterday's colonoscopy. Maybe the tiredness is from the anxiety I felt/feel and the impact of the colonoscopy on my body? I keep wondering if the removal of "precancerous polyps" means that the polyps had *some* cancer on them that the surgeon could see, but the removal means the cancer hasn't spread and is now annihilated or what? I'm trying to not worry too much, but it's difficult. The endoscopy is scheduled for tomorrow. My mom has a hiatal hernia, so I wonder if they'll find that I have one, too... If so, my mom says the medicine she takes for her hiatal hernia has made all of the difference in the world for her, so there's hope for that. Barbara50, thanks for your reply. I appreciate the feedback regarding the Gatorade, and it's good to know that I'm not alone. Barbara, were your polyps called "precancerous" by the surgeon? Once they were removed, did it mean you didn't have cancer, or did you know about cancer for sure only after the lab had analyzed them?

#326035 - 03/04/08 01:40 PM
Barbara50

My polyps were described as just polyps but I have read that all polyps are considered precancerous. My polyps were sent off to the lab but the pathology was benign. Also, I drank ginger ale and chicken broth (fat free of course) during my colonoscopy prep. Good luck on your endoscope. I hope they get you some good answers on what is going on.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326057 - 03/04/08 03:23 PM
tobigirl23

Thanks, Barbara. Maybe I'll try the gingerale next time.
-Jean

Re: Endoscopy results new
      #326097 - 03/05/08 08:46 AM
tobigirl23

The doctor didn't find much (nothing to explain the vomiting): mild gastritis and a small hiatal hernia. He sent some biopsies away for testing (looking for flora?). He said I can continue to take the Prilosic if it helps, but he's not sure why I've been vomiting with the stomach spasms and constipation or why I've had the heartburn. He said he may decide to give me another test to see "how I empty?" (how my stomach empties???) Perhaps the vomiting and heartburn have been only from a lower tolerance (over time) to my lactose intolerance...

#326121 - 03/05/08 01:07 PM
Barbara50

Well heck. I was hoping you would get some answers. Now just more questions. I can tell you that lactose intolerance has always caused my daughter (now age 37) to vomit, especially anything with cream cheese or sour cream. Also she has no tolerance for citrus of any kind and has the same reaction. The vomiting may be food intolerance related. At least you know it is nothing bad!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326131 - 03/05/08 01:42 PM
tobigirl23

Yes, I was sort-of hoping to get some answers, too. I've always had difficulty with fruit juices. They upset my stomach and bring on those apthous ulcers inside of my mouth. I came home today and snuggled under two blankets and slept, but I was very cold. The nurse called and said the anesthesia can make you feel cold and to try drinking something warm. I was too wiped out and cold to do it right then, but I'm drinking some hot chocolate (took the Lactaid pill with it) now. Also, I have a slight fever. First it was 100.7 and then it was 102. Now it's 100 again. I called the center where I had the procedure done and the nurse said the procedure and anesthesia wouldn't be responsible for it. She said to take Tylenol if it rises higher and to call her back.
-Jean

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2023

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review