All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need to rant
      #324564 - 02/12/08 11:57 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

IBS sucks! I feel like i'll never be stable and never be able to go to the toilet regularly again. It's so annoying. Plus, there's far too much dietary advice out there on how to manage IBS i don't know which way to turn. Who's right and who isn't? How do you know whose answers to trust and who's answers to reject?

Sorry, rant over. Thanks for putting up with me.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need to rant new
      #324566 - 02/12/08 12:00 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I know how you feel Sarah. I need to get these rants out sometimes too. I know there are far worse diseases to have, but this is still no walk in the park. Sometimes you just need to get it off your chest...

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324567 - 02/12/08 12:01 PM
welshsarah

Thanks Erilyn, you have no idea how much i appreciate your response. It just gets so frustrating y'know. Especially when i think back to a time when i didn't have to give a second thought to what i eat and now i seem to think about it all the time.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324577 - 02/12/08 12:21 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Sorry Sarah ! You're right, IBS sucks and I also wonder whether I'll ever be able to eat whatever I want! I have friends who are trying to lose weight and I'm so jealous of their diets, because if they cheat the only punishment is a few oz of weight gain but no pain or C or bloat . But that's why we have each other here, when someone has a bad day the rest of the board members are here for emotional support

I also think of days when I didn't have to worry about anything I put into my mouth and I was fine. Oh well. But we will get to the point where we'll have our diets figured out and will be mostly symptom free! We've gotta believe and keep going!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324579 - 02/12/08 12:24 PM
welshsarah

Thanks Zara. Sometimes i don't know what i would do without the support and encouragement of those on this site. It gives me the courage to persevere

How did your test go last Thurs? When are you getting the results?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324583 - 02/12/08 12:33 PM
Zara

I have a follow-up appointment on the 20th but I'm pretty sure they didn't find anything, that's how it always is. Judging by the tests I'm the healthiest person on the planet. Too bad I just don't feel that way. So that's why I believe that diet is the only way for me. I get the tests done for the peace of mind (and I am a little hopeful that something easy and curable would be found) but I really think it's the diet. Right now, my brain is going like "wheat and dairy, wheat and dairy..." so I have to gather up all my strength to stick to the diet and see if that's what it really is. I keep re-reading those ideas from K2 and that's basically what she's done and it sounded like it worked for her. That's a huge encouragement for me. Whenever I properly tried elimination in the past (if I don't count those two weeks before Xmas because that wasn't long enough) I always did wheat OR dairy but never together. So I think that's what's next on my agenda. Now I just have to figure out how to make myself stick to it .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324585 - 02/12/08 12:46 PM
welshsarah

Sounds the same as me. Wheat and dairy free does sound like the winning formula- i just don't have the will power to stick to it for any length of time. Nor do i have the creativity to work with limited options. I over complicate things in my mind because i keep stressing about gaining weight which doesn't help my IBS nor my diet! I wish i could be more black and white sometimes and not worry about stupid weight issues and just focus on stabilising my IBS.

How can we help each other try the K2/no wheat and dairy diet? Are you cutting out oats aswell?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: What is K2? new
      #324593 - 02/12/08 02:05 PM
Erilyn

Just wondering what K2 is?

There was actually a point in my life where I cut out wheat, sugar, and most dairy (all but cheese), and it actually did help my IBS for the most part. It virtually cured my bloating and gas (seriously!), and helped quite a bit with the D. It did, however, make the C a little worse, but I wasn't taking fiber supplements at the time. This diet was the Atkins Diet - the one diet Heather says is the worst thing for us IBSers. I've been toying with the idea of trying an IBS-adjusted version of Atkins - something wheat, sugar, and dairy-free, but low-fat and still allowing rice. I dunno though... I'll try this a little longer.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

Re: Sarah and Erilyn new
      #324599 - 02/12/08 02:40 PM
Zara

Sarah, no, I'm not cutting our oat, not yet anyway. I'm not as strict as K2 as I'm still eating other grains - rice, corn flour tortillas, etc. I can't give up everything at once . It might be my next step if needed, though.
I think it would be good for us to write all improvements we get. That might be also encouraging to other people here. I'm not good at keeping a food log since I feel that it only makes me stress over what I eat. But I can share food ideas, etc. For example, today I had oatmeal, burritos made with corn flour tortillas, beans, rice, salsa, a banana, applesauce, rice crackers, soy cheese, and I'm making grilled salmon with baked potatoes for dinner.

Erilyn, the question isn't what is K2 but who is K2 . She's a member of these boards and she seems to be pretty succesful with the EFI diet with her own little tweaks. She sent us some basic ideas on how she managed to fine tune the EFI diet. If you want, give me your email and I can forward it to you. I don't think K2 would mind since she sent it to a bunch of people.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324646 - 02/13/08 10:04 AM
welshsarah

Hey, yeah that sounds like a good idea. I've seen some improvement in the last few days. I haven't been as constipated even though i've been eating dairy (i just can't resist chocolate!!!). The only thing that has changed with my diet is that i've cut out gluten completely- not even eating oats. We'll see if this continues...! I haven't been focussing on the SF/IF balance either. I've just been trying to eat more fruit and veg and zero gluten.

I'm rubbish at keeping a diary- it'd make me stress too and become even more concerned about food!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324662 - 02/13/08 12:53 PM
Zara

Oh yeas, dairy chocolate is my biggest sin! I know I'm going to eat some tonight because hubby and I are celebrating Valentine's day (we're traveling tomorrow) so he will get me some. At least I'll try not to eat the entire box, lol!

So no oats either? You're hardcore but it seems to help . I wonder about eating GF oats. I remember reading that the reason oats might contain gluten is because of contamination so maybe eating organic oats that specifically say "gluten free" would be OK. My sister in law has celiacs and I think she eats oats without problems. She's very particular about her diet (which by all means she should be) so I'm sure she wouldn't take any chances getting "glutened". I'm going to have to question her about that . But, of course, she might be OK with oats but not us since it's a different disease/syndrome .

I'm a little bloated and C today. I think it's because I had too much sugar last night (hard candies, about 8 over the course of the evening). Stupid me .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324664 - 02/13/08 01:33 PM
welshsarah

I'm still bloated but feel relieved that i'm not AS constipated. Sweets and chocolate are my biggest weakness. Whenever i tell myself i'm going to give them up i end up eating more of them! These i can not live without. So, i guess i'm going to have to get used to living with some degree of bloating

Hope you have a great holiday and nice time with hubby tonight.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324689 - 02/13/08 05:26 PM
Zara

Thank you! I was right and did get chocolate . My husband was so proud that he even remembered to buy me dark chocolate (which unfortunately has milk filling - truffles ). So how could I refuse a present this considerate? And, to be honest, I don't want to refuse anything since the truffles are delicious! So I had two and hopefully I'll manage to be good and not to have more tonight .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Sarah new
      #324703 - 02/14/08 06:09 AM
Zara

Sarah, so if you don't eat oats either, what do you eat for breakfast? I need to get some fiber in so I used to rely on cereal with wheat or oats to do that trick. I know some people here recommend Rice Krispies but for me that's not enough fiber. I just bought these flakes that are wheat free but checked the box and they do contain oats (among other grains).

Oh, and my doctor sent me back the results of my tests. Surprise surprise, everything is normal. Just as I expected. So I'll see what he has to say at the follow-up appointment.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324706 - 02/14/08 06:58 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I alternate between this web page and his cream of brown rice. The first one has more fiber, though. I put berries in them, plus 1 T flax for added fiber.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#324709 - 02/14/08 07:01 AM
Jordy

eating GF actually caused me to go from diarrhea to total constipation. Glad it's working for you.

--------------------

#324721 - 02/14/08 08:13 AM
Jordy

Quote:

Plus, there's far too much dietary advice out there on how to manage IBS i don't know which way to turn. Who's right and who isn't? How do you know whose answers to trust and who's answers to reject?

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Why are some IBS folks helped by high fiber grains, cereals, etc? Or told that yogurt is helpful? There is so much contradiction amongst articles, doctors, websites. It totally messes your mind up.

--------------------

#324726 - 02/14/08 08:35 AM
Erilyn

Quote:

I know some people here recommend Rice Krispies but for me that's not enough fiber.

I eat Rice Krispies for breakfast, but I add about a tablespoon of wheat bran for added fibre. It's a small enough amount that it doesn't seem to bother me. I also stir 2 tsp of Acacia into my soy milk before pouring it onto my cereal.

--------------------

#324729 - 02/14/08 09:04 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am eating wheat-free, but for a while I was gluten-free too (didn't find it helped), during which time I ate Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal for breakfast. It's like oatmeal and it's pretty good. Like you, I need something pretty filling for breakfast, Rice Krispies would not cut it for me.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

And I just saw this... new
      #324730 - 02/14/08 09:08 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

While I was looking up that Bob's Red Mill site, I just noticed this- gluten free oatmeal. Maybe worth a try!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#324733 - 02/14/08 09:27 AM
welshsarah

No way, that sucks. I've never had D from food always the C, can't seem to go a week without some C.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324734 - 02/14/08 09:33 AM
welshsarah

Sorry to hear you didn't get any answers from your tests. IBS is so annoying!

For breakfast, because i can't face food when i just wake up before work i now have a fruit and nut bar made out of puffed rice, nuts, and fruit, nothing else added. I eat it at my desk in work. Before i used to have those nature valley bars which i LOVED. I really miss them. But today, after 4 days of being completely GF my bloating is minimal. My stomach looks flatter than it has in ages. I'm still a bit bloated and constipated but nowhere near as bad.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324735 - 02/14/08 09:36 AM
welshsarah

You guys seem to have much more foods available in the US than over here. We have barely any alternatives for those who are on a GF and/or dairy free diet.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324767 - 02/14/08 03:11 PM
Zara

Erilyn, good idea with the rice krispies and bran. I guess I could do the same with oat bran.

Renee, thanks for the tips, I'll look for them next time I go to the HFS.

Sarah, so good to know that after 4 days your bloating has improved! I'm really being tested now, I'm at a relatives' house and I have to attend a wedding tomorrow! My relatives are very understanding about my diet but there is just so much temptation everywhere! But I shall be strong...I think...I hope .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324796 - 02/15/08 08:55 AM
Zara

So last night after dinner, when everyone else was enjoying desserts such as creme brulee and other dairy, wheat loaded stuff, I couldn't resist and ate some (well - quite a few) M&M's and 2 squares of dairy free chocolate. Stupid, I know. I got so sick later that night and I'm all bloated today. I'm not sure if it was all that sugar or dairy from those m&m's but I'm definitely staying away from those from now.

Tonight is the wedding reception and the father of the bride was so concerned about my diet that he spoke to a dietitian about what I can and cannot eat. Isn't that sweet? I just hope the dietitian was knowledgeable because I'm not sure I could break his heart and tell him that, in fact, I couldn't eat it. But it sounds promising because I heard things like rice and steamed veggies and something with a sweet potato. I know I'm really blessed to be surrounded by supporting people .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zara new
      #324800 - 02/15/08 09:10 AM
welshsarah

That's so nice of him! How was the meal? Don't beat yourself up over the bloating - i can never resist in those situations and probably would've eaten more than you did because i always end up saying to myself "i've blown it now so i may as well have loads of the food that i can't usually eat and make the most of it". Not the healthiest attitude but hey ho.

I think i'm rather sensitive to sugar too as i've had loads of jelly sweets and sugary drinks and i'm now feeling rather rough. I really need to curb my sugar addiction! That's next on my list after i've found the diet to make the BMs regular. Speaking of which, i have had one every day this week (6 days in a row). They haven't been easy but they've been happening which is amazing for me! The only thing i'm doing is not touching the gluten and seems to be working. I'm even having coffee with normal milk, wine, chocolate. SO, if i can cut these out maybe the bloating will disappear...

Anyway, hope you're having fun despite your IBS. x

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324890 - 02/16/08 10:21 PM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Quote:

IBS sucks! I feel like i'll never be stable and never be able to go to the toilet regularly again. It's so annoying. Plus, there's far too much dietary advice out there on how to manage IBS i don't know which way to turn. Who's right and who isn't? How do you know whose answers to trust and who's answers to reject?

Sorry, rant over. Thanks for putting up with me.

I agree with every letter of every word, esp the 'sucks' part. One site will say this is good for IBS, and another will say the same thing is bad. It's gotten so I have NO clue what to eat/drink/do.

How do we get enuf protein in our diets, if whey and soy and hard-boiled egg whites bother us? What, eat chicken every single meal? which is nearly what I've been doing, lately. Legumes are good protein, but they cause gas.

I used to enjoy food... now it's just consumed to survive. And, if we're not supposed to take vitamins, then how do we get all the nutrients we need from such small meals with so much limitation of choices?

IT'S INSANITY, that's what it is.

** cheryl **

Sarah new
      #324893 - 02/17/08 07:04 PM
Zara

So the wedding was on Friday evening. I had those M&M's on Thursday but was really good all Friday. So, of course, I had a painful attack Sat evening, started before the wedding, then kinda went away but I was still bloated and I hurt. With the food there - there was actually no rice or steamed veggies, but raw veggies, ham, shrimp, and fruit (and lots of stuff I couldn't eat - crackers, some pasta dish, deep dish tomato pie, cake...). And the family was so happy with how well they managed to accommodate my diet . So I couldn't really tell them that I needed the veggies to be cooked, etc. I ate some shrimp and vegetables and fruit that I think are safe (carrots, cantaloupe, strawberries).

I haven't had a BM since Thursday but that's how it is when I travel. You seem to be doing so well with the diet! Maybe you could even have coffee and the bloating would still go away as long as you cut out dairy! I'm really going to try and focus on no dairy hardcore - not even a tid bit of it in chocolate, etc. And, as you say, sugar, of course.

The positive thing is that I was considerably less gassy on the wheat free diet (a huge deal if you attend a wedding ). So I feel like my body's improving, just need to give it some time.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review