All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is undigested food typical?
      #323589 - 01/30/08 11:21 PM
canadia

Reged: 01/30/08
Loc: Canada

Sorry, but I've googled this a bunch of times and can't find any information.

Is large amounts of undigested food in the stool typical of IBD-D? When I have D, I end up expelling mostly whole food. It doesn't matter what it is - vegetables, meat, bread - it goes through me without being digested. I've only lost 5 lbs in the last month, so when I don't have D, it looks like I'm digesting *something*.

I'm worried because I have one doctor who thinks I have IBD, and one who thinks I have IBS.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is undigested food typical? new
      #323590 - 01/31/08 03:56 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Undigested food is often found in even healthy peoples' diets who don't chew their food well enough. I know personally I have to remind myself to chew food until it's practically liquid, as it is a LOT easier to digest that way.

I have heard of undigested food being common in people with IBS aswell as in people with some IBDs and of course, in normal people who bolt their food.
Don't worry too much about it-I am sure it will become clear to your Drs what is going on if you concentrate on chewing your food and they re-do some stool tests.

Yep-nt new
      #323602 - 01/31/08 08:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#323611 - 01/31/08 08:52 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I agree with Wheresthedamnloo. If you eat too fast and don't chew well, you will see the bits of food in your stool. I've also noticed that happening when eating too much IF, too much fat, or just overeating in general. I think that's why Heather points out that "how you eat" is as important as what you eat.

#323620 - 01/31/08 09:14 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Yes, this used to happen to me a lot - and still does occasionally. I used to be really bad with chunky tomato sauces, now I try to buy the smoother ones, and/or just chew more thoroughly. And I can't eat fresh basil - it always goes through me undigested - usually in the form of a very soft BM or D.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2734 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review