Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
glad to find this forum
      #323240 - 01/26/08 01:25 PM
tobigirl23

Reged: 01/26/08
Loc: Virginia

Hi,
I'm new and I just want to say that I'm glad I found this board. I've had IBS since I was in my 20's (maybe even as a child, because I remember my mother giving me LOTS of prune juice!) (also have some lactose intolerance). Up until recently, I've just dealt with the cramps and bathroom stuff while still eating anything I wanted. I don't know if ibs gets worse with age, but as I've gotten older (I'm in my early 50's now), I've begun vomiting with the diarrhea. Even that didn't stop me from eating and drinking whatever I wanted. Finally - this past year - I had two accidents in my husband's car - one diarrhea and the other vomiting but making it to a fast-food bathroom before the diarrhea hit. It was humiliating! Fortunately, I saw similar stories on the aussie ibs support board, so I know I'm definitely not the only one who has had that experience. Anyway, now I'm trying to get a good grip on this thing so it won't happen again. I picked up a few books to read, and I've been eating light all week. I'm drinking a lot more water and I have diet coke only rarely, and heavily iced now(I've been a diet coke addict up until now). I'm going to check out the recipe board, since all I've allowed myself this week is packages of brown sugar oatmeal, baked Lays potato chips, Activia yogurt, some canned chicken noodle soup, a pb&j sandwich, and Nilla Wafers, Celestial Seasonings Peppermint tea, and peppermint lozenges (the ones in the tin). My husband and I ate out last night at Logans, one of our favorite restaurants. I got iced tea, but I put Splenda in it (and now I see that Splenda can be hard on the stomach, so I'll put sugar in it from now on), water, and the chicken salad. I ate only one roll, lightly buttered (even though there's butter on the top of the rolls, too), stayed away from the peanuts (I love peanuts), and put half of my salad and honey-mustard dressing aside to take home (a tip I've read here, I think). I've been trying to keep a record of everything I've eaten. I ate a little more of my salad later last night and I think I'm going to have to lay off the purple onion slices, too. What a bummer! I just hope I can get this ibs under control, because I can't stand having accidents in the car! Now I empathize even more with my mother and her hiatal hernia problem she had for so many years. Anyway, I'm going to sit down and read about ibs and then try to make some diet adjustments. I note that some people take Immodium (?) before they go out to eat to try to prevent accidents? Does that work well for you? Does anyone here take Fluvoxamine (Luvox)(for depression and anxiety) *and* Immodium? Any problems taking Immodium while you're on the Fluvoxamine?

I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone with this problem. Thanks for being there and for being brave enough to talk about it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: glad to find this forum new
      #323300 - 01/27/08 07:34 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

hi there and welcome!

I am new too. I am an Aussie. Do you have the link for the Aussie board aswell? Might help me in regards to stockists of IBS friendly food.

I am like you-I've been eating whatever I want and blaming it on everything BUT my most fave foods!
So it's goodbye coca cola, pizza, choccies and coffee! COFFEE!!! :P

Good luck and God Bless. Feel free to ask questions here they are really helpful.

#323306 - 01/27/08 08:50 AM
tobigirl23

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome. Here's the url: http://www.ibstales.com/
I guess it's not really a message board like this, but stories about how ibs has affected people and one person's experience with ibs. I liked the idea of being able to have your own blog, but it appears that anything you post becomes the property of that board and they can do anything at all with it. Maybe that's the same thing here, but this board seems to have more information, too, so I chose to join this one. Btw, if anyone knows of something good that will get the smell of vomit out of a car (my husband's - he and the kids have now taken to calling it "the barf mobile"), please let me know. He has tried Febreeze and some other stuff, but to no avail. He pointed out that it seems I always have my accidents in his car in winter - making it especially hard to air the car out. However, I've had only two accidents where I couldn't reach a bathroom in time...

Btw, glad to meet you. I've met a few really nice aussies on imvu, too. Good luck to you.

#323307 - 01/27/08 08:57 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Put a generous sprinkle of bi carb soda on it and leave it overnight. Vaccum it up or wipe it off and add a drop of mint or pine oil.

Thanks for the link! I think this site is a lot bigger too! Welcome!

#323309 - 01/27/08 09:03 AM
tobigirl23

Thanks. Y'know, I just went back to look at that site again and now I don't know where I got the idea that it was an Aussie site. Maybe some of the stories were from Aussies; I don't know. Hope I didn't accidentally mislead you about that. The stories on the site are still very, very comforting to read after you've accidentally vomited or had a bm in the car. Thank God my husband is a forgiving man! I never, ever thought something like that could ever happen to me. Each time, it was right after a restaurant meal where I ate lots of peanuts, bread w/butter, salad, etc.
-Jean

#323314 - 01/27/08 09:45 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

I've been eating whatever I want and blaming it on everything BUT my most fave foods!
So it's goodbye coca cola, pizza, choccies and coffee! COFFEE!!! :P

Ha! That's what I did for over three years. I found this site in 2004, but thought - I don't have problems with dairy, I don't have problems with high fat, I don't have problems with things like salads... yeah, well maybe I do!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323315 - 01/27/08 09:49 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi tobigirl - I don't get problems with nausea but I have had D accidents in the car before. Twice. It's not fun. As a result I feel most anxious when I am driving somewhere. This spring my husband and I will be taking a 9-hour drive up through the mountains and wilderness where bathrooms will be few and far between. I am actually contemplating buying some adult diapers. Gosh, how pathetic does that sound?

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323332 - 01/27/08 01:56 PM
tobigirl23

Hi Erilyn,
I feel bad for you, me, and everyone else who has had that happen to her (or him). It's so embarassing. I wonder if adult diapers (or adult briefs, as one book I'm reading said to look for) would catch much of it. That's what concerns me. I went to the grocery store today and bought some items with fiber in them. I felt a bit like a fish out of water, because I'm trying to understand what to buy. I bought some of those blue chips (they taste alright), some graham crackers, Nilla wafers, organic apples, Lactaid, frosted mini-wheats (thought about that Kashi cereal, but decided to go with the mini-wheats...I've had trouble with the mini-wheats before, but that was when I had them with milk), etc. My husband is making meatloaf (all beef) for dinner tonight. It has oatmeal in it, but I'll still have to be careful of portions, I guess. After I've read the books, I'll probably have a better idea of what to buy to eat...(I hope).

Hard traveling and keeping healthy. What type of food do you eat while traveling?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1845 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review