All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tell me about your experience with ORANGES
      #322420 - 01/15/08 06:14 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do they cause you any particularly problem for you? Can you eat them? Often?

Thanks....I know everyone is different, but I would just like some how y'all do with them.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

And fresh pineapple too, please-nt new
      #322422 - 01/15/08 06:24 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: Tell me about your experience with ORANGES new
      #322424 - 01/15/08 07:11 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Pineapples and oranges both give me gas and heartburn. I assume because of the fructose. I could take or leave oranges but I love pineapple!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322442 - 01/16/08 07:57 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I love oranges and miss them.. heartburn and the acid in them kill my stomach! I would love a orange right now!
emmasmom
ibs-c

Thanks, and more please post new
      #322461 - 01/16/08 10:14 AM
Jordy

Thank you Emmasmom and Erylin. I don't have heartburn, so maybe they are okay.

I am asking others to please, please, please share your experience. Okay, I'm begging, but I have no humility today. Just feel so tired of always hurting with this IBS.

--------------------

Actually new
      #322463 - 01/16/08 10:17 AM
Jordy

Oranges are low in fructose. What fruits do you eat?

--------------------

Re: Actually new
      #322466 - 01/16/08 10:37 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I always wondered about that. I can handle small oranges, like mandarins, but orange juice gives me terrible gas and heartburn! I guess the acid doesn't help.

Sometimes I can eat small amounts of fruit - like a plum, a kiwi, some green grapes (but not red ones), and I can usually eat some berries no problem. I've always been able to eat bananas (but they are low in fructose anyway).

My problem has always been worse with juices. Grape juice is AWFUL for me - it's worse than a laxative. It has always put me in the bathroom with horrible D. Certain blends of fruit punches give me problems too. I just stay away from juices altogether just because of my bad experiences. The stuff isn't exactly healthy for you anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Sometimes I wonder if fructose is actually a problem for me - I'm 90% sure that it is, but it doesn't seem to make sense that I could eat a slice of apple pie without having any problems. Maybe there is a difference when the fruit is cooked? Or maybe I can only handle a certain threshold (which is why I can handle small fruits but not things like juice, which is concentrated).

Who knows...

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Re: Actually new
      #322470 - 01/16/08 11:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While most citrus fruits have equal amount of glucose and fructose some variety of oranges - like navel oranges - can have more than 3 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams.

Fruit juices are different than the whole fruit because the pulp, etc has been removed. This increases the amount of fructose per 100 grams in juices. So while you may be able to handle small servings of some fruits it is quite likely than you may not be able to handle fruit juices. Generally speaking fruit juices contain about twice as much fructose as glucose.

Fructose malabsorbers can have different fructose tolerance thresholds. Some people can handle a few grams of excess fructose while other cannot handle 1 gram.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#322475 - 01/16/08 11:38 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I do not eat a lot of fruit in the first place but I know that I have to be careful with oranges. If I am feeling well I can get by with it but there are other times, like right now, I would not even try it. Orange Juice is out though.

Re: Thanks, and more please post new
      #322492 - 01/16/08 03:30 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Jordy, I just plain cannot eat them without getting awful gas and often D. The only fruit I can eat well is small amounts of berries, kiwi fruit and mangoes. I tolerate applesauce if its organic. I get away with small amounts of frozen peaches in lemonade or smoothies but not fresh peaches. Strangely enough I can tolerate lemon but of course I don't eat them--just the juice very diluted in water, etc.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#322496 - 01/16/08 04:17 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

oranges are tough for me. I've had some that haven't affected me when I was very stable, but overall, they make me feel pretty off. A slice or two is OK but I don't think I'll be trying a whole orange for a long time.
As for pineapple, I'm fine with it--but same thing, not a whole lot. I'm a firm believer in everything in moderation! So a slice of an orange is great, but nothing too much for me.
Hope that helps...

--------------------
IBS-A

#322535 - 01/17/08 07:54 AM
emmasmom

I can't handle any juices apple and fruit punch are the worse for me... I can handle strawberries and peaches either can or fresh no pears at all! Don't like apples. But I miss canleope and honeydew! any suggestions?
emmasmom
ibs-c

Yes, we need suggestions. epecially from C/A folks new
      #322540 - 01/17/08 08:44 AM
Jordy

If high fructose fruits tend to be "out" and oranges are so hard for everyone, what fruits do you all eat? Especially those with C? I can't do bananas either, I think.

I've been eating oranges (luv them) and hope that this is not my problem, although I think they just may be now.

--------------------

Edited by Jordy (01/17/08 08:46 AM)

Re: Yes, we need suggestions. epecially from C/A folks new
      #322541 - 01/17/08 08:47 AM
Aly

I eat a lot of applesauce, or baked apples. They always do well for me. I'm usually great with green grapes as long as I have a good SF base. Also, smoothies with cran juice and strawberries and half a banana are fine. Other than that, I try to stick with veggies...since cooked veggies are so much easier on me!
Hope that helps!

--------------------
IBS-A

Thanks Aly new
      #322547 - 01/17/08 09:04 AM
Jordy

Do you peel the apple first? How do you bake it? Have you ever tried one raw? I know that applesauce and apples are high in fructose.....so not sure I could do those. I have too many food fears.

--------------------

Re: Thanks Aly new
      #322550 - 01/17/08 09:30 AM
Aly

I hear you about the food fears...it's tough knowing that something you may eat may make you sick. It took me a LONG time to get to where I am. I was diagnosed at 14 and I feel like I just a few months ago got the hang on balancing my IBS. (I'm 24 now). The only fear I give into still is that I only try something new on weekends or on a day off, as I still worry I'll get sick from new things.
As for apples, I do eat the skin. As an IBS-C, I really need the IF. I do eat apples raw, with a bit of PB after like a sourdough roll or something. As for baking them, I either cut them up, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake or cut a whole in the middle of the apple and stuff the cinnamon sugar inside. I don't think fructose affects me that much. I do remember times of eating a plum on an empty stomach and being sent home from work b.c I would get so sick... so I try to avoid high fructose items on their own. SF is my best friend, especially sourdough pretzels!
Good luck... I find that once the fear subsides, it makes it easier to eat and enjoy....sometimes the idea of eating something scary causes more anxiety and leads to an IBS attack. I know...vicious circle, right??
Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-A

#322580 - 01/17/08 04:42 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I can drink orange juice all day but fresh oranges give me spazms. Weird...

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: Yes, we need suggestions. epecially from C/A folks new
      #322613 - 01/18/08 06:59 AM
emmasmom

I am c I can do strawberries/ peaches/ nectarines/ no bananas no grapes no apples no watermelon. going to try blackberies soon!
hope this helps
emmasmom
ibs-c

Cara Cara oranges?????? new
      #322760 - 01/20/08 08:15 AM
Jordy

Yes....any feedback helps me. It truly takes a village. I hope more people will still be willig to share.

I have been eating Cara Cara oranges, which are suppose to be lower in acid, so I thought they would be okay. But it looks like only one person can eat oranges. I thought there would be more.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6039 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review