All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are millet, spelt and kamut soluble or insoluble fibers?
      #321749 - 01/06/08 08:07 AM
susanl

Reged: 01/06/08

Heather says to avoid red meat. However, my body does not absorb iron from non-meat sources, so would a few ounces of low fat beef once or twice a week be all right. Beef does not seem to be a trigger food for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are millet, spelt and kamut soluble or insoluble fibers? new
      #321790 - 01/07/08 05:06 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are many other dietary source of iron than beef. See this NIH wite site for an excellent discussion of other sources of iron in foods other than beef.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#321805 - 01/07/08 08:30 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

If you are 100% certain that beef is not a trigger for you, then by all means enjoy it now and then! Every single food on the common triggers list is not a trigger for EVERYONE. I am nearly certain that aspartame, for example, doesn't bother me. I also seem to be able to handle small amounts of dairy. And yes, even beef – I had some ground beef still in my freezer from before I started the IBS diet, and rather than throw it all away, I decided to try it one night. I cooked it in a frying pan with no oil, dumped it all onto a plate covered in paper towels, then pressed more paper towels down on top to squeeze out as much grease as I could (there wasn't much because I always bought lean or extra lean anyway). I then combined it with tons of soluble fiber – potatoes, carrots, rice – in a casserole, and had no problems with it whatsoever.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#321806 - 01/07/08 08:34 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

When I make anything with ground beef for my husband (i.e tacos, hamburger helper type stuff) I rinse off the beef with warm water in a collander. Nobody seems to notice and it always tastes the same. It gets alot of the grease off.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2254

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review