All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
PARASITES?
      #321299 - 12/29/07 11:16 AM
FRZ_L_FRY

Reged: 12/29/07
Loc: SAN DIEGO, CA

HELLO-MAY I FIRST SAY THANK YOU HEATHER. I NEVER THOUGHT ANYONE WOULD UNDERSTAND MY PAIN. SIMPLE WORDS CANT CONVEY TO THE NON-SUFFERER WHAT HAVING IBS IS LIKE. I ALMOST CRIED WHEN I READ YOUR BOOK AND SAW MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS FINALLY EXPRESSED BY SOMEONE ELSE. SO THANK YOU WITH ALL MY HEART. I DO HAVE A QUESTION HOWEVER. I WAS LOOKING ON YOUR SITE FOR A PLACE THAT CARRIED YOUR TUMMY TEAS HERE IN SAN DIEGO CA. WHEN I CAME ACCROSS A NUTRITIONIST WHO SUGGESTED TO ME(FLAT OUT SAID!!)THAT IBS IS CAUSED BY A PARASITE AND THAT IF I FOLLOWED HER PROGRAM FOR 6 MONTHS(MEDICINE&DIET) THAT MY IBS WOULD DISSAPPER AND I WOULD NOT BE BOTHERED AGAIN. IS THIS A FACT? I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANY OF MY DOCTORS MENTION PARASITES BUT THEN AGAIN THEY NEVER MENTIONED YOU EITHER GRATEFULLY YOURS FRZ_L_FRY

--------------------
MALISSA CALLAHAN

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PARASITES? new
      #321314 - 12/29/07 07:42 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I have IBS. I was tested for parasites and result was negative.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: PARASITES? new
      #321316 - 12/29/07 08:23 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I was also tested for parasites and the tests came back normal. But here's info from another post I made tonight (in case you missed it)... Hope this helps:

Have you ever had a fecal fat test? If not, you definitely should! While doing some research on probiotics for you, I ran into some very helpful information for myself... I had the 24 hour fecal fat test done several months ago. The level of fat in my stool was double that of a normal person - this finding was an indicator of the following:
1. Celiac - both the blood test and endoscopy ruled this out.
2. pancreas insufficiency - CAT scan ruled this out.
3. Chron's - colonoscopy ruled out the possibility of this in my large bowel, but the camera pill will rule out the possibility in my small bowel (which I'm scheduled for next month)
4. Infection, Giardia, small bowel overgrowth (SIBO) - I was tested for giardia but not SIBO. I didn't even ask my doc about SIBO because the way he wrote it down, I thought these 3 were all one in the same - It wasn't until researching for you tonight that I ran across info on this. So, I'm now very angry with my doc (but that's ok b/c I had already planned on firing him).

Anyway, typical symptoms of SIBO are: excess gas, bloating, diarrhea and abdominal pain. But, they do say that a small number of people have chronic constipation.

Also, very interesting note (here's a quote from the link below):
"There is a striking similarity between the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and SIBO. It has been theorized that SIBO may be responsible for the symptoms of at least some patients with irritable bowel syndrome. The estimates run as high as 50% of patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Support for the SIBO theory of IBS comes from the observation that many patients with irritable bowel syndrome are found to have an abnormal hydrogen breath test, and some patients with irritable bowel syndrome have improvement of their symptoms after treatment with antibiotics".
And another quote:
"The most popular theory is that patients with irritable bowel syndrome have a subtle abnormality in the function of their intestinal muscles that allows SIBO to occur."

It may be worth checking out...

http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestinal_bacterial_overgrowth/article.htm

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review