All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dairy and dental health
      #321215 - 12/26/07 05:28 PM
AKmagnolia

Reged: 12/26/07

I have some major dental problems(cavities and broken teeth, needing root canals and crowns,etc.)I just can't afford the dental work right now but that's another thing. I always thought that dairy products should give you strong teeth and bones. It sounds like you should be cutting out dairy products if you have IBS though. If so, how do I get the nutrients I need for my teeth to stay strong? I really don't need any more teeth problems but I can't stand the agony of IBS symptoms either.Any ideas?

--------------------
IBS-D
Diagnosed at age 30 but having symptoms since age 26

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dairy and dental health new
      #321216 - 12/26/07 05:47 PM

Unregistered

Me too. Cracked teeth here. Im starting on liquid calcium w/magnesium tonight.
These are foods I found on line that have calcium:
Tofu (with calcium sulfate), sardines, salmon, turnip greens boiled, green beans, spinach, broccoli, Chinese cabbage, kale and Almond milk also has calcium.
Sarah

#321222 - 12/27/07 05:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A large percentage of the world's population cannot drink milk or eat dairy because they are genetically unable to digest lactose - a sugar found in dairy. However, they still get the calcium they need from dark-green, leafy vegetables (e.g. broccoli, turnip, collard greens, and kale) and from fish with soft, edible bones, such as herring, salmon, or sardines.

If your IBS is sensitive to dairy then elimination of dairy from your diet should not make any difference to your teeth if you eat other sources of calcium or take a calcium supplement.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#321223 - 12/27/07 06:32 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Switch to rice or soy dairy subs, but make sure it's got calcium added. And, as Syl said, make sure you're getting calcium in other foods as well.

#321247 - 12/27/07 03:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Soy milk has the same amount of calcium that milk has. Just to be safe I also take a cal/mag pill and eat Luna bars.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#321250 - 12/27/07 07:12 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I always thought that calcium gives you strong bones and teeth. Soy has lots of calcium, especially soy yogurt. I've cut out dairy and started soy and for the last year-not one cavity. Usually every time I go in, I need to have a filling.
Well, this is just my thinking.
By the way, what is your daily dental care routine? What helped me is Crest multi-care toothpaste and mouth wash. I also floss after every meal.

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1422 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review