All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
update on stool test and levbid
      #321137 - 12/23/07 08:49 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

As many of you know I have been doing horribly for about 3 months. My GI doc recommended pep caps before every meal to calm my gut and prevent spasms. It really wasn't strong enough to help so I filled the prescription for low dose levbid he gave me. This is helping but not as much as I'd like. I am actually not having side effects though like I have before on levbid and bentyl. I might inquire about getting a larger dose now. It is definitely taking away the pain but the bloating is only a little better and the gas is also somewhat better.
The stool test I had done is back and it shows very low beneficial bacteria especially bifida. I have taken probiotics for 3 months so this shows how bad I must have been when starting. I also have a slight candida overgrowth but just +1. A few red blood cells were seen as well and my immune system in the gut was taxed. I am going to take an acid supplement that helps kill the candida called caproyl and up my probiotics to a higher dose.
I am also cutting back on sugar better than a few weeks ago. Anyway I wanted to post these results so that it gives some info to anyone in the same position.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: update on stool test and levbid new
      #321139 - 12/23/07 09:42 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

thanks very much i found this really helpful - i have just had my stool resutls back as "normal" dont think they give out as much as they do in the us her ein the uk but i guessin that normal is ok !! Also i am waiting for results on my Barium enema now - but a candida overgrowth has been mentioned to me before only i did the diet to cut out yeast and wheat and the diareah was worse than its ever been so i aborted that plan !! i have got some probiotics and was going to start taking them too !! i wish i could get my stomach back - i have alot of niggly and annoying pains and sharp pains and stuf that go on down there all around the bowel and colon area - have once or twice panicked that i had appendicitus but hey !! Anyway thanks for ur info xx jen

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

#321140 - 12/23/07 09:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Did you GI doc do the stool test? What was the name of the test for that checked for Bifidobacterium bacteria levels and what species did they test for?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#321165 - 12/24/07 04:08 PM
Little Minnie

The diet I was given for controlling yeast suggested cutting out sugar, canned stuff, vinegar, more than 2 fruits a day, wheat, salted nuts, juice and spices. I am not doing all that but that is what should help for higher yeast levels I guess.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#321166 - 12/24/07 04:16 PM
Little Minnie

No Doctors Data out of Illinois did the test. It was very in depth. The data I have received about the healthy bacteria was bififobacter 0, E coli spp 4+ (good), lactobacillus 2+, enterococcus spp 0. Also I had an imbalance of beta strep not group A 3+.

--------------------

#322654 - 01/18/08 04:47 PM
jenniferL

Reged: 11/19/05

Hello. I was just recently diagnosed with candida. Are you still following a diet? Any tips you can give me. I am really struggling b/c there is like nothing I can eat. The no carbs is killing me since I have IBS. Thanks.

#322961 - 01/22/08 03:56 PM
Little Minnie

I am not staying on the candida diet. I had very low amounts and so with the caprylic acid and more probiotics I am hoping it will balance out.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1826

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review