All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS might not be what you have got but a symptom, Electromagnetic radiation might be the cause.
      #320760 - 12/15/07 10:10 AM
avcavcd

Reged: 12/15/07

Dear all
I have been suffering with IBS symptoms during the last year. After doing some research I reached the following conclusions:
My condition is nothing to do with diet, but with Electromagnetic Fields radiation. It is everywhere and high levels of the magnetic one, I believe, is causing my condition.
I had suspicions of EMF and found tools to check it out and monitor it. I have to say that my symptoms are not present as long as I stay away of magnetic fields over 2 milligaus. If interested check this website http://www.electronichealing.co.uk/products/emf_protection.htm or try to find a EMF meter somewhereelse in order to check which areas might have high EMF radiation present.
Surprisingly my worst enemy was an old cathodic computer screen which was exposing me for long periods of time to a magnetic field of between 10 and 20 milligaus. As soon as I switched it off, my life changed completely; a dull pain that I used to have, sometimes all day long, vanished completely. Now I am in the situation that my wobel is kind of scared and very sensitive, specially to EMF radiation. I know it for a fact because I keep measuring the levels with a meter that I invested in [investment that has given me back my normal self most of the time]. As soon as I find an area with a high magnetic field I know that I have to keep away or find the source in order to remove it or relocate it, otherwise my bowel starts to feel like very itchi.
In terms of my diet, before finding the EMF issue, became bizarre because I started to try to find which foods were affecting me. Nowadays I eat anything and has no effect on how I feel.
Another element of my bettering is to do with the problem of constipation which I still have, I believe to do with my bowel not being able to function properly because of its scaring and sensitivity, the way that I manage to have, at least, a daily motion is by means of irrigation. I found a method that suits me to force the motion so that the stool does not stay too long in my system, thought it used to cause me feeling very bloated and unwell due to the stool going off. Now I can get my system working and the end result is that I feel fine but for the scaring and sensitivity of my bowel.
I do not inted to tell that what might be causing IBS to everyone is precisely what I have explained, I just intend to share my experience.
I would like to suggest that if people do not find ways of bettering, that at least try to check EMF which is something that is not obvious and that is invisible. A first step would be to get a EMF meter to check if there are sources which are too high and to which exposure is quite permanent. The recomended levels for magnetic fields are from 0 to 1 milligauss which have no biological effect, from 1 to 3 milligauss the situation is borderline, beyond 3 milligauss it is recomended that long term exposure should be avoided.[Reference: Trifield (R) Meter]
Finally, I would like to clarify that high magnetic fields are everywhere and shortlived exposure to them might not be a cause for alarm. In the other hand, I believe that what caused my condition is to do with me being exposed to such a high magnetic field for over two years; an average of between 45 and 50 hours a week.
Nothing to lose for checking, it has changed my live. A month ago I would not have had the energy to write in this forum.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nonsense ... new
      #320768 - 12/15/07 10:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There isn't any evidence in the GI research literature that shows a relationship between electromagnetic radiation and IBS. Generally speaking there is no evidence to support the notion that normal levels of electromagnetic radiation, even from cell phones and computer monitors, has an effect on human health.

In the 1990s the US Congress asked the National Academy of Sciences to review the research literature on the effects from exposure to these fields and determine whether the scientific basis was sufficient to assess health risks from such exposures. The final report on the Possible Health Effects of Exposure to Residential Electric and Magnetic Fields concluded

Quote:

the conclusion of the committee is that the current body of evidence does not show that exposure to these fields presents a human-health hazard. Specifically, no conclusive and consistent evidence shows that exposures to residential electric and magnetic fields produce cancer, adverse neurobehavioral effects, or reproductive and developmental effects.

Also see web page and this web page.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Nonsense ... - Not necessarily for the individual new
      #320772 - 12/15/07 11:17 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

So there may be no proof that electromagnetic fields have anything to do with IBS. But I do believe people can be sensitive to electromagnetic fields. My parents know a woman who can't tolerate normal amounts of electricity. Tricky for her, though she can still tolerate enough to live in a special apartment. A friend of hers however stays in an old trailer without electricity out in the countryside far from stronger sources of electromagnetism.

And there are studies that have shown that electromagnetism can cause medical problems. Of course I don't remember which researchers were behind it - I think they were Swedish - but anyway, it was reported in Swedish news a while ago that using a cell phone (holding it against your ear) for > 1 hour a day doubled the risk of a certain type of brain tumor.

I certainly don't think electromagnetism is a common cause of IBS, but I don't think it's fair to call the theory nonsense. That's just my opinion.

/Ulrika

#320774 - 12/15/07 11:28 AM
avcavcd

I do not intend to assume that everyone is the same, althought as explained, EMF is the cause of affection of my bowel. In all honesty, I do not know about other IBS sufferers' IBS cause. I am just sharing my findings in the case that it might help someone.
Another matter is that what I believe caused my condition was the long term exposure to an abnormally hight level of magnetic field. I know a thing for sure, since I am not using that screen my worst symptoms are gone.
Hope it helps to someone

#320776 - 12/15/07 11:52 AM
Syl

The research on electromagnetic radiation and health has been going on for decades. Over the past 15 years there has been a large increase in the number of studies that look at the relationship between cell phones and cancer. Also, recently there have been a rash of studies looking at the effect of cell phone use and male fertility. So far I don't think any study has shown a definitive relationship between brain cancer or fertility and cell phone use. I know there are many studies based on small sample sizes that show inconclusive results. If you find a reference to a study which proves there is a definitive connection between cell phones and cancer please pass it along.

But I think we both agree that it quite unlikely that there is a relationship between electromagnetic fields and IBS

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Research: Re: Nonsense ... - Not necessarily for the individual new
      #320778 - 12/15/07 12:05 PM
avcavcd

It might be true that what research shows is what has been found so far.
I just intend to make IBS sufferers who do not find any solution to their condition, to check their environment for abnormal, beyond normal residential levels, magnetic fields which might be causing harm to their health. It was not obvious for me until I pressed a switch off. After that I do not have any doubts. I am not a researcher, and I do not attempt to change whatever research literature might be stating in whatever topic. I just hope that this tip, that helped me, might help someoneelse.

Update: IBS, EMF radiation, Heavy metals poisoning new
      #323280 - 01/27/08 03:28 AM
avcavcd

I would like to update my findings.
I recently have come to the realization that my IBS like condition comes to affect me when nearby electrical transformers, cathodic screens, electrical fans, oil filled radiators with transformers. Hence, in my case the relationship to electromagnetic fields should be restricted to those electrical goods. It seems that those transformers are the ones giving me a hardtime. As soon as I get away from them the irritation stops. Furthermore, I came to the conclusion that I might have a heavy metal poisoning, acumulated in my bowel for whatever reason - there are arguments like from old mercury tooth fillings - which reacts with those electrical goods radiation, which make my bowel go funny.

I found info on chelation and started a program of heavy metal detox by using, garlic, chlorella (algae), coriander, cilantro, MSM and NAC. Soon after I started, my severe constipation caused by the exposure to mainly computer transformers, did stop. I still have the left corner of my bowel very sensitive but I have normal stool movement behaviour.

Hope it helps someone.

Any light on this one?

Edited by avcavcd (01/27/08 03:30 AM)

Re: Research: Re: Nonsense ... - Not necessarily for the individual new
      #323282 - 01/27/08 04:31 AM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Avc.. thank you so much for sharing this information. I have always believed that there must be something environmental that is the root cause for IBS (as well as for many other syndromes, illnesses, diseases). I had never thought of that being electricity - but I will definitely look into this for myself. I don't really care what kind of definitive proof researchers have come up with because that is just the way things go - It takes many decades of research to prove such things and I see no reason to stay at the bottom of that learning curve!

Again, thank you for sharing!!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#323284 - 01/27/08 04:54 AM
CJIBSDG

Are you kidding me Syl??? Please tell me that I'm misunderstanding you and you are not actually telling us that you believe that just because there is no ABSOLUTE DEFINITIVE proof that cell phones are harming us, then they must not be???

In my opinion, there is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION that cell phone usage can and does increase our risk for cancer. Cell phone usage became pretty much the norm about what 10 years ago? I mean, it's within the past 10 years that every household has at least one cell phone. So I would guess it's going to be at least another 10 years before they are able to definitely prove this.

I think it's absolutely ludicrous to wait for definitive proof on such things. Especially when we're talking about a $200 billion per year industry (such as cell phones). Look how long the tobacco industry was able to cover up the dangers of tobacco. And how many lives could have been spared had this cover up not taken place????

As for a relationship between electromagnetic fields and IBS I would not be at all surprised if there is in fact a link. There's certainly no harm in looking into it - Nothing ventured nothing gained.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Re: Research: Re: Nonsense ... - Not necessarily for the individual new
      #323288 - 01/27/08 05:44 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

This is really a scary thought, and I certainly wouldn't rule it out but could it be that IBS people are just more sensitive all over and that's why the electro-magnetic link is more pronounced?

I can remember getting sick a LOT as a kid with tummy bugs and always being put on anti biotics for my asthma.
I think there may be a link to anti biotic use and also to giardia and some poisons that used to be used but are now banned in public.

#323290 - 01/27/08 05:51 AM
Syl

No - not kidding! Remember the days when we thought the earth was flat and science proved this belief was wrong.

Over the past few decades there has been an enormous amount of research done on the role of electromagnetic fields and human health with little evidence of ill effects. So until there is at least some evidence that electromagnetic fields play a role in IBS - for example that getting a CAT scan, X-ray, using the pill cam or working on a computer makes your IBS worse - I think I will stay with the current theories about IBS

However, if you feel there might be a relationship between IBS and using your cell phone by all means don't use it. I am quite content to will wait for the scientific evidence:)

--------------------

#323299 - 01/27/08 07:23 AM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Over the past few decades there has been an enormous amount of research done on the role of electromagnetic fields and human health with little evidence of ill effects. So until there is at least some evidence that electromagnetic fields play a role in IBS - for example that getting a CAT scan, X-ray, using the pill cam or working on a computer makes your IBS worse - I think I will stay with the current theories about IBS

First I would like to point out that while you may have found an enormous amount of studies that indicate that electromagnetic fields have little ill effect, there are NUMEROUS studies that tell us the exact opposite.

Also, my comments were not about the relationship of IBS and electromagnetic fields (although it certainly is possible - anything is after all). My comments were regarding Brain cancer and cell phones which in my own opinion, anyone disputing the likelihood of this must be living under a rock.

--------------------

#323301 - 01/27/08 07:42 AM
Syl

I think I will stick with the opinion of reputable organizations like the National Cancer Institute that concludes "Overall, research has not consistently demonstrated a link between cellular telephone use and cancer or any other adverse health effect."

However, as with all research there is a caveat "more research needs to be done before conclusions can be drawn" I am will to wait for more research to be done .

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4866

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review