All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
WHOLE GRAIN RICE & OATMEAL
      #320756 - 12/15/07 09:54 AM
LOVE

Reged: 12/15/07

IN YOUR LIST OF SOLUBLE FIBER IT SAYS JUST RICE OR OATMEAL, DOES THIS MEAN BROWN RICE AND WHOLE GRAIN OATMEAL IS SAFE? I'M NOT MUCH FOR "INSTANT FOOD" BUT WILL EAT IT IF IT MAKES ME FEEL BETTER (INSTRUCTION SAY NO WHOLE GRAINS) LOOK FORWARD TO A RESPONSE, CRISTIE

Edited by LOVE (12/15/07 11:24 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WHOLE GRAIN RICE & OATMEAL new
      #320787 - 12/15/07 03:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Some whole grains are a mixture of soluble and insoluble fiber. Generally these are well tolerated but not by everyone. Oats are higher in SF than other whole grains and that is why people eat them for cholesterol. So for most, oats and brown rice are safe but not for everyone.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320817 - 12/16/07 09:19 AM
LOVE

Reged: 12/15/07

Thank you for your comments. I would like to hear from others too regarding their experiences eating both refined and unrefined rice and oats.

#320820 - 12/16/07 10:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

I am IBS-D. I cannot eat whole grain rice or oatmeal. They give me gas and bloating. I have no any problems with white rice or de-husked oatmeal.

Generally speaking it is best to start with less foods with more SF than IF and slowly increase IF to the level you can tolerate.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 871

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review