All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Migraines
      #32074 - 12/16/03 07:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So I read that caffeine is good for migraines. (Only if you don't get caffeine regularly and you just use it medicinally for migraines). Will this completely destroy me? Does anyone know of another natural way to deal with migraines? I don't throw up or anything...just bad throbbing pain...

I had some chocolate chips...first time with sugar in about 3 weeks...for the caffeine. The choc. chips are dairy free (Pareve) and I ate them after soluble fiber. I hope I'll be ok...

The headache isn't all gone...but better than it was. I'm gonna try and sleep it off the rest of the way (before it was just too painful to sleep it off).

Thanks for your advice!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Migraines new
      #32090 - 12/16/03 08:36 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Ruchie, I suffer from migraines time to time, try Chamomile for the headache it relaxes the body. There are other natural ways like hot or cold compresses around the nasal cavity to help release pressure, especially if your allergy proned and that can bring one on. Blueberries are a natural way to reduce fever(nat. asprirn compound like cherries), maybe this could help with a headache. Chocolate is a way to get caffiene, but don't risk the IBS reaction and then get things going real bad. Cool dark room and rest can help.
Hope it goes away soon. HUGS!!
Sherri

#32103 - 12/16/03 09:29 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Ruchie--
If you're seeing a practitioner who works with supplements and alternative treatments, you might ask them about feverfew and 5HTP as options. Some people swear by Feverfew, which is available at health food stores.

I get migraines periodically, and I find that Excedrin (which has caffeine in it) helps out. I take Imitrex if I get an extreme migraine with nausea, but I hate the side effects, so I try to avoid it if possible. Plus, I prefer more natural remedies if they work--although when I'm in the middle of a migraine, I'll take just about anything to make it go away!

Recently I was going through a medical test that required me to stay free of salicylates (present in aspirin, Imitrex, etc.) for a few days. Wouldn't you know, I got a migraine! I have been taking tryptophan (in the form of 5HTP) for a sleep disorder, and I had read that it can help headaches. So I took 2 capsules, and my migraine disappeared after about an hour. Worth a try or at least a little more research. 5HTP is also available in health food stores.

BTW, have you figured out if there are foods that trigger your migraines? Chocolate is a common trigger, and there are several others that might be the culprit. For me, migraines decreased significantly when I stopped eating wheat/gluten.

Hope this helps.
Judith

#32104 - 12/16/03 09:34 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Judith your right about the wheat/gluten thing I rarely eat that stuff anymore and haven't had a migraine for over a year now.

#32105 - 12/16/03 09:36 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Ruchie, Sorry that you are ill. I just wanted to tell you that on the www.askrph3.com website, you can listen to their show from this past Saturday that is all about Migraines!!! They do mention the Feverfew that I see posted here. At least that advice would be free!
Hope you are well soon.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#32266 - 12/17/03 04:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Weird, I find chocolate kills me with my migraines. I do find that Solpadeine (which had caffeine in) works faster than the stuff without. Maybe try this? Also, have you tried Imigran? This stuff is my lifeline. I have to wait until I feel really sick to take it or it doesn't work, but it then REALLY helps.

#32271 - 12/17/03 04:50 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I might be unusual, but caffeine kills my migraines. As much as I didn't want to I ended up having to go on preventative medicine. I tried to avoid it for as long as possible, but I couldn't go more than 2 days without a migraine during the summer. It was awful. Now 20lbs and thinner hair later (thanks to the medicine), I very rarely have a migraine. Good Luck!!!

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#32273 - 12/17/03 05:56 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I'm curious -- what did you end up taking? I am also on preventative meds because of frequent meds. I was all of the sudden having them every day too.... Now the meds are working and I am also losing weight... I also think it's the IBS diet too... But I never found out why I was getting the migraines. Did you?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 481 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 997

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review