All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Better with Antibiotics?
      #318391 - 11/12/07 06:44 AM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I just finished 5 days on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. I was really worried about how my IBS would react, but my BMs were more normal. Has anyone else had this happen?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump - Share your experience with antibiotics? n/t new
      #318882 - 11/16/07 07:12 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Re: Better with Antibiotics? new
      #318887 - 11/16/07 07:33 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

You may have problems down the road. Antibiotics don't always have an immediate negative effect, even months later...........

#319538 - 11/26/07 10:19 PM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

I am IBS -C mostly, sometimes D. Last summer I unfortunately was subjected to THREE rounds of antibiotics for a resistant sinus infection. During the last course, which lasted two weeks, I experienced near total relief from all my symptoms. But as soon as I was done with the drugs the IBS came back the same as before. I thought it was interesting anyway. Made me think perhaps there is something to the bacterial theory.

#319549 - 11/27/07 07:37 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I had a round of antibiotics for a UTI a few months ago, but it made me feel worse! I definitely suspect that bacteria plays a large role in my symptoms, and I seem to be doing a little better on probiotics.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#319578 - 11/27/07 11:13 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Which probiotic are you taking?Elenadragon?

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319579 - 11/27/07 11:22 AM
ElenaDragon

I'm taking Digestive Advantage for IBS (the capsules, not the chewables, you have to order the capsules online).

--------------------
Lisa

#319589 - 11/27/07 01:07 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Interesting.. My step dad is taking the Gas preventative in chewable from local pharmacy. But when I checked the label it had sorbitol. So I was scared since that or any aspartame kills me. How long have you been taking them? How did you find out about the capsules? So there helping you?

Thanks,

Deb

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319592 - 11/27/07 01:52 PM
ElenaDragon

I take the capsules because they don't have sorbitol in them. I read about them on the Digestive Advantage website. You can buy the capsules from online places like Amazon and CVS... I got mine from Amazon. I'm not sure why they only sell the chewable ones with sorbitol in stores. They say that the amount of sorbitol in it is really small, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I took them for about a month a while back, and was feeling better, but wasn't sure if it was the probiotics. So I started taking them again about a month ago, and they do seem to help some. I have been having less gas and pain. In the past I tried Primal Defense, another probiotic, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Digestive Advantage is relatively cheap for a probiotic, so I'm sticking with it for a while.

--------------------
Lisa

#322667 - 01/18/08 09:13 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

I just finished 5 days on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. I was really worried about how my IBS would react, but my BMs were more normal. Has anyone else had this happen?

Diane, are you typically more D, C or A? Also what antibiotic did you take? My GI is suggesting that I take antibiotics for my IBS symptoms (actually to see if I have SIBO, the symptoms are basically the same as IBS). I'm really afraid of antibiotics so would love to hear more from you. Are you still IBS symptom free? Please let me know how things are going for you! Thanks

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review