All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Surviving the Holidays
      #318078 - 11/06/07 01:20 PM

Unregistered

I'm just looking for any ideas, tips, suggestions on how everyone survives all of the yummy temptations of the holidays....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Surviving the Holidays new
      #318084 - 11/06/07 01:45 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I am actually looking forward to the holidays.. I am having thanksgiving this year but making it IBS friendly. This way I can control the menu and have things for me to eat. Butter squash soup, turkey, mashed potato's with all with almond/soy milk milk ect.. As far as xmas goes there alway going to be tempatations but I plan on making Shell's famous egg nog bread and Heathers pumpkin apple bread to work, family, friends so I can have a treat too.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#318132 - 11/07/07 07:52 AM

Unregistered

I say bake broil grill saute steam mash everything YOU love to eat. Take your time enjoying the chopping and the cooking and all the smells and the rest of the sensory experience. But cook for YOU and your IBS. Our recipes on these boards are so varied and fantastic -- how could our families not love them, too? Put your focus on the delicious stuff we can have and make sure there's tons of it on hand. I'm having Thanksgiving at my house this year and I'm getting so excited dreaming up Jenny-friendly holiday foods...Good luck with it!

#318143 - 11/07/07 09:18 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

My mom and I are cooking thanksgiving together this year and we are using my milk and butter for mashed potatos and her pasta dish that she makes. The gravy will be on the side for all meals. I am making pumpkin pie and brownies. We are following some recipes from the boards this way I will be able to eat all th staple dishes. I might not be able to eat something that other relatives bring, but between my mom and I there will be at least 4 dishes plus two desserts that I can eat. I can still love thanksgiving and the food just like I used too!! Go through the recipe index and the message board. There are tons of recipes and I use them all the time to cook for myself, my sister and my friends and they taste just like the originals if not better:) Enjoy your holidays!

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#318145 - 11/07/07 09:24 AM

Unregistered

Thank you for your responses...the bad thing is that we're going to relatives houses for dinner (2 different dinners) so I guess I will eat as safely as I can and bring my own side dishes. I like the one for twice baked sweet potatoes! Yummy!

#318150 - 11/07/07 10:49 AM
abby6126

I would definately make your own sides and even a dessert. When ever I go to a friends I always volunteer to make a side dish or even a main meal so that I can safetly eat with my friends and not be the one person who cant eat anything. The turkey should be safe and you can take the shim off it isnt already done. If you bring something of your own for everyone to share than you can enjoy thanksgiving. You can always make one of the great breads on the boards, that way you have a great thing for eveyrone and more SF for yourself prior to trying some of the other foods at the table. Good Luck!

--------------------

#318157 - 11/07/07 12:07 PM

Unregistered

Honey, I say bring an entire bird if it makes you happy. It's family, right? And even if it weren't -- be direct and unconcerned. "Yep, I know it might seem a little weird that I brought soymilk-mashed potatoes, my own stuffing, pumpkin pie, and orange cranberry bread, but the IBS is really acting up these days." We get one life. No reason to starve and feel sad and deprived just to avoid a little social discomfort. Bring the bird.

#318165 - 11/07/07 01:48 PM

Unregistered

#318293 - 11/09/07 08:38 PM
maccrumbs

Reged: 10/23/07

4get all that. I'm pigging out on Thanksgivng and Christmas!! Who's with me??

#318317 - 11/10/07 12:03 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

4get all that. I'm pigging out on Thanksgivng and Christmas!! Who's with me??

Not me . I'm going to spend Thanksgiving at my mom-in-law's and she's very understanding about my diet. I ordered her her own copy of the EFI book so that way she knows what I can/cannot eat when we visit. She will still make some side dishes that I can't eat but are essential to the rest of the family but we discussed a few others that will be safe for me to eat. Plus, we're driving there so I'm bringing a few meals as well. I wish everyone had in-laws as nice as I have! I'm truly blessed!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Surviving the Holidays:zara new
      #318321 - 11/10/07 01:09 PM
abby6126

Zara, I completely agree with you. My family has been fantastic and are really starting to understand what I can and can not eat. We are making thanksgiving very safe for me as well as good food for everyone else to eat. My friends who know about my IBS have been great and ask a lot of questions so they learn more about it. When they ask me to go out to eat or eat over they always make sure that there is food for me to eat. I do hope that one day when I get married that I have in-laws who will be just as great as my friends and family have been!!

I see that you live in Maryland...where? I am in Maryland as well

--------------------

#318341 - 11/11/07 05:31 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Abby, I'm in Columbia. They just opened a new Trader Joe's here, I'm so excited .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318343 - 11/11/07 06:44 AM
abby6126

I work in Towson and Live in White Marsh, not far from Columbia at all!! I love Trader Joes...enjoy it!!

--------------------

#318346 - 11/11/07 11:21 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

last year I got through thanksgiving by making my dinner for me and my bf, we had skinless rosemary turkey breast, and a very convincing modified version of my moms sweet potato casarole, bread machine bread,and apple crisp! so good! we are on our this year for christamas too, and I'm looking forward to cooking, especially little ibs safe gingerbread men!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4980 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4476

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review