All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For Syl and anyone else with fructose sensitivity
      #317973 - 11/05/07 11:01 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I know this has been discussed but now that I'm trying to be more proactive about the gas factor, I need some direction on how to proceed/eliminate/add. As of this point, I have not had any problems with whole wheat and/or most fruits (eaten with sf of course)...no problems meaning no d attacks. However, even though I feel generally stable, I cannot shake the gas/bloat. The irony is that the other night I ate french onion soup and I was actually fine afterwards, go figure. Yet I did notice that a few times when I have eaten grapes I have gotten gas. And it's so terrible...foul odor that makes me so embarrassed. It seems to start about 2-3PM daily and continue until the next morning.

So I realize that if I eat basically "breakfast foods" like oatmeal (raisins are fine), bagels, rice cakes, etc....I don't get the gas. But I'm not sure if the IF that I have via fruit and/or whole wheat is the culprit. I am going to avoid WW for awhile and see what happens. Yet as far as fruit goes, which fruits are okay for a fructose sensitivity and are still IF (I need to get the IF in there as I lean toward C now). I figure if I stick to my SF foods plus add the fruits one at a time and don't do any veggies at first, I'll know if fructose is a problem. It's too hard to tell now b/c by the time I eat my veggies (usually with dinner, sometimes tomato at lunch), I'm already gassy. I swear I think turkey causes some gas in me too when I eat cold cuts on a sandwich. And I am aware of ketchup with HFCS and syrup/dressings...any other major things I should be looking out for? My jelly does not have HFCS. Any help would be appreciated. THanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Syl and anyone else with fructose sensitivity new
      #317983 - 11/05/07 12:11 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

For the moment avoid the fruits and foods containing those fruits and juice listed in the unfavourable foods list given in this message. If you find that this is beneficial then you can experiment with the amount of these fruits and foods that you can tolerate. Also as you mentioned there can be considerable IF in some fruits so you have to take that into consideration too.

You might want to check the contents of cold cuts. Not only do they contain preservatives but they sometimes contain can contain HFCS or corn syrup solids too I cannot eat any cold cuts that I don't prepare myself.

I hope this helps. Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#317984 - 11/05/07 12:18 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Ditto on the cold cut turkey. Hint: buy the organic kind. It doesn't cause gas.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Look for Boars head natural Turkey Breast new
      #317991 - 11/05/07 01:22 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I can not tolerate anytype of lunch meat. I used to buy a turkey breast and cook it at home and slice it down with my mini deli slicer I got at walmart. But now a friend told me about Boars head all natural No nitrets or nitrates or preservatives. The also make ham ect but I only do the
Roasted turkey. I see your from Jersey so you can find it at Giant, or Acme.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: Look for Boars head natural Turkey Breast new
      #317992 - 11/05/07 01:25 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

any other brands?

also and lists of what CAN be eaten? all i see are lists of no-nos and i just get confused and discouraged...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#318063 - 11/06/07 10:00 AM
line415

THank you. I found the info about the turkey interesting. I will try the all natural kind. It was driving me bonkers since it's a good source of mid-day protein for me. (PB gives me major gas too!) The fruits list was interesting too. Oranges usually give me a problem and they are on the okay list. But I do eat melon and watermelon which could be the problem. I'm going to try the fructose avoidance route first and then add in whole wheat and see what happens. Yesterday I didn't have any fruit or WW products but I had lots of broccoli at dinner and I had NO GAS LAST NIGHT. UNBELIEVABLE..I AM HOPEFUL NOW.

--------------------

Re: Look for Boars head natural Turkey Breast new
      #318095 - 11/06/07 03:26 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Applegate farms makes a variety of Organic deli meats and turkey bacon.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#318110 - 11/06/07 06:52 PM
line415

Along this same discussion, would foods with high fructose, ie. cantaloupe, be better tolerated if paired with SF (ie., bagel)like the IF foods on Heather's lists? Or should these foods be treated like triggers? I'm just experimenting to even see if I have a fructose sensitivity and I'm wondering if my results are varying due to when I pair the foods up with SF. Would that make a difference? And also, generally speaking (I know we're all different), how soon after eating these foods would I develop gas? Sometimes it's pronto with a food and other times it's late afternoon through the evening when I wonder if I'm just prone to gas build-up from anything that I eat. Thank you!

--------------------

#318125 - 11/07/07 05:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Eating high fructose foods with in SF will not make any difference to the way your body handles the excess fructose. It is best to think of excess fructose as acting like a trigger.

The gas and bloating can occur shortly or some hours or even the next day after consumption. It depends on many things including how quickly the food is travelling in the GI tract and the amount of the excess fructose consumed. Generally speaking the problems begin when the fructose reaches the colon where the colonic bacteria ferment it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Thanks for clearing that up Syl. n/t new
      #318129 - 11/07/07 06:15 AM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2178

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review